FGK's One and Only

FGK

Alright, time for my only mock draft of the year. This is mostly what I want us to do, while trying to keep it somewhat realistic on what we can get in trades and who will be available when. I'll do all picks for the first bit, and then just ours once I get bored. Just assume we take the QB you love. If it's Darnold, assume we don't move down to #2 and just take him at #1.

Round 1

1. New York Giants via CLE (CLE receives NYG's #2 pick and their 2019 1st round pick)

Sam Darnold…QB…USC...

Our Darnold/Allen love has all been a smokescreen and it pays off here. Dorsey has long been famed for his QB smokescreens, basically never tipping his hand. And here, it turns into us getting a future first round pick to let someone else take the QB we didn't plan on taking anyway. Which leaves us to get...

2. Cleveland Browns

Baker Mayfield…QB…Oklahoma

Boom goes the dynamite. The Browns investigations come back that Mayfield doesn't have substance problems and just had a bad night at a party as a twenty year old. On the field, they love Mayfield's ability to hit all the throws. Off the field, they knew they needed a special leader and they get it in Baker "The Pied Piper" Mayfield. They needed a guy who would come in and change the culture, and Mayfield is clearly the one of the top guys most likely to bring that to the table

3. New York Jets (from IND)

Josh Rosen…QB…UCLA…

The Jets get the steal, just by virtue of getting the third QB in a draft that has three clear top QBs. They paid a lot to do it, and I think they were planning on coming out of it with Mayfield, but they take what they can get.

4. Buffalo Bills via CLE (Buffalo gives up #12, #22, #53, and a 2019 1st)

Josh Allen…QB…Wyoming…

First, the trade. Chubb, Ward, and Barkley are all good players for their positions. But none of them are a Watt, Julio/Green level talent in terms of singlehandedly changing things for their side of the ball. So when Buffalo offers the moon to move up for the last QB that they love (they just dumped Tyrod, they're not taking Lamar), Cleveland listens. Allen is a massive reach here and a probable bust... which makes that future #1 all the more enticing for us.

5. Denver Broncos

Quenton Nelson…OG…Notre Dame…

Denver is left in the enviable position of getting their pick of the non-QBs... but are also ticked because they were kinda hoping for a QB. They elect to take the best offensive lineman in the draft to shore up their terrible line play and help their offense as a whole.

6. Indianapolis Colts (from NYJ)

Bradley Chubb... DE... NC State...

And the Colts evil plan works out perfectly, as they get the guy they probably would've taken at #3 and get three extra second round picks to boot.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Saquon Barkley... RB... Penn State

IMO, this is pretty much the Barkley floor. They get a dynamic pass catcher and outside runner who does have some questions about his grit and balance in between the tackles.

8. Chicago Bears

Derwin James... SS... FSU

The Bears are really hard to draft for here. I think if Nelson drops here then he is the pick. But he doesn't. So I go with some versatile secondary help in the form of Derwin James.

9. Cleveland Browns via SF (CLE gets #9 and #59, SF gets #12 and #35)

Denzel Ward…CB…OSU…

I would love to stay at #12 and hope for one of Ward/Landry to drop as well, but I think if Ward lasted this long it would be too tempting to use some our day 2 cache to go up and get him. 

From here, I'll just do Browns picks.

22. Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan - Hurst is underrated because he is not an elite athlete. But my Lord is he good. Best DT in the draft IMO and perfect or what we apparently want to do, put pressure on the passer all the flipping time.

(TRADE: We give up #33, #150, and #175 to move up to #27)

27. D.J. Moore, WR, Maryland - Anyone who has seen me posting about skill position players knows that this was coming. I think Moore is the best WR this year, his athletic testing was elite, and his style of play reminds me of a prime Steve Smith (the good one). If he gets this far, I would be totally fine giving up picks to go up and get him.

53. Mark Walton, RB, Miami - If he hadn't been hurt this year, I think he could've been in the discussion with Guice/Michel for the #2 RB slot. The guy flashes a special power/speed/elusiveness combo. He's the perfect in between to Hyde/Duke.

59. Brian O'Neill, OT, Pitt - You can put whoever your favorite developmental OT is in this slot. O'Neill, Jamarco Jones, Desmond Harrison, whoever.

64. Shaqueem Griffin, LB/SS/Edge, UCF - This, along with Baker, is how you change a team's culture overnight. Just try to tell me guys don't see Griffin giving his all in the weight room and in practices and say, "damned if I'm gonna let him outwork me!" 

114. Tre'Quan Smith, WR, UCF - I think Smith might go earlier than this. He's a good player and should be a solid #4 WR for years to come, if not more.

188. Kameron Kelly, FS, SDSU - Getting Randall was huge for the secondary, but we still need some depth behind him. Kelly is a ball hawk. You could put Dane Cruikshanks in this slot too and I'd love it.

So the Depth chart would look something like:

QB - Tyrod Taylor, Baker Mayfield, Drew Stanton
RB - Carlos Hyde, Duke Johnson, Mark Walton, Matt Dayes
WR - Josh Gordon, Jarvis Landry, Corey Coleman, D.J. Moore, Tre'Quan Smith
TE - David Njoku, Seth Devalve, Darren Fells
OT - Shon Coleman, Chris Hubbard, Roderick Johnson, Brian O'Neill, Donald Stephenson
OG - Joel Bitonio, Kevin Zeitler, Spencer Drango
C - J.C. Tretter, Marcus Martin, Austin Reiter

DE - Myles Garrett, Emmanuel Ogbah, Chris Smith, Carl Nassib, Nate Orchard
DT - Larry Ogunjobi, Maurice Hurst, Caleb Brantley, Jamie Meder, Trevon Coley
LB - Jamie Collins, Christian Kirksey, Joe Schobert, James Burgess, Tank Carder
SS/Hybrid - Jabril Peppers, Shaqueem Griffin, Derrick Kindred
FS - Damarious Randall, Kameron Kelly, Kai Nacua
CB - Denzel Ward, E.J. Gaines, Jamar Taylor, Brien Boddy Calhoun, Terrance Mitchell, Travis Carrie, Howard Wilson

Needs for next year: DE, OT, C

The trade up to 9 sucks. Love the player would rather keep the Top 45 pick especially in this draft. The value does not line up on the old chart and it is even further off base in my study of the draft that shows a clear divide right around pick 45. 

I'd rather sit at #12 and hope Ward falls to us and if he doesn't then Alexander and Hughes are excellent CB prospects as well.

7 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

The trade up to 9 sucks. Love the player would rather keep the Top 45 pick especially in this draft. The value does not line up on the old chart and it is even further off base in my study of the draft that shows a clear divide right around pick 45. 

I'd rather sit at #12 and hope Ward falls to us and if he doesn't then Alexander and Hughes are excellent CB prospects as well.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind doing the same. That was one of those realism moments where I felt like I couldn't see Dorsey staying put with all those sweet sweet draft picks burning a hole in his pocket. I'd probably prefer Alexander and Guice to Ward and Walton.

Pretty much exactly where in at with picks and trades. I think 64 is too high for Griffin as stated in the other thread because we aren't looking for an immediate LB especially. I love all the first rounders. If we don't trade up, give me Landry at 12 all day if Ward is gone.

My one actual gripe is that I could see Walton there in the fourth round. I'm a huge fan, but he's been banged up, is small, and this is a deep class. I'm gonna make a freakyTayne conglomerate draft.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

WE will definitely be thankful for all of those first rounders when we need them to acquire a real QB after blowing the number 2 pick. ;)

He said Darnold is going number 1. Read for comprehension. *shakes head*

Hee Hee!  I love Mayfield,  but I don't think he is the pick.  Love the trade with the Giants.  Ultimately, I think Allen will be our guy.  Do not care for the other picks.  We need to come away from this draft with either Barkley or Chubb (if I had my choice, it would be both, I am confident in Taylor with the offense that is being built around him and Haley, but that is still unlikely).

Archived