Who is the (second) best coach in the NFL?

DingoLadd

Besides Bill Bellicheck because he is obviously the best but that's the boring answer. Whose the second best?

You can make the case for several coaches (Pederson, Zimmer, Lewis, Reid, Tomlin etc.)

Personally I'd say it's a tossup between four coaches Pederson, Zimmer, Carroll and Hue Jackson if only because no one else in the NFL has gone 0-16 and that is truly a remarkable feat that should be celebrated.  With Zimmer being the person I'd say deserves the honor since Perderson has only two coaching seasons under his belt so far. 

I'd like to say it's' coach of the year Sean McVay, but clearly it's all Jared Goff carrying that Rams team with his sheer elite awesomeness and as such McVay is just along for the ride, so I'll go with Doug Pederson instead.  :D

9 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

With Zimmer being the person I'd say deserves the honor since Perderson has only two coaching seasons under his belt so far. 

More seasons of choking, or fewer seasons with more Super Bowl victories? 

In all seriousness though, I'm not sure how you can say Zimmer over Pederson at this point in time given the shalacking the Eagles gave the Vikings in the NFC championship game with their backup QB among various other injuries they sustained this season.

I know Pederson needs to prove more, but the dude displayed massive balls during that Super Bowl.  He was taking so many chances and I don't think another coach in the league would do the stuff he did on the biggest stage.  In that Super Bowl both teams played very well (at least offensively ha), but Pederson was the one person that really stood out for me as the real star of that game.

I love that man and he showed me a hell of a lot all season, but that Super Bowl was marvelously done by him.  That might have been the best coaching job I've ever seen.  Pederson was that great.  He gave no F's with a back-up QB.  I'll roll that red carpet out for that man any day and time.

2 hours ago, showtime said:

I know Pederson needs to prove more, but the dude displayed massive balls during that Super Bowl.  He was taking so many chances and I don't think another coach in the league would do the stuff he did on the biggest stage.  In that Super Bowl both teams played very well (at least offensively ha), but Pederson was the one person that really stood out for me as the real star of that game.

I love that man and he showed me a hell of a lot all season, but that Super Bowl was marvelously done by him.  That might have been the best coaching job I've ever seen.  Pederson was that great.  He gave no F's with a back-up QB.  I'll roll that red carpet out for that man any day and time.

*gives standing ovation*

Thank you.

Nice to see someone else besides Philly people say this. It doesnt get talked about enough because people are so infatuated with McVay and the whole Brady/BB thing, but Doug Pederson literally just had one of the single greatest coaching performances for an entire season of all time IMO. Offensively, the best Ive seen in my life as a 26 year old easily at least. 

I think its because he just doesnt have enough "media appeal" compared to these other guys. 

7 hours ago, Crickett said:

I'd like to say it's' coach of the year Sean McVay, but clearly it's all Jared Goff carrying that Rams team with his sheer elite awesomeness and as such McVay is just along for the ride, so I'll go with Doug Pederson instead.  :D

The funny part is I keep hearing Rams fans cry about how Eagles fans are constantly hating on their team or making it about themselves etc.

But really, the trolling I see comes from posts like this mocking the Eagles.

I guess I understand the bitterness. I mean our teams both traded up for a QB in the same year to take 1st and 2nd overall, and our teams are similar in some other ways. 

Only we just won the Super Bowl and the Rams looked like the worst team in the NFC playoffs.

-_-

17 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

*gives standing ovation*

Thank you.

Nice to see someone else besides Philly people say this. It doesnt get talked about enough because people are so infatuated with McVay and the whole Brady/BB thing, but Doug Pederson literally just had one of the single greatest coaching performances for an entire season of all time IMO. Offensively, the best Ive seen in my life as a 26 year old easily at least. 

I think its because he just doesnt have enough "media appeal" compared to these other guys. 

I was saying that during and after the game as well.  It's mind blowing to me and I was speechless.  Honestly, I think the Patriots win that Super Bowl if any other coach in the league is coaching the Eagles that game.  Most people talk about going for the touchdown on that trick play, and for good reason; however, the call he made in the fourth quarter to go for it at the Eagles 45 yard line on fourth down - Foles throws a pass to Ertz for the first was marvelous.  Especially the way the Patriots offense was playing - if you turn the ball over on downs there, you essentially guarantee the Pats at least get a FG out of that possession or probably a TD.  There are other calls he made, substitutions, etc. 

The guy was absolutely brilliant all season and he shined his brightest on the biggest stage in professional sports.  That man should have a statue outside of Lincoln Financial Field. 

@BAConrad You left out the part where the Rams were the 2nd youngest team in the NFL last year with the 2nd youngest QB starter going against a Falcons team who had tons of experience and was just in the Superbowl the previous season. 

I’ll be interested to see how Wentz will look when he makes his first playoff start. But regardless at least the Eagles had Foles who already had a playoff start under his belt in 2013 when the Saints came into Philly and won. We can never underestimate playoff experience. 

52 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

@BAConrad You left out the part where the Rams were the 2nd youngest team in the NFL last year with the 2nd youngest QB starter going against a Falcons team who had tons of experience and was just in the Superbowl the previous season. 

I’ll be interested to see how Wentz will look when he makes his first playoff start. But regardless at least the Eagles had Foles who already had a playoff start under his belt in 2013 when the Saints came into Philly and won. We can never underestimate playoff experience. 

No doubt that in a year from now, we could be sitting here discussing the Eagles and Rams as the two SB winning teams of the previous two years. I think you guys have the potential to absolutely win it. My feeling is that whoever can manage to win the ridiculously tough NFC should handily beat whomever they face in the Superb Owl. 

But the thing that annoys me is that right now, all it is for LA is that: potential. But people are already crowning McVay as the best offensive mind in the game and even some saying hes the 2nd best behind BB....but the thing is, he hasn't shown that he deserves to be crowned anything like that yet. Dont get me wrong, he did an incredible job last season.

But people also like to act like the feat of improving the offense as much as he did from 1 year to the next was way more impressive than in reality. The Rams should have been significantly better before he was there but Jeff Fisher is so bad..and even so, they managed to win 7 games with him. Its not like McVay came in and just took some dirtpile team from worst to best. And I also want to see him face some adversity this season because we have no idea how he responds to it yet. IIRC the Rams offense, minus missing Robert Woods for some time, was one of the healthiest in the league (and the team in general). 

Im not denying that based off of what we saw, McVay can be one of the best one day. He just isn't yet. His season was not as impressive as Pederson's was and that is just as close to fact as it comes. Which is my main point....that McVay cant be called one of the best coaches yet until he proves himself. One year and 0-1 home playoff record wont cut it. 

Great head coaches are the ones who dont let adversity affect them. They win no matter the circumstances. Its what separates guys like that moron Jason Garrett aka the Clapper from ones like Payton or Carroll or BB or Pederson.

1 hour ago, stl4life07 said:

9 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

No doubt that in a year from now, we could be sitting here discussing the Eagles and Rams as the two SB winning teams of the previous two years. I think you guys have the potential to absolutely win it. My feeling is that whoever can manage to win the ridiculously tough NFC should handily beat whomever they face in the Superb Owl. 

But the thing that annoys me is that right now, all it is for LA is that: potential. But people are already crowning McVay as the best offensive mind in the game and even some saying hes the 2nd best behind BB....but the thing is, he hasn't shown that he deserves to be crowned anything like that yet. Dont get me wrong, he did an incredible job last season.

But people also like to act like the feat of improving the offense as much as he did from 1 year to the next was way more impressive than in reality. The Rams should have been significantly better before he was there but Jeff Fisher is so bad..and even so, they managed to win 7 games with him. Its not like McVay came in and just took some dirtpile team from worst to best. And I also want to see him face some adversity this season because we have no idea how he responds to it yet. IIRC the Rams offense, minus missing Robert Woods for some time, was one of the healthiest in the league (and the team in general). 

Im not denying that based off of what we saw, McVay can be one of the best one day. He just isn't yet. His season was not as impressive as Pederson's was and that is just as close to fact as it comes. Which is my main point....that McVay cant be called one of the best coaches yet until he proves himself. One year and 0-1 home playoff record wont cut it. 

Great head coaches are the ones who dont let adversity affect them. They win no matter the circumstances. Its what separates guys like that moron Jason Garrett aka the Clapper from ones like Payton or Carroll or BB or Pederson.

Except Pederson doesn't even have enough respect from his own fans to be called a genius. What he did with Foles was good. But it was only "good" according to some.

Archived