My Final Mock before the Draft

LoganF89

Washington makes a trade with Baltimore moving down to 16 while picking up a 3rd and 5th round pick.

Baltimore jumps Green Bay and Arizona to select Calvin Ridley WR Alabama who was a target of both teams.

1)Da’Ron Payne NT Alabama

New England trades pick 31 to Washington for their 2nd round pick and a 3rd and 5th pick

1)Derrius Guice RB LSU

4)Wyatt Teller OG VT

5)Antonio Callaway WR Florida

5)Quin Blanding S UVA

6)Shaun Dion Hamilton ILB Alabama

7)Dee Delany CB Miami

7)KC Mcdermott OT Miami

I think this May be my best one, I really think that if Guice dips past the Lions that he will fall a bit, Eagles are the team I think takes him so a trade with the Pats is logical

As appears to be the case with most of the pre-draft musings on the boards, I think this would hinge on Guice. If he turns out to be a star, it’s probably a good draft. 

Personally I’d rather sit at 44 and keep the extra picks, but it would be hard to argue with leaving the first day with Payne and Guice. 

Don't like trading out picks unless its to acquire more picks. 

Vea is coming in for a visit today, so we wouldn't have to trade back at all and grab Vea, while grabbing one of the plethora of RB's in the draft in the 2nd round. 

And there is absolutely no way, NO WAY, Guice gets past the Lions at 20. Period. I would bet my 401k on that. 

I wish i could like Mike23Md and oldman9er’s comments twice because I would.

I don’t think Guice gets past Detroit and he may not get past Seattle at the pick before Detroit. I’m not sure why, but some seem to think he’s just going to be there where they want him to be and I just don’t see both Seattle and Detroit passing on him.

I love it because they are 2 players that make this team what I think most here want and that’s physical and tougher. I think people forget just how good Guice was with absolutely nothing else offensively. He has juice!!! Payne I think we all know my stance. I’ve said for weeks my ideal takeaway is to somehow get Guice and Payne.id  be going crazy lol

Vita, Payne, Guice, Price, Hernandez are the top players that I like projected day 1 and early 2, Payne and Guice would arguably fix our two biggest needs outside of LG, If it can happen and we dont give up too much im all for it! If we can get both and maybe a G in the 4th or 5th then Im happy

I don’t think it’s crazy to think Guice will slide past the picks you guys are so certain he won’t get past. 

I’ve mentioned this before, but how many RBs have come off the board in the back half of the 1st round (picks 17-32) in the past 5 drafts?

Zero. Not a single back taken with any of those 80 picks. As I’ve said, teams have clearly been buying into the “get the best or wait for the rest” approach to drafting RBs. Maybe Guice is the guy who breaks that trend, but ask Dalvin Cook or Derrick Henry if they can imagine a world in which Guice makes it past Seattle or Detroit or even Philly at 32. 

37 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I don’t think it’s crazy to think Guice will slide past the picks you guys are so certain he won’t get past. 

I’ve mentioned this before, but how many RBs have come off the board in the back half of the 1st round (picks 17-32) in the past 5 drafts?

Zero. Not a single back taken with any of those 80 picks. As I’ve said, teams have clearly been buying into the “get the best or wait for the rest” approach to drafting RBs. Maybe Guice is the guy who breaks that trend, but ask Dalvin Cook or Derrick Henry if they can imagine a world in which Guice makes it past Seattle or Detroit or even Philly at 32. 

That's very interesting.  I was curious when the first RB came off the board in the 2nd round for the last 5 draft, here's the result:

2017 - #41 Dalvin Cook

2016 - #45 Derrick Henry

2015 - #36 TJ Yeldon

2014 - #54 Bishop Sankey

2013 - #37 Giovanni Bernard

Now 2017 & 2015 both had two RBs go in the top 15 picks, so Cook and Yeldon were the 3rd RBs selected that year.  In 2014 & 2013, Sankey & Bernard were actually the first RBs taken in the draft.  

So I think your point stands, if Guice is viewed as an elite talent, I think he has a chance to go top 15 in the draft, but unlikely selected later in the first round.  However, its debatable whether he would fall to 44 in the 2nd for us to select him.  A small trade up higher in the 2nd may be necessary if we really want him that bad.

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

I don't think anyone's calling you or it crazy, e. 

With the draft, surprises are inevitable every year. Just saying... Guice falling to the 2nd, much less late 1st, would indeed be one of those surprises for me. 

I know many will disagree with me but I don't think we're talking Payne at 13. I think it comes down to 3 players for us Fitzpatrick, Vita, or Derrius Guice. An outside chance of Derwin James.

I think Denzel Ward would be nice but the top corner in any draft usually never makes it to 13 so I think he's gone before we pick.

Don't be surprised if Payne is an early round 2 pick. 

The nose tackle position is usually not a high draft pick for any team. Vita Vea is the exception this year because of the ability to rush the passer. I also think he's gone to either Oakland or Miami before we pick.

This year in free agency is the blueprint for nose tackle value in the league. Logan, Williams were both signed late and arguably a top 3 nose is still available in Hankins because he sees his value for more than teams value the position. I'm not saying I agree with this assessment from the NFL.

The nose tackle position is kind of like guard on offense. Unless a rare talent is available, most teams know they can get good value there later and for cheap.

Would anyone really be upset if we got BJ Hill, Harrison Phillips, or Tim Settle later in the draft? There's also the dude from Florida State, Miami, and Fort Hayes. Can't remember their names at the moment but their floor is probably 2 down run stuffer and at the end of the day, that's what we need.

I don’t buy the notion that Payne is only a 2 down player. I watched a bunch of Alabama games last season and he caused a good deal of havoc on 3rd down. 

Also when your rush defense is 32nd in the league the interior has to be a priority. It’s a passing league these days but you still have to be able to stop the run or you have no chance. 

I’d take the Payne/Guice scenario anyway we could get it. If that means bringing Luvuao back and grabbing a corner late that’s fine. Can’t fill all the holes in 2 picks

Archived