RUMOR: DARNOLD FOLLOWED STANTON ON INSTA

mistakey

I'm not sure I can look at the tape and say it caused one here, but if you are bringing the ball low before you bring it up to pull it back, the longer motion gives more ability to strip the ball.

Again I love Darnold and want to draft him #1.  I think for the long motion he gets the ball out incredibly quick, which is impressive.  But I would sleep better if he shortened that as the chance of fumbling it would be (even if slightly) less.

Not arguing what has happened, or what will happen, mostly just arguing physics :-P.

11 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

The biggest attributes to have for NFL quarterbacks is accuracy and staying poised. 3 of the top 4 prospects have had good accuracy (Allen completed 54% of his HS passes and 56% of college passes, Mayfield was like 64 and 67 and Darnold 67 and 65). Who will stay poised in the NFL, I dunno that is the gamble.

As far as poise, that seems to be one ting people always mention about Darnold.  He seems like an ice cold kinda guy on the field.  Down 6, two minutes left, ball on your own 20 and his pulse is 60 and he’s yawning. Seems calm but confident.  

At least from my perspective sitting in front of a TV or iPad.

Baker has a more vocal and spirited personality, but it doesn’t seem to hinder him.  His emotions don’t seem to get the better of him in a way that hurts the team.  At least not yet.  

13 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

When has his “loopy” arm action caused a fumble?  Him scrambling in the pocket trying to make something out of nothing with one hand on the ball certainly has. And his running back not holding onto the ball which is actually counted as a fumble. I’ve never seen one of his fumbles being directly responsible because of his release. 

It does cause more fumbles while throwing because you have more area to get swiped. Wouldn't stop me from drafting a good prospect though.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

As far as poise, that seems to be one ting people always mention about Darnold.  He seems like an ice cold kinda guy on the field.  Down 6, two minutes left, ball on your own 20 and his pulse is 60 and he’s yawning. Seems calm but confident.  

At least from my perspective sitting in front of a TV or iPad.

Baker has a more vocal and spirited personality, but it doesn’t seem to hinder him.  His emotions don’t seem to get the better of him in a way that hurts the team.  At least not yet.  

Yeah Darnold has good poise. He will have to throw the ball away more in the NFL than throw to covered guys but it's a learning process. He got away with a lot of them in college because DBs weren't very good.

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The dude holds some serious grudges. In a game where most find success with a short term memory-type of mentality, Baker has let his bottled up frustrations come back to haunt him a number of times. The gesture towards Kansas, the flag at OSU, throwing a football at a TCU player. People overlook these because they're on a football field and it's not the same kind of issues that Johnny had. But he has really crossed some lines, and continues to do so. He wasn't really disciplined at OU, his coaches let him get away with these things with a slap on the wrist. I just cannot trust that he's suddenly gonna hold all these things back without any sort of consequence, solely because he's in the big leagues. That's not how habits are broken. See: Josh Gordon. You think because he suddenly got millions of dollars, he could just quit his addictive habit like that? Hell nah dude. Baker is no different, his personality is embedded inside of him.

6 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

It does cause more fumbles while throwing because you have more area to get swiped. Wouldn't stop me from drafting a good prospect though.

That’s kind of what I said, I don’t remember any fumbles because of it. Those all came from him fidgeting within the pocket. I don’t like the motion, I wish it wasn’t there. But I haven’t seen it be any kind of issue. He gets the ball out really quickly. I’m assuming GMs don’t have an issue with it because it looks like nobody has asked him to work on it. Lets be real it’s not like his motion is Tebow-like, now that motion caused problems. 

1 hour ago, pscottdai said:

LOL, and yet you are predicting the future as well with your call of Mayfield failing...see how that works, you are just as convinced he will fail as Dizzy is that he will succeed. 

Key word in that post was "I think" where as DizzyDean knows Darnold will not be any good and I think Mayfield's ability will not translate to the NFL. See pretty big difference actually 

10 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

I'm not sure I can look at the tape and say it caused one here, but if you are bringing the ball low before you bring it up to pull it back, the longer motion gives more ability to strip the ball.

Again I love Darnold and want to draft him #1.  I think for the long motion he gets the ball out incredibly quick, which is impressive.  But I would sleep better if he shortened that as the chance of fumbling it would be (even if slightly) less.

Not arguing what has happened, or what will happen, mostly just arguing physics :-P.

Let me fill you in, it hasn’t caused any fumbles. I do agree with you I wish it wasn’t there either but it’s mostly aesthetic rather than a hindrance. 

1 minute ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

The dude holds some serious grudges.

So did Michael Jordan.  A lot of successful people have petty motivators.

In a game where most find success with a short term memory-type of mentality, Baker has let his bottled up frustrations come back to haunt him a number of times. The gesture towards Kansas

In a game he won

the flag at OSU,

After a win

throwing a football at a TCU player.

Another win.

People overlook these because they're on a football field and it's not the same kind of issues that Johnny had. But he has really crossed some lines, and continues to do so. He wasn't really disciplined at OU, his coaches let him get away with these things with a slap on the wrist.

Becasue he didn’t do much.  Is it petty or immature? Sure.  Wtf should they do, suspend him for grabbing his nuts?  Are we that easily offended nowadays?

I just cannot trust that he's suddenly gonna hold all these things back without any sort of consequence, solely because he's in the big leagues.

Idgaf if he does or doesn’t if he keeps playing well.

That's not how habits are broken. See: Josh Gordon. You think because he suddenly got millions of dollars, he could just quit his addictive habit like that? Hell nah dude. Baker is no different, his personality is embedded inside of him.

Awful comparison for a number of reasons, and I’m sure you know it.

1 hour ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Agreed. I honestly think that the limited examples we have of Baker throwing under something resembling nfl pressure does not show so well on him. 

His passes are later and a bit more behind the target than normally, his footwork and pocket movement decisions are uneven and his lack of height also shows up when he gets enveloped in the pocket.

Admittedly it's not a great amount of plays of this nature to study because he very rarely encounters anything resembling nfl pressure, but that's what I've seen at least.

I do think the Baker Mayfield we see is somewhat of an nfl mirage. I don't think it translates. I respect those who like him and his projection though. I'm not trying to cause an argument.

This!!!!

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

So did Michael Jordan.  A lot of successful people have petty motivators.

In a game he won

After a win

Another win.

Becasue he didn’t do much.  Is it petty or immature? Sure.  Wtf should they do, suspend him for grabbing his nuts?  Are we that easily offended nowadays?

Idgaf if he does or doesn’t if he keeps playing well.

Awful comparison for a number of reasons, and I’m sure you know it.

My point is, these are things that won't be as easy for him to get away with in the NFL. You look at the competition he did these things against, and he was able to absolutely bully them in the process. In the NFL, that will not be the case. I'm not saying it's going to ruin his career, but to pick him at #1 with all of this in mind has to be a legitimate concern.

EDIT: I thought of that comparison on the fly, but I didn't think it was all that far off. As someone who struggled with addiction, I can see the parallels. 

19 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Let me fill you in, it hasn’t caused any fumbles. I do agree with you I wish it wasn’t there either but it’s mostly aesthetic rather than a hindrance. 

Understandable.  Again, not stopping me from taking him.

I see the issues he has as easily correctable (such as the carrying the ball around low with one hand).

I'm going to be on my roller coaster of emotions until we hopefully take him though....

8 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

My point is, these are things that won't be as easy for him to get away with in the NFL. You look at the competition he did these things against, and he was able to absolutely bully them in the process. In the NFL, that will not be the case. I'm not saying it's going to ruin his career, but to pick him at #1 with all of this in mind has to be a legitimate concern.

Being a dck is going to hurt his career?  I feel like there are plenty of examples of that being entirely wrong.

8 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

EDIT: I thought of that comparison on the fly, but I didn't think it was all that far off. As someone who struggled with addiction, I can see the parallels. 

What are the parallels then?

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Being a dck is going to hurt his career?  I feel like there are plenty of examples of that being entirely wrong.

What are the parallels then?

No, being an A-hole wont hurt his career. But being an A-hole and crossing the line in the process certainly can. If he did the things he got away with in college, before/during/after an NFL game, can you honestly tell me he'd get away with it without ANY consequences as he did at Oklahoma? That's BS. A flag, a fine, a hatred from opposing players or coaches...one way or another, that has a negative effect.

And the parallels with  breaking a nasty habit like either of these are that it doesn't just happen when you suddenly make millions of dollars not to do it. It takes far more than that, because these are habits that formed and can't just disappear with the wave of a magic wand. Oftentimes, as it did for Josh, it takes major consequence and having your career jeopardized before even considering a true change of one's lifestyle. 

7 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah I'm not buying all of that unless you are just projecting he will be better at it at the next level. Instinctual awareness? I think that is an oxymoron.

Do you think about breathing? Are you aware that you're breathing well right now?

Thought and the action that flows from it has both unconscious and conscious elements... translating that to the football field... some actions/movements/behaviors are instinctual/unconscious/natural ... The point that I was making was precise and real... that is to say that Sam Darnold's awareness and how he sees and feels the game is instinctual...happens naturally... scouts used that such indicators to evaluate film...

Every trait that I pinpointed in that last post aren't projections but things displayed consistently in multiple games across two seasons.. anticipation is a trait of Quarterbacking that is not a projection, but what is manifestly clear and superior on the film... big game poise, 4th quarter poise, off platform...etc... none of those are projections...

Archived