Predict The Pick v.2 - 15 - Cardinals

Texas_OutLaw7

Who should the Cardinals Draft with the 15th overall pick?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who should the Cardinals Draft with the 15th overall pick?

• Lamar Jackson - QB - Louisville
    • Derrius Guice - RB - LSU
    • Ronald Jones II - RB - USC
    • DJ Moore - WR - Maryland
    • Calvin Ridley - WR - Alabama
    • Mike McGlinchey - OL - Notre Dame
    • Kolton Miller - OL - UCLA
    • Isaiah Wynn - OL - Georgia
    • Connor Williams - OL - Texas
    • Will Hernandez - OL - Texas El-Paso
    • Taven Bryan - DT - Florida
    • Maurice Hurst - DT - Michigan
    • Da’Ron Payne - DT - Alabama
    • Marcus Davenport - EDGE - UTSA
    • Leighton Vander Esch - LB - Boise State
    • Rashaan Evans - LB - Alabama
    • Jaire Alexander - CB - Louisville
    • Josh Jackson - CB - Iowa
    • Mike Hughes - CB - Central Florida
    • Other (Please explain)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/19/2018 at 02:02 AM

11 minutes ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

Dude can't hit a 15 yard out route. Can't use #15 on that, way too early for him. If we are that honed in on him, I'd expect a trade back

He can hit the route once his mechanics are properly coached. He fails to hit specific outside routes because he does not set his hips and feet to throw the route. He has the arm to make the throw but lacks the proper technique.

And you would not be selecting him in aspirations of him throwing those types of routes, anyway. Youd be selecting him knowing the kinds of routes he can throw.now, the types of routes he needs to be coached on, and the dynamic ways in which he can score for your team from any spot of the field.

Look at Watson. Same issues. Poor feet, poor hips, struggled with quick breaking routes to the outside, never properly aligned his shoulders...so they adjusted the routes as he was learning. More vertical routes to buy him space to run if needed (moving the dbs far away from the LOS with vertical routes) and letting him run more rookie-esque sets of passing concepts. Kid couod have been the first rookie MVP had he stayed healthy - he was scoring every possible way and making it look easy.

A good staff will change the calls to adjust tonwhat a player does best, while teaching them to do more. If you draft a player/dont draft a player of this caliber insisting they need to do/cant do what you want, you are severely limiting yourself in what franchise building players you can bring to your team. While that was fine in the 70s, 80s, 90s, it has become less and less feasible to limit yourself in that way throughout the 2000s - it is now a very rare thing here in 2018. Caps are too confining, you get such small windows now that you absolutely must cash in and select the franchise building players when available and figure out how and where to play them. A good staff will make it work.

2 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

He can hit the route once his mechanics are properly coached. He fails to hit specific outside routes because he does not set his hips and feet to throw the route. He has the arm to make the throw but lacks the proper technique.

This is far more easier said than done. This isn't the same process at Watson. Watson was much more refined than Jackson is, and not only that but Watson was a proven leader with championship experience. (Your also on crack if you think he could've won the MVP) Jackson is just pure athletic talent that you are drafting him off of. You not only have to completely change his throwing style, but you have to add in injury concerns with a small body frame, and general dangerous style of play. Now that being said, the reward is incredibly high if it pays off. But I don't think Jackson is anywhere close to a sure thing, and reports have said that the Cards agree with me. 

24 minutes ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

This is far more easier said than done. This isn't the same process at Watson. Watson was much more refined than Jackson is, and not only that but Watson was a proven leader with championship experience. (Your also on crack if you think he could've won the MVP) Jackson is just pure athletic talent that you are drafting him off of. You not only have to completely change his throwing style, but you have to add in injury concerns with a small body frame, and general dangerous style of play. Now that being said, the reward is incredibly high if it pays off. But I don't think Jackson is anywhere close to a sure thing, and reports have said that the Cards agree with me. 

In six starts, Watson had 19 passing scores and 2 rushing scores, with shy of 300 rushing yards and about 1700 passing yards. Keeping on that pace, but being a bit more modest in the totals, would have yielded, over a full season, About 40 TDs, 5 rushing tds, around 640 rushing yards, and 3600 passing yards. Cam Newton won.MVP with similar numbers, and no passer in the league would have had as manny total TDs as Watson last year on that pace; and he would have led the league in total yardage out of any QB.

So...yes. He could have easily been and mvp keeping with that pace (and he showed no signs of slowing down, continually posting 3 and 4 TD games everytime we thought he would come back down to reality) had he stayed healthy.

Now, as for Jackson - have you watched actual film on the kid? Or are you just reading uneducated blogs and stuff? Watxh the film - NOT HIGHLIGHT REELS - but actual sky cam/full field footage of him play. He is far more than an athlete.

He has one of the best deep balls available this year, merging the deep field accuracy of Darnold with the vertical velocity of Mayfield. He has sound technique on routes down field and over the middle, and has played in a PRO SYSTEM with full on professional route combinations, having to make the same pro reads as seen in Andy Reid, Doug Pederson, Sean McVay and Kyle Shannahan systems, just to name a few HCs running those route trees consistently. 

Just because he is dynamic and quite able to outrun most defenses and tallied more rushing yardage than Barkley in the same time frame does not mean he is not a quality passer, too. This is not Tim Tebow or Braxton Miller or Terrelle Pryor here. This kid can pass, and he can do it well, with the velocity and accuracy of an NFL QB. Do not sell him short. 

9 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

In six starts, Watson had 19 passing scores and 2 rushing scores, with shy of 300 rushing yards and about 1700 passing yards. Keeping on that pace, but being a bit more modest in the totals, would have yielded, over a full season, About 40 TDs, 5 rushing tds, around 640 rushing yards, and 3600 passing yards. Cam Newton won.MVP with similar numbers, and no passer in the league would have had as manny total TDs as Watson last year on that pace; and he would have led the league in total yardage out of any QB.

So...yes. He could have easily been and mvp keeping with that pace (and he showed no signs of slowing down, continually posting 3 and 4 TD games everytime we thought he would come back down to reality) had he stayed healthy.

Now, as for Jackson - have you watched actual film on the kid? Or are you just reading uneducated blogs and stuff? Watxh the film - NOT HIGHLIGHT REELS - but actual sky cam/full field footage of him play. He is far more than an athlete.

He has one of the best deep balls available this year, merging the deep field accuracy of Darnold with the vertical velocity of Mayfield. He has sound technique on routes down field and over the middle, and has played in a PRO SYSTEM with full on professional route combinations, having to make the same pro reads as seen in Andy Reid, Doug Pederson, Sean McVay and Kyle Shannahan systems, just to name a few HCs running those route trees consistently. 

Just because he is dynamic and quite able to outrun most defenses and tallied more rushing yardage than Barkley in the same time frame does not mean he is not a quality passer, too. This is not Tim Tebow or Braxton Miller or Terrelle Pryor here. This kid can pass, and he can do it well, with the velocity and accuracy of an NFL QB. Do not sell him short. 

Yes I have watched the film, and from what I've seen his lack of being able to pass to the sidelines is going to get his receivers killed. You can't be so one dimmensional in your passing in the NFL. I've also seen him airmail the ball over his receivers plenty of times. Athletes can throw the ball a long ways. Right now, he cannot pass the ball at an NFL level, and I have serious concerns that he ever will. 

8 minutes ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

Yes I have watched the film, and from what I've seen his lack of being able to pass to the sidelines is going to get his receivers killed. You can't be so one dimmensional in your passing in the NFL. I've also seen him airmail the ball over his receivers plenty of times. Athletes can throw the ball a long ways. Right now, he cannot pass the ball at an NFL level, and I have serious concerns that he ever will. 

The fact you can say you have watched the film but that he cannot throw to the sidelines is a complete oxymoron.

Jackson throws fine to the sideline. The problem is on out breaking routes such as a corner or out, in which the ball often comes out late or misguided due to his hips not being properly set. But on sideline routes, and heck even those outward breaking sideline routes, the throw is fine. He just needs to get the ball out sooner, which can be said of EVERY QB in this draft not named Sam Darnold.

How is he one dimensional in his passing? He can throw every NFL route tree, and HAS, for years in Louisville, running a completely pro style offense that is nearly identical to the system Andy Reid has been running since before the turn of the millenium with pretty damn good success.

McNabb, a possible later ballot HoF player, until the day he hung up his cleats for good, had accuracy issues on outbreaking routes. Alex Smith, a damn fine NFL starter with not nearly rhe dynamic skillset as Jackson, has trouble with those routes.

You dont need to be perfect at throwing routes you RARELY have to throw in the NFL. What you have to be perfect at doing is delivering a ball on NFL route trees in those congested areas - between the numbers and down the field - or else you will never have a decent career let alone a good one. And Jackson is perfect at that.

I think you are severely misdiagnosing what you see, or you have not watched pressbox/full field video of Jackson, or perhaps, do not completely understand the route trees and concepts you are seeing playout vs particular coverages. And thats perfectly fine, not everyone is educated by div-1 and nfl staffs to understand these things. Its why I love explaining on here.

Jackson makes the right reads on passing concepts that you need tonbe able to execute in the NFL. Where he struggles are with routes that are not often run in the NFL due to coverage. You rarely run a corner unless you are running your Y receiver into the gap between the flat and deep half vs a cover 2, and most NFL cover 2 run that corner in the medium zone or hook area, giving ground to the flat. So its not a common route. You typically, in the NFL, run a deep out when running your X or Z on a side of the field in which there are no other routes being run and the read is a clear man assignment, in which the receiver can fake the fly and break out or in to create separation. This is effectice but, again, uncommon because typically the better read on the receivers part is a comeback break because it creates bigger separation and allows for a turn and run situation as oppoaed to an out of bounds situation.

I think too many reach for knocks; in reality what Jackson doesnt excell at are not commonplace in the NFL anyway. And when needed, he should have learned enough by then to set his hips better and speed up the delivery to those routes. The vertical hook and hitch option, a staple of his offense at Louisville, is just as tough a throw to make and he consistently made it. 

2 hours ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

You and me must be watching a completely different player my friend. You're acting like LJ is some kind of guarantee and he is far from it 

None are a guarantee. Thats what makes the draft fun.

My point is more that it would be a shame for him to not be a consideration at 15 considering the skills he displays. I could underatand if he came from a div-3 system or something. But he played in a common NFL system and made all the right throws and reads. He haz the potential to be very, very special.

Archived