Give Alex Smith More Help - Final MOCK draft + depth chart

taylor made

The Skins have gone "All in" with Alex Smith and I think this draft will have to support Alex if he is successful.  If Alex Smith fails, then the team fails and we won't be competing for the next 2-3 years. I'm sure Bruce Allen will be pushing for that as well, & don't be surprised if we go offense - offense with our first two picks.  As I said in my previous mock draft, the Redskins' offense doesn't scare anyone, even with the addition of Paul Richardson. The team has holes all over the roster and we aren't gonna be able to fill them all this off-season so defense gets the shaft here. In the very  least, this mock draft will show some players that aren't regularly mocked to the team.

DRAFT
round one. Pick #13 - Isaiah Wynn - Senior, Georgia left guard, 6'3" 313 lbs

No one is really talking about the huge hole on the offensive line at left guard. Our offensive line was a mess last year and the team has needed an upgrade from Shawn Lauvao for years. Wynn would be a plug and play starter from day one. Lining him next to Trent Williams would be putting him in a great spot to succeed.  Instantly the Redskins would have one of the best offensive lines in the league and it would only ease Alex Smith's transition. I know this won't be a popular pick and it will be called a reach but Wynn could easily be drafted at #18 by the Seahawks or at #16 by the Ravens. Wynn is Pro football focus' #17 ranked prospect.

Isaiah-Wynn.jpg

round two. Pick #44 - Dallas Goedert - Senior, Tight end, South Dakota St., 6'5" 256

Jordan Reed simply can't be relied on anymore. Vernon Davis had a nice career  with Alex Smith  but he is 34 years old and could be out of the league
in a moment. Both Reed and Davis are jokes in the run game. They put up some nice stats - but are they really scaring opposing defenses? Dallas Goedert has the potential
to be a Travis Kelce clone and Alex Smith would be the one to bring it out in him.

Dallas-Goedert.jpg

round four. Pick #109 - John Kelly - junior, Running Back, Tennessee, 5'10" 216 lbs

A lot of people want to draft Derrius Guice but I think a running back
by committee makes the most sense instead of drafting a running back early on.
You don't want to take carries away from Chris Thompson and I don't
think you can give up on Samaje Perine or even fat Rob Kelly just yet.
John Kelly has some character issues (weed arrest) but I think he would be a
good fit and perhaps Alex Smith's next Kareem Hunt!

635783010430045520-UT-vs-W-Carolina-20.j

round five. Pick # 142 - Folorunso Fatukasi - Senior, Nose Tackle, Uconn, 6'4", 318 lbs

Great name for a Nose tackle. obviously we have a hole at nose tackle and
its not great that it was addressed this late in the draft; however, I think
Fatukasi could develop into that 2 down run stuffer that this team needs.

fatukasi.jpg?w=680&h=420&crop=1

round five. Pick #163 - Olasunkanmi Adeniyi , junior, edge, Toledo 6'2", 248 lbs
just a raw edge prospect that could take over the loss of Junior Galette

618708864.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=3&d=77BFB

round six and seven - i'll be passing on doing these.

depth chart

lt: trent williams / ty nsekhe
lg:  isaiah wynn /arie kouandijio
c: chase roulier / tony bergstrom
rg: brandon scherff / tyler catalina
rt: morgan moses / ty nsekhe

te: jordan reed/ dallas goedert/ vernon davis / jeremy sprinkle
wr: paul richardson / brian quick / robert davis
wr: josh doctson / maurice harris
slot wr: jamison crowder

rb: samaje perine / john kelly / chris thompson / rob kelley
qb: alex smith / colt mccoy / kevin hogan

defense:

DE: Jonathan allen / terell mcclain
nt: ziggy hood / folorunso fatukasi
de: matt ioannidis / anthony lanier ii / stacy mcgee

slb: preston smith / ryan anderson
mlb: zach brown/ zach vigil
mlb: mason foster / martrell spaight / josh harvey-clemons
wlb: ryan kerrigan / pernell mcphee / Olasunkanmi Adeniyi

cb: josh norman / joshua holsey
CB:  fabian moreau / quinton dunbar
slot cb: orlando scandrick

fs: montae nicholson / fish smithson
ss: D.J. Swearinger /  deshazor everett

You added talent in both trenches.. added a wicked weapon to the pass attack.. and added talent to the RB corps.

This mock is not the way I'd go about things. I don't love it, and had not considered it could go down this way. It also wouldn't anger or upset.   :) 

i wouldnt hate it but i dont love it. we could trade back and get wynn or hernandez, also TE isnt a pressing need to me right now, i love the player but its just not big enough of a need to take at that spot, i know nothing about the last 3 picks

I actually don't have a problem with this draft, though I would be curious what else was available in the 4th. If your version of the Redskins is going to go RBBC, I think taking another RB in the 4th would be a bit wasteful. What do see as alternatives there?

Why would we over draft an OG by 10 to 20 picks?

No thanks

I don’t think we take an TE in round 2. They’re going to see what they have extensively in Sprinkle this offseason/season. If he doesn’t show more, they’ll draft a TE next draft.

I hate RB by committee, we've tried that ever since we drafted Matt Jones in 2015 and it hasn’t worked. We need THAT DUDE! We need to quit skating around the main issue on our offense every offseason/especially draft and draft a RB high. We’ve passed on several RBs who really were better than the ones we drafted in 2015 & 2017 or other players we drafted in round 2 and 3 instead of them in the last 3 drafts.

This needs to stop. Draft a top RB prospect who’s a good prospect in round 1 or 2 and they’ll make our offense better just like Hunt and Kamara - two guys we passed on last year - did for the Chiefs and Saints.

12 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I hate RB by committee, we've tried that ever since we drafted Matt Jones in 2015 and it hasn’t worked.

Woah woah woah.

How the heck do you complain about doing something for three seasons being a failure but then get upset when I say the 3-4 hasn't worked for a decade, and that the Redskins need to keep at it?

12 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Draft a top RB prospect who’s a good prospect in round 1 or 2 and they’ll make our offense better just like Hunt and Kamara - two guys we passed on last year - did for the Chiefs and Saints.

1. Hunt was a third round pick.
  2. Had they made the right decision and taken Zac Cunningham, we wouldn't be complaining about Kamara.

20 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Why would we over draft an OG by 10 to 20 picks?

No thanks

I don’t think we take an TE in round 2. They’re going to see what they have extensively in Sprinkle this offseason/season. If he doesn’t show more, they’ll draft a TE next draft.

I hate RB by committee, we've tried that ever since we drafted Matt Jones in 2015 and it hasn’t worked. We need THAT DUDE! We need to quit skating around the main issue on our offense every offseason/especially draft and draft a RB high. We’ve passed on several RBs who really were better than the ones we drafted in 2015 & 2017 or other players we drafted in round 2 and 3 instead of them in the last 3 drafts.

This needs to stop. Draft a top RB prospect who’s a good prospect in round 1 or 2 and they’ll make our offense better just like Hunt and Kamara - two guys we passed on last year - did for the Chiefs and Saints.

I hate to break it to you but ANY running back we draft this year won't be THAT dude. Its just not the way the team is built, we have Chris Thompson & we just drafted Perine. Those guys aren't just gonna go away. Look at the Eagles. Look at the Patriots. They all run RBBC and are very successful.

22 hours ago, taylor made said:

I hate to break it to you but ANY running back we draft this year won't be THAT dude. Its just not the way the team is built, we have Chris Thompson & we just drafted Perine. Those guys aren't just gonna go away. Look at the Eagles. Look at the Patriots. They all run RBBC and are very successful.

Not sure this can really be said with such certainty... not exactly, anyway. 

If any RB on the roster is killing it in practice each week.. and is clearly more effective than the rest.. a coaching staff would have to be potato to not give him the majority reps. CT and Perine are of course going to spell THAT DUDE on occasion.. maybe that's what was meant.

.. and I don't think "THAT DUDE" has to be a 1st or even 2nd round draft pick though. Chances may be higher, but it's not a must. If Washington can hit a home-run (or even a double) on a LG and the 5 stay relatively healthy, this OL (and QB, frankly) should make any good RB look like a star. 

On 4/19/2018 at 6:48 PM, taylor made said:

I’m saying we need to draft a definite starter. Yes, Thompson will continue to be our 3rd down back, main receiver out of the backfield and changevof pace but we don’t have a definite #1 and haven’t since 2014 when Morris was. We need a definite #1 RB who can dominate.

On 4/20/2018 at 5:23 PM, oldman9er said:

Not sure this can really be said with such certainty... not exactly, anyway. 

If any RB on the roster is killing it in practice each week.. and is clearly more effective than the rest.. a coaching staff would have to be potato to not give him the majority reps. CT and Perine are of course going to spell THAT DUDE on occasion.. maybe that's what was meant.

.. and I don't think "THAT DUDE" has to be a 1st or even 2nd round draft pick though. Chances may be higher, but it's not a must. If Washington can hit a home-run (or even a double) on a LG and the 5 stay relatively healthy, this OL (and QB, frankly) should make any good RB look like a star. 

Of course the Redskins could find a starting RB in any round but it hasn’t worked for them in with multiple mid to late round picks and multiple udfas since Morris. 

Theres a much higher likelihood of finding a good or great starter in round 1 by taking Guice or by taking a different RB in round 2 who’s a better prospect than the RBs who are going to fall to the mid to late rounds. We’ve been down that road and it hasn’t worked for us. I understand it’s worked for other teams, but not for us so we should try to take one higher since the other way hasn’t worked.

Probably the best mock Ive seen so far for the team.

Via will be gone by our pick. Regardless. Without Allen we were dead last in the run game last year, with we were 8th. The best thing we can do to help our own run game is to get an amazing guard to help. No running back is going to help unless the line is addressed. And drafting the trenches is never a reach or waste of a pick unless they bust.

Archived