So Many Picks.....What Positions ??

cannondale

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

There are four on the roster at the moment. Jimmy Graham, Richard Rodgers, Emanuel Byrd and Robert Tonyan.

They might not be exactly what you want, coming into training camp, but the numbers are there. I know you haven't see Byrd and Tonyan on the field yet (two catches for Byrd last season, none for Tonyan), but there may be a spot (mostly) on ST, available this year if they take a jump (which is why MM likes TE's.......... he likes the body type for STs (he likes linebackers there as well). While a good TE would be very nice, this year is a bit thin there. Having Graham on board allows the Packers to spend those day one and two picks on OLB, CB, WR. They could go TE in round three (instead of WR), but I'm betting they don't. I'd be less surprised by an OL in the first three rounds (though I don't expect that, either).

While you should never say never, the way the draft seems likely to fall this year, coupled with the Packers needs, suggests to me that Graham was acquired specifically to lessen the need for an immediate starter-level TE. I do expect to see a starter-level TE to be taken next year. This year, I'm guessing at round 4 being the earliest they address TE, and possibly another taken late, if the development potential is there.

Other two are practice squad guys at best.  We need talent at the position.  They don't need an immediate starter that's why we signed Graham.  The position needs a serious upgrade.  We'll see how Gute handles it.  Depends on how the draft falls.  There is some talent this year.  We'll land a top 5 TE and an athletic developmental prospect would be my guess.  They could take 3 guys like they did at RB last year.  The position needs quality depth.  There is none.  I'll agree we do need another WR also.  Depends on who is on board when they pick.  Doubt they use a 2 also but it's possible.  Richard Rodgers is gone.  Lance Kendricks is still on the team.

Archived