Forum by forum Mock Draft - Pick 29

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

Miller would fit the height thing...but yeah, he's not that good.  Almost one of those guys with too much length.  Doesn't always use it, and gets into real trouble with guys getting underneath him and moving him back, or skittering around him.

I still don't really see the case for a TE in round 1.  There are too many guys i like as ~Top-100 talents, and no one guy that stands head and shoulders above as a bluechip 1st rounder to me.  I wouldn't be upset with Goedert i guess, but not overly excited either.

Williams isnt that good either.   best Bet would be probably picking Wynn or a WR or TE.  WR wise i wanna go with Sutton. 

Just now, LinderFournette said:

yes Marrone was here when this Franchise signed Beachum. im sure he had some thoughts there on him 

Signing an FA OL in the years where we were void of talent with limited options and where we are now is vastly different. Also, just beause he may have had a say doesn't mean that he had any hand in the matter. 

2 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

Williams isnt that good either.   best Bet would be probably picking Wynn or a WR or TE.  WR wise i wanna go with Sutton. 

I guess i'm just a lot higher on Williams than you are.  Other than not having ideal LT arm length, and having some up and down games coming back from injury this year...i don't see that much to dislike about him.

WR wise, i'd definitely go with Sutton.  That was my initial thought in what i'd probably want to do.  But it is hard to see this staff investing like that.  It'd mean sitting someone they either really like, or have given significant money to fairly often, which seems unlikely.  They've cluttered the middling bit of the WR depth chart all up badly.  I'd be pretty thrilled with Sutton though.  Or Williams obviously.

Just now, Tugboat said:

I guess i'm just a lot higher on Williams than you are.  Other than not having ideal LT arm length, and having some up and down games coming back from injury this year...i don't see that much to dislike about him.

WR wise, i'd definitely go with Sutton.  That was my initial thought in what i'd probably want to do.  But it is hard to see this staff investing like that.  It'd mean sitting someone they either really like, or have given significant money to fairly often, which seems unlikely.  They've cluttered the middling bit of the WR depth chart all up badly.  I'd be pretty thrilled with Sutton though.  Or Williams obviously.

im just not high on this OL class at the tackle position. 

i like the tackles projected more towards the late 2-4 range like Orlando brown, Brandon Parker, Chukwuma Okorafor, and Brian O'Neil. 

11 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Signing an FA OL in the years where we were void of talent with limited options and where we are now is vastly different. Also, just beause he may have had a say doesn't mean that he had any hand in the matter. 

we had options of signing or drafting other guys. 

7 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

we had options of signing or drafting other guys. 

What were those options that were superior? Edit: Not even just superior, when we were in the position we were in (lacking talent), you gotta fill holes. We did that by signing a veteran OL who has proven to be solid on a cheap/no risk contract.

He clearly has a type. Read the article I posted showing exactly that. If you want to sit here and argue without having any reason for the opposite besides "Well, we signed Beachum to a 1 year prove it deal when he was here" (as an OL coach at the time may I add, than I'm not sure what else to say.

None of this means he can't draft a guy with different size than he prefers, but when we're talking about likely targets I'm much more inclined to go with guys that are that "type" than undersized/guys that aren't.

8 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

im just not high on this OL class at the tackle position. 

i like the tackles projected more towards the late 2-4 range like Orlando brown, Brandon Parker, Chukwuma Okorafor, and Brian O'Neil. 

I don't think it's a very strong OT class either (and that's probably going to end up pushing some of those later guys you like up boards anyway).  But if one of the two OT guys i'd call a 1st round value were to fall in our lap, i wouldn't pass that up just because i don't think it's a strong class at the top.

5 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

What were those options that were superior? Edit: Not even just superior, when we were in the position we were in (lacking talent), you gotta fill holes. We did that by signing a veteran OL who has proven to be solid on a cheap/no risk contract.

He clearly has a type. Read the article I posted showing exactly that. If you want to sit here and argue without having any reason for the opposite besides "Well, we signed Beachum to a 1 year prove it deal when he was here" (as an OL coach at the time may I add, than I'm not sure what else to say.

read your article.  clearly Williams aint on his Type list either ;)

2 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I don't think it's a very strong OT class either (and that's probably going to end up pushing some of those later guys you like up boards anyway).  But if one of the two OT guys i'd call a 1st round value were to fall in our lap, i wouldn't pass that up just because i don't think it's a strong class at the top.

it doesnt help none of the top guys fall into Marrones type ;)

9 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

hes good but im not sure we want to draft a Pure Interior guy late. 

What makes you think this?

AJ Cann is clearly the weak link on the OL. We definitely need a guy long-term at RT when Parnell is done, but RG is pretty up in the air too I'd say. Ideally, we'd get a guy who can be slid inside until Parnell is done and then you can move him out there, but it really all depends on how they feel about Cann as well. If they don't see him as a long-term guy, we could see an OG and a developmental RT taken. There's a decent chance we'll need both spots filled in a year or two.

Archived