C.J. Smith (who?) Pushing for Starting CB Position

Phire

If you don't know C.J. Smith yet, he might be emerging as a starting CB. Apparently he has looked the part of a starting CB this training camp or at the very least, better than our other options.

C.J. Smith might end up being a starter for the Eagles at cornerback. It seems crazy to think that an undrafted guy in his second year from North Dakota State even has a chance — but he does. And unless more talent comes in soon, he has a real chance. Smith has just been better than Robinson and more consistent than Rasul Douglas. Smith has gotten a few first-team reps during practices but he probably deserves more. Smith made a great play against Mack Hollins on Monday, breaking up a pass and putting the rookie on his backside in the process.

Smith is someone to keep an eye on in the preseason games. The Eagles have used Jalen Mills and Patrick Robinson – who had a pick-six off of a Carson Wentz pass in Monday’s practice – as the starting cornerbacks to date. Nothing, though, is set in concrete.

Like I said in the training camp thread (?) I'll start believing in CJ smith once he starts performing against the 1s. He's feasted on Matt McGloin and Dane Evans but you haven't heard anything against Carson/Foles or Jeffrey/Smith.

If they really like him, they'll bump him up. Until then these are just fluff pieces on a guy who might just be a depth piece.

9 hours ago, nlesthought said:

He'll get a long look Thursday vs Brett Hundley who lit up preseason last year and going against Packer WRs who always seem to be good. 

Lol remember when people here were convinced Hundley was the next GOAT. 

9 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

Like I said in the training camp thread (?) I'll start believing in CJ smith once he starts performing against the 1s. He's feasted on Matt McGloin and Dane Evans but you haven't heard anything against Carson/Foles or Jeffrey/Smith.

If they really like him, they'll bump him up. Until then these are just fluff pieces on a guy who might just be a depth piece.

I believe he's got snaps with the 1s a few times now.

Eagles CB C.J. Smith settles in as he takes reps with first team

Carson Wentz broke the huddle and walked to the line as he scanned the field. Rookie wide receiver Mack Hollins lined up to Wentz’s right.

C.J. Smith was there waiting for him. Wentz saw that Smith was on an island, in single coverage and decided to take a shot down the field to Hollins on the post route.

At 6-foot-4, 221 pounds, Hollins has a five-inch height advantage on Smith. That didn’t stop Smith from breaking up the pass from Wentz. Smith timed his jump perfectly and knocked the ball away, attacking Hollins like a hungry cheetah in the jungle.

There has been a lot of criticism regarding the Eagles secondary. However, C.J. Smith is one of the positives to emerge from training camp this year.

He earned a spot in the rotation with the first team defense. This comes only one year after signing with the Eagles as an undrafted free agent out of North Dakota State last season.

Smith has come a long way from the days when he first got to the NovaCare complex and was frequently targeted during rookie minicamp by his former college teammate Carson Wentz. He’s gone from fringe roster player to possible starter in a hurry.

What has changed?

“I got my confidence earlier this year,” Smith explained after practice on Wednesday. “Last year during OTAs, I wasn’t really confident at all. I just said forget everything. I don’t have anything to lose, so I just grind. I know the plays, I am more comfortable. It’s easier for me to relax and just play.”

Smith said he is encouraged by the first team reps that he’s getting, but keeps it all in perspective. He plans to keep his head down and continue chopping away at a chance to be a starter.

His confidence is growing with every rep that he takes. Each time he lines up, he gets more and more comfortable. Smith believes in being patient and grinding every day as he learns from the coaches.

The way Smith attacked the ball on the pass break up against Hollins is an example of the coaching and training that has carried over to the field.

“I worked with Marcus Williams, he was one of the goats at NDSU [North Dakota State],” Smith said. “He is the all-time leader in picks in FCS history. Just watching him a lot. I trained with him at home. Our main focus was locating the ball in the air. Coach Cory [Undlin] helps a lot. I think we are doing a good job.”

Smith has been a steady defender on the outside for the Eagles. He is one of the corners they can trust.

Smith balled in preseason last year which is why he made the 53.

I'm not expecting a ton out of Smith. I mean he's an undrafted guy only in his 2nd season. I don't think it would be fair to put high expectations on him.

I'm glad it sounds like the game is slowing down for him and he's improving and working his way up the depth chart (albeit one with poor talent).

If he even just ends up being a solid young depth corner that would be a great result. 

If he ends up starting this year and doesn't flat out suck, then we won bigly.

Archived