Montana on Brady's longevity

sportjames23

22 hours ago, the lone star said:

He's got a good point, but it comes off a certain way that doesn't make him look too good.

Not his fault. Even he sees how the NFL treats Brady like the 'Golden Boy'. They even changed the rules for Brady when he got hurt. But when Montana gets his knee torn up, nada.

23 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

He’s not wrong. QBs in his era got blasted late, high, and with moves that aren’t allowed nowadays because they injured guys so often. It was also an era where an Achilles or knee injury would essentially end your playing career - the recovery/medical knowledge just wasn’t as good. 

Nobody can really argue against his point. 

Yup.

Brady's ACL injury might have ended his career if he were playing in 1986. 

54 minutes ago, Phire said:

Joe is right and I'm not sure that's really debatable. 

Joe has two peers in Elway and Marino who played roughly as long as Brady. Unitas back in the 60’s was closer as well.. 

He just wasn’t as durable 

The crazy thing about the Montana and Brady comparisons is that Brady is still playing.  It's insane to me that Brady has surpassed the guy who used to be the consensus best of all-time and he's still playing at a ridiculously high level.  Brady is just going to keep adding to his Godly resume.

49 minutes ago, showtime said:

The crazy thing about the Montana and Brady comparisons is that Brady is still playing.  It's insane to me that Brady has surpassed the guy who used to be the consensus best of all-time and he's still playing at a ridiculously high level.  Brady is just going to keep adding to his Godly resume.

Its because his diet/exercise is so good. Top it off with great genetics and 21st century medical technology.

Montana didnt have any of that really. I mean he had the flu and they gave him chicken noodle soup

42 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Its because his diet/exercise is so good. Top it off with great genetics and 21st century medical technology.

Montana didnt have any of that really. I mean he had the flu and they gave him chicken noodle soup

If only back then they knew that all they needed was some avocado ice cream..

4 hours ago, lancerman said:

Joe has two peers in Elway and Marino who played roughly as long as Brady. Unitas back in the 60’s was closer as well.. 

He just wasn’t as durable 

But both of those guys also missed time. They didn't have these ridiculous start streaks going into their mid to late thirties. No one did back then. 

I will say, I still think Montana would have trouble staying healthy in today's era. Even with all the resources at his disposal, and a league that protects the QB more. 

40 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

But both of those guys also missed time. They didn't have these ridiculous start streaks going into their mid to late thirties. No one did back then. 

I will say, I still think Montana would have trouble staying healthy in today's era. Even with all the resources at his disposal, and a league that protects the QB more. 

Montana had the frailest looking legs I've ever seen on a football player.

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

No but Elway and Marino were like 10 and 20 games off of Brady career wise 

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

No but Elway and Marino were like 10 and 20 games off of Brady career wise 

Ok. That doesn't really distract from my point though. Or Joe's. Both of those guys missed time as they got older due to injury. Brady hasn't missed a game due to being hurt in nearly 10 years. And he's 40. I think Brees has missed one game due to injury since 2005. Eli had his streak, but was benched. Rivers hasn't missed a game since 2006. Ryan 2009. These streaks all are all top ten all time currently. Most of those guys are recent players. Streaks like that didn't happen in the 80's. Or rather, you didn't have a ton of guys doing it. 

Montana's other peers missed time too. Fouts, Moon, Kelly, White, Anderson.

On 4/17/2018 at 7:33 AM, lancerman said:

It’s easier, but Montana was a lot more brittle than many of his peers comparatively. Guys like Marino and Elway held up much better. And tbh Brady in his early days took some big hits, he’s slways been pretty durable outside of a freak injury. 

So there’s some truth to it, but a lot of it is just Montana being salty. It’s like when Montana was asked about whether Brady was the best ever and he went into a long diatribe about how you can’t compare across era’s until his wife interjected that he calls himself the best at home. Some truth, some competeivness to not give up the crown. 

Its easy to say how good players would be from back then now . But reverse it ... how many of these nancy pretty boy types would last back then .  IMO Brady and Eli would be dead dcuks 

Archived