So Many Picks.....What Positions ??

cannondale

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

QB - 0 (We have enough youth at this position)
RB - 1 (I'd like a late round pick to push for RB3)
WR - 2 (One in Day 2, one late Day 3ish)
TE - 1 (One Late Day 2 or Early Day 3)
OL - 2 (Early Day 3ish)
DL - 1 (Late Day 3ish)
ILB - 1 (Early-to-Mid Day 3)
EDGE - 2 (One Day 1 or Early Day 2, One Early Day 3)
CB - 2  (One Day 1 or Early Day 2, One Early Day 3)
S - 1 (Day 2)

You're such a bummer CW. I dont see Edmunds in this draft HA! (Just kidding.....while I cry!)

The only template that I'd stick to is that the first four picks, barring an unforeseen fluke, should be a combo of EDGE, CB, TE, WR.  After that you balance the draft out creating competition at as many positions as possible.  Don't be afraid to grab multiple CBs or LBs.  Other than that I only see room on the roster for one rookie WR, one rookie TE.  We do need to grab another RB for competition because none of our RBs stayed healthy. Don't draft a QB. You can get another camp arm in UDFA.

Certainly the club is in need of corners, edge rushers and play making wide receivers.  Also can use some depth on the o-line.

I hope they draft for quality in this draft and not quantity.  Use those picks, trade up and secure guys that fit the system that you want to run.  Put a premium on leadership high, and if it means giving up picks to secure a kid like Fitz, do it.

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

"I hope they draft for quality in this draft and not quantity.  Use those picks, trade up and secure guys that fit the system that you want to run"

The "Thumbs Up" emoticon (if it existed) would go here.

16 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Certainly the club is in need of corners, edge rushers and play making wide receivers.  Also can use some depth on the o-line.

I hope they draft for quality in this draft and not quantity.  Use those picks, trade up and secure guys that fit the system that you want to run.  Put a premium on leadership high, and if it means giving up picks to secure a kid like Fitz, do it.

I'm with you there. I want to see: 

2 CBs

1 Edge if drafted high or 2 if lower

1 TE 

1 WR  

1 OL (College OT) 

1 Safety 

14 hours ago, CWood21 said:

No thanks.  I prefer fresh legs at RB.  Most veteran backs who are quality are gone, and the ones who are interested in coming probably aren't a real upgrade over what we've already got.

I assumed that meant UDFA.

All you guys have us taking only 1 TE.   MM has stated ideally he'd like to have 4-5 TE's on the roster.  Right now we have 2.  Think Gute will hit this position hard as it is the weakest IMO.  2-3 TE's in this draft.

OLB 2

CB 2

OL 2

TE 2-3

WR 1-2

DL 1

S 1

Something along those lines is what I am thinking.  Gute will do the BPA thing and follow the strength of the draft.  Won't shock me if we go TE in Rd. 2.

3 hours ago, Scoremore said:

All you guys have us taking only 1 TE.   MM has stated ideally he'd like to have 4-5 TE's on the roster.  Right now we have 2.  Think Gute will hit this position hard as it is the weakest IMO.  2-3 TE's in this draft.

There are four on the roster at the moment. Jimmy Graham, Richard Rodgers, Emanuel Byrd and Robert Tonyan.

They might not be exactly what you want, coming into training camp, but the numbers are there. I know you haven't see Byrd and Tonyan on the field yet (two catches for Byrd last season, none for Tonyan), but there may be a spot (mostly) on ST, available this year if they take a jump (which is why MM likes TE's.......... he likes the body type for STs (he likes linebackers there as well). While a good TE would be very nice, this year is a bit thin there. Having Graham on board allows the Packers to spend those day one and two picks on OLB, CB, WR. They could go TE in round three (instead of WR), but I'm betting they don't. I'd be less surprised by an OL in the first three rounds (though I don't expect that, either).

While you should never say never, the way the draft seems likely to fall this year, coupled with the Packers needs, suggests to me that Graham was acquired specifically to lessen the need for an immediate starter-level TE. I do expect to see a starter-level TE to be taken next year. This year, I'm guessing at round 4 being the earliest they address TE, and possibly another taken late, if the development potential is there.

4 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Kerridge and moreso Rip are that body type as well when you're talking about ST's  and Byrd is under contract, no? 

Archived