Mock offseason ( less than 2 weeks till draft! )

SimbaWho

Lions release: 10.5 million estimated.

RB, Dwayne Washington

RB, Zach Zenner

OL, Emmett Cleary

OLB, Cam Johnson

DT, Christian Ringo

DL, Cornelius Washington

DL, Jeremiah Ledbetter

DT, Akeem Spence

QB, Matt Cassel

WR, TJ Jones

Signings:

-          Lions sign WR Dez Bryant to a 1 year deal worth 7.5 million dollars. 3.5 million dollar signing bonus, 4 million dollar salary.  

-     Lions sign DT Jonathan Hankins to a 1 year deal worth 4.5 million, 1.5 million dollar signing bonus, 3 million dollar salary.

-     Lions sign RB C.J. Anderson to a 1 year deal worth 4 million, 2 million dollar signing bonus, 2 million dollar salary.

-          Lions claim DL Malik McDowell.

Trade:

Lions trade the 20th pick.

Texans trade DE/OLB Whitney Mercilus and their 2019 1st round pick.

Draft:

2nd- Billy Price, OL. Ohio State. ( 6’3, 310lbs. )

3rd- Frank Ragnow, C. Arkansas. ( 6’5, 315lbs. )

4th- Tim Settle, DT. Virgina Tech. ( 6'3, 335lbs. )

5th- Kevin Toliver, CB. LSU. ( 6’2, 205lbs. )

7th- Allen Lazard, WR. Iowa State. ( 6’5, 230lbs. )

Roster:

Offense:
OT: Ricky Wagner, Joe Dahl

OG: T.J. Lang, Kenny Wiggins
OC: Frank Ragnow,
Wesley Johnson
OG: Billy Price, Graham Glasgow

OT: Taylor Decker, Brian Mihalik

TE: Luke Wilson, Levine Toliolo, Michael Roberts

WR: Dez Bryant, Marvin Jones, Golden Tate, Kenny Golladay, Al Lazard

RB: C.J. Anderson, LeGarrette Blount, Theo Riddick, Ameer Abdullah
QB: Matt Stafford, Jake Ruddock

Defense:

DE: A’ Shawn Robinson, Ricky Jean-Francois

DT: Jonathan Hankins, Sylvester Williams, Tim Settle
DE: Malik McDowell, Kerry Hyder, Anthony Zettel

OLB: Ziggy Ansah, Devon Kennard

ILB: Christian Jones, Jalen Reeves-Maybin

ILB: Jarrad Davis, Nick Bellore
OLB: *Whitney Mercilus* Jonathan Freeny
CB: Darius Slay, DeShawn Shead, Jamal Agnew

S: Glover Quinn, Miles Killebrew

S: Quandre Diggs, *Tavon Wilson*

CB: *Nevin Lawson*, Teez Tabor, Kevin Toliver

Special Teams:
K: Matt Pratter
P: Sam Martin
LS: *Don Mulbach*

KR/PR: Jamal Agnew

I always appreciate the effort with a full depth chart and everything. At the same time, I just don't see this being anywhere close to a viable option.

Dez: We have two 1,000 yard receivers, a young up and coming 2nd year guy in Golloday and they've tendered TJ Jones. The passing attack has not been our issue, so I don't think that this really fixes our issues on offense.

Cassell: I don't love the signing but they obviously wanted to bring in a veteran guy behind Stafford instead of relying soley on Rudock. Barring a total meltdown in camp or Rudock exceeding expectations Cassell is likely going to on the roster

Doesn't hurt the team in anyway to sign Dez Bryant in this case though, and no WR wasn't particularly a problem but it's not a problem to continue making it a strength either... Prolly realistically don't have a chance at Dez Bryant but if it was possible and the cost was just money for 1 year and cutting TJ Jones are you really saying you wouldn't do that? This would likely be the best most talented WR core in the league for 2018, I don't get why it's "bad". Or not viable.

His addition can make Tate better too allowing him to play the slot a lot more often where he does really well. I thought this signing could look like something similar to what the Colts threw out with Manning in Harrison/Wayne/Stokely in the early 2000's. With Golladay being versatile/good enough to step in on odd downs for all three guys, at certain points in the game. The match up problems those three can create by moving Dez/Tate inside or outside really gets interesting.

Seriously, if they keep Matt Cassell on the roster week 1,  This staff is doomed before it begins. I'd bet you real good money, or at least your favorite drink, that he won't be there.

I thought you'd hate the Houston trade mostly.

Or Malik McDowell... which is just sort of me thinking the organization might dip their toes in the hot water to see if they can stand it. It's a cheap option to collect D-line talent to just claim him off waivers if Seattle releases him or whatever.

1 hour ago, SimbaWho said:

Doesn't hurt the team in anyway to sign Dez Bryant in this case though, and no WR wasn't particularly a problem but it's not a problem to continue making it a strength either... Prolly realistically don't have a chance at Dez Bryant but if it was possible and the cost was just money for 1 year and cutting TJ Jones are you really saying you wouldn't do that? This would likely be the best most talented WR core in the league for 2018, I don't get why it's "bad". Or not viable.

His addition can make Tate better too allowing him to play the slot a lot more often where he does really well. I thought this signing could look like something similar to what the Colts threw out with Manning in Harrison/Wayne/Stokely in the early 2000's. With Golladay being versatile/good enough to step in on odd downs for all three guys, at certain points in the game. The match up problems those three can create by moving Dez/Tate inside or outside really gets interesting.

Seriously, if they keep Matt Cassell on the roster week 1,  This staff is doomed before it begins. I'd bet you real good money, or at least your favorite drink, that he won't be there.

I thought you'd hate the Houston trade mostly.

Or Malik McDowell... which is just sort of me thinking the organization might dip their toes in the hot water to see if they can stand it. It's a cheap option to collect D-line talent to just claim him off waivers if Seattle releases him or whatever.

I'm not thrilled with the Houston trade, just didn't get a chance to put all of my comments in line. I would prefer to trade down and grab some extra picks for this draft. The fact that you're getting a future year 1st doesn't hurt and does make the trade more palatable.

I'm not opposed to McDowell provided that he's healthy enough to get on the field. I have no issues with trying to grab him as a cheap option to address our problems on the DL. I wouldn't rely on him being the fix so I would expect that we'd still draft DL and take whatever he can give us as a bonus.

On further review, while I like adding to the OL I don't like the idea of two rookie starters in Price and Ragnow. I think Glasgow would likely start over Ragnow. If Ragnow is the heir apparent then I can work with that.

7 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I'm not thrilled with the Houston trade, just didn't get a chance to put all of my comments in line. I would prefer to trade down and grab some extra picks for this draft. The fact that you're getting a future year 1st doesn't hurt and does make the trade more palatable.

I'm not opposed to McDowell provided that he's healthy enough to get on the field. I have no issues with trying to grab him as a cheap option to address our problems on the DL. I wouldn't rely on him being the fix so I would expect that we'd still draft DL and take whatever he can give us as a bonus.

On further review, while I like adding to the OL I don't like the idea of two rookie starters in Price and Ragnow. I think Glasgow would likely start over Ragnow. If Ragnow is the heir apparent then I can work with that.

I think the last part of your post is the most pressing thing for me. I dont think we need to draft back to back online.  I feel we could grab one of those Rbs out there. Ideally in the 3rd for me would be Royce Freeman, if that is even still realistic. 

We have no long term outlook with the depth at running back. Blount, Anderson, and Abdullah all have expiring contracts and varying degrees of risk. Riddick would have 1 year left on his deal. We need some solid youth added there.

Also, I dont want Dez. I would rather keep TJ Jones. I have always thought Dez is overrated. Jones provides us very quality special teams play, while always catching the ball when it goes his way.

I am cool with the trade as it nets a quality defender now, and strong draft equity down the road.

8 hours ago, BarryTheBest said:

I think the last part of your post is the most pressing thing for me. I dont think we need to draft back to back online.  I feel we could grab one of those Rbs out there. Ideally in the 3rd for me would be Royce Freeman, if that is even still realistic. 

We have no long term outlook with the depth at running back. Blount, Anderson, and Abdullah all have expiring contracts and varying degrees of risk. Riddick would have 1 year left on his deal. We need some solid youth added there.

Also, I dont want Dez. I would rather keep TJ Jones. I have always thought Dez is overrated. Jones provides us very quality special teams play, while always catching the ball when it goes his way.

I am cool with the trade as it nets a quality defender now, and strong draft equity down the road.

I don't disagree with you. I don't think that we HAVE to take two OL back to back. We probably don't even have to take two OL in the entire draft. If the value is there and we have extra picks, it is possible that we do that. Lang isn't going to be around forever. I just don't see the two rookie picks being starters over Glasgow in one of those positions.

Agree that a RB is a much bigger priority than double dipping on OL.

I like the trade back idea(did you steal that from espn's bill Barnwell)? like the fact we'd have 2 1st rds in 2019. the Cj Anderson could be a sneaky good signing but I think he's going to the dolphins. the Dez signing is w/e as long as he doesn't start to complain about not getting the ball and were winning id be fine with it.   I like the Price signing I kinda wanted him in the first before the injury

13 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

I like the trade back idea(did you steal that from espn's bill Barnwell)? like the fact we'd have 2 1st rds in 2019. the Cj Anderson could be a sneaky good signing but I think he's going to the dolphins. the Dez signing is w/e as long as he doesn't start to complain about not getting the ball and were winning id be fine with it.   I like the Price signing I kinda wanted him in the first before the injury

Possibly, It helps that somewhere someone pointed out Whitney Mercilus has been a top 15 3-4 olb the last couple seasons; And he's signed for two more years, making losing Ansah next season or mid season if Lions aren't good and we trade him, easier to take.

Ansah could be trade bait in this scenario if Lions are way behind the playoff picture Mid October.

I don't see the Lions making any of those signings. I think that it would make for a great Madden team but I don't really see the Lions targeting any of those players. I'm OK with most of the picks - I don't mind the idea of doubling down on the offensive line. I'm all for the Lions continuing to throw dollars and high picks at offensive lineman until they figure things out there. 

3 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

Possibly, It helps that somewhere someone pointed out Whitney Mercilus has been a top 15 3-4 olb the last couple seasons; And he's signed for two more years, making losing Ansah next season or mid season if Lions aren't good and we trade him, easier to take.

Ansah could be trade bait in this scenario if Lions are way behind the playoff picture Mid October.

According to reports, they view Ansah as their splash signing of the off-season. They must be hoping to get him re-signed without totally blowing the bank. I think they'll let the season play out and either tag and trade for the 2019 draft or let him walk and get a 3rd comp pick for 2020 if they can't re-sign him. If the Lions are looking to trade Ansah in October, it has definitely not been a good start for the Matty P and Bob Q show.

1 hour ago, Lions017 said:

I don't see the Lions making any of those signings. I think that it would make for a great Madden team but I don't really see the Lions targeting any of those players. I'm OK with most of the picks - I don't mind the idea of doubling down on the offensive line. I'm all for the Lions continuing to throw dollars and high picks at offensive lineman until they figure things out there. 

Ha, Yeah I can buy that I mean I thought it too a little bit, especially how this front office acts, like, it's clearly a rebuild/evaluation year based on EVERYTHING they've done but they'll tell the fans the teams was close, and is good but they're just not going for it.

I think the team is in significantly worst positions this year than last year for a playoff birth. The only real hope I have is Patricia turns into something like Mike Zimmer or McVay and players have career years under him. An that's just a complete unknown... there's nothing but faith to lean on there which, faith in a Lions organization...LOL, someone might be crazy literally to have that.

32 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

According to reports, they view Ansah as their splash signing of the off-season. They must be hoping to get him re-signed without totally blowing the bank. I think they'll let the season play out and either tag and trade for the 2019 draft or let him walk and get a 3rd comp pick for 2020 if they can't re-sign him. If the Lions are looking to trade Ansah in October, it has definitely not been a good start for the Matty P and Bob Q show.

They're doing very vanilla already. It shouldn't surprise people based off who they play that the Lions will be out of the playoffs by week 8. I literally expect 11 losses next season. It's why all my post seem unimpressed and irritable lol, but it's the truth in that I've already lost hope for next season based on how they acted this offseason, and last offseason.

Bob Quinn is not building a roster to win...

Patricia is my only hope...

1 minute ago, SimbaWho said:

They're doing very vanilla already. It shouldn't surprise people based off who they play that the Lions will be out of the playoffs by week 8. I literally expect 11 losses next season. It's why all my post seem unimpressed and irritable lol, but it's the truth in that I've already lost hope for next season based on how they acted this offseason, and last offseason.

Bob Quinn is not building a roster to win...

I'm more cautiously optimistic and haven't packed things in just yet. The Lions have surprised me in good and bad ways. I don't expect us to step back any worse than 8-8. We still have a lot of the pieces that brought us to 9-7 last year and we could have had a better record with a few other breaks. Continuity does help -  Stafford and Jim Bob are a good pairing. Run game should be improved. Defense should be fairly similar or a touch better. The rest of the division has improved so it'll be a tough go.

What should happen vs what actually happens isn't the same thing. We shall see what happens.

46 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

What do you think should happen if they are a 6-10 team next year?

Add more pieces and expect to be a 10-6+ team the year after. I don't expect any significant changes until 2020/2021. The Lions will give Bob Quinn some room and Matt Patricia will have 3 seasons to implement his plan. They would have to really meltdown to blow it up before 2021 season.

A healthy Rodgers, an improved Vikings squad, a slightly feistier Bears squad could all make the initial season a bit more challenging. One off year adjusting to a new coach, system, etc. isn't the end of the world. Two mediocre years, etc. is a concerning sign. A third year like that and it means the Patriots - Motor City Edition experiment didn't work. Bob Quinn will have been building that roster for 5 years by then. I expect he'd be out first depending on what happens.

Archived