DT's that get after the QB (Previously Hogg Mollies Debate)

Bernie's Curls

Favorite Fatty  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Based on estimated Pick Value versus Prospect Value, who's your guy?

• Maurice Hurst
    • Taven Bryan
    • Nathan Shepherd
    • Tim Settle

I am beginning to become deeply intrigued by four DT prospects in this draft (Round Taken Estimate from NFLDraftScout):

1) Maurice Hurst/Michigan - 6'1" 292lbs - End of 1st-Early 2nd Rounder

2) Taven Bryan/Florida - 6'5" 291lbs - End of 1st-Eary 2nd Rounder

3) Nathan Shepherd/Fort Hays State - 6'4" 315lbs - Mid to Late 2nd Rounder

4) Tim Settle/Virginia Tech - 6'3" 329lbs - Late 3rd-Early 4th Rounder

I think each of these big beasties brings their own unique skillset and physical abilities that can contribute differently. Maurice Hurst put on a lot on tape as a consistent disruptor of the interior his senior season, but had that medical scare at the Combine and only one year of true starting experience. Taven Bryan has the measureables that scouts drool over and flashed plenty of times this season, but is the hype valid? Many times I didn't see a plan from snap to snap and won mostly with athleticism. Nathan Shepherd was a man amongst boys at Fort Hayes State, worked through and persevered over incredible odds in his career, and surprise-dominated the early Senior Bowl practices until he had to withdraw with a broken hand, but was that enough to dispel inferior competition chatter and being a 25-year old rookie? After watching his hand usage progress rapidly from 2016 to 2017, absolutely. And finally, a completely different body type than the others, Tim Settle may be a NT freak, penetrating gaps with much more velocity and consistency than the vast majority of men his size. He should have stayed another year, polished his game and come out a sure-fire First Rounder next year, but I would be more than willing to gamble on the Redshirt Sophomore for the proposed asking price.

I would very much like to end up with one of these guys in this draft to go with our 2nd Year Hopefuls - Ogunjobi and Coley. And yes, I know Brantley isn't out of the picture either. I think each of these big beasties brings their own unique skillset and physical abilities that can contribute differently. Who would be your pick? Based on the estimated pick to use versus value?

19 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

Give me BJ Hill or Harrison Phillip. For E Paul lol but seriously I’d prob go shepherd I’m not incredibly high on any because of other needs 

My hope is we land Maurice Hurst with one of our early 2nd rounds picks and PJ Hall later on. I think both of those guys could be steals. I like Hill and Settle. This is a pretty solid DT draft.

I debated about including BJ Hill, even did a write-up. But re-watching film, there wasn't one area than I though he was special at. He's okay at most things though, very solid prospect, just like Harrison Phillip. But ultimately I didn't believe they were DT's that could routinely get after the QB, which I believe is what the Browns are looking for this year.

Really like Hurst but the heart thing scares me.

really like Bryan. He will probably go in the 20s. I had us taking him at 33 but I just don't think he'll make it. He's so raw and his potential hasn't even been touched yet. 

Shepherd reminds me of Ogunjobi but bigger. I'd be ok with him at 64

Hurst is easily the #1 of this category. Unless teams view his heart issue as a serious concern, he's going round one. Talent wise, he is as good as they come, and he's slowly been climbing up the mock drafts since he was cleared. 

Putting on my bias shades for a sec here, I really like Tyquan Lewis. He could be a late day 2 or even day 3 pick who would provide some great depth and he's only gonna get better.

A lot of developmental mid round types with high upside in this draft as well. We have  brought in at least 2 for visits in P.J. Hall of Sam Houston State and Jullian Taylor of Temple. Others that could be have an impact as a knifing 3 tech are James Looney of California, R.J. McIntosh of Miami(Fla). I have also considered the thought if Kentravius Street or Jalyn Holmes would be able to make a permanent transition inside. 

Bryan absolutely explodes off the snap with a ton of agility and power but he has bad technique and ends up on the ground more than just about any DT prospect I can remember watching. Hes intriguing but theres real concern.

Payne from bama is the total package and an underrated pass rusher. 

Hurst has a lot to love as well. 

I want one of these three at 33 or late 1. 

33 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

If I had my choice between Hurst in the 1st and PJ Hall in the 3rd (I know we don't have a 3rd) there's no question im taking Hall. As a matter of fact, I'd be cool with taking him with #64, he's that good IMO.

Got some Larry O to his play. Big fan of Hall.

1 hour ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Got some Larry O to his play. Big fan of Hall.

Explosive as hell, pretty good with his hands, and hustles like no one's business. You're right, that basically describes Ogunjobi, I just think Hall is slightly more explosive out of his stance and is slightly better as a natural pass rusher. 

Also for those who haven't seen 4.76 40, 36 reps of 225, 38 inch vert (308lbs)and 9.8 broad jump and a 700lb squat, also there were scouts that timed him as low as 4.69, all of these things show up in film. FREAK

1 hour ago, Bernie's Curls said:

Haven't been able to find much video on PJ Hall,  and what I've seen hasn't colored me a believer I instant-impact pass rusher. Enlighten me, please.

Yeah I have actually watched 3 or 4 Sam Houston State games over the last 2 years and I've never really noticed him jumping off the screen. I am not saying the talent isn't there but I usually see DLineman jump out when they are playing at the lower levels if they are truely NFL level talents. I was also not watch anyone in particular. He very well could have made some plays that I simply missed because I was not scouting anyone. I honestly know nothing about him outside of his insane athletic numbers. I simply do not have time to watch very many late round prospects like I use to do.

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Explosive as hell, pretty good with his hands, and hustles like no one's business. You're right, that basically describes Ogunjobi, I just think Hall is slightly more explosive out of his stance and is slightly better as a natural pass rusher. 

Also for those who haven't seen 4.76 40, 36 reps of 225, 38 inch vert (308lbs)and 9.8 broad jump and a 700lb squat, also there were scouts that timed him as low as 4.69, all of these things show up in film. FREAK

I’m gonna go ahead and plug my man here, but MSU is one dude on this site I trust almost blindly when it comes to DL.  Dude has an eye for ‘em.

Just an FYI for the newer fellas.

Archived