Forum by forum Mock Draft - Pick 29

2 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I'm just preemptively annoyed at the narrative being teed up. It's clear as day what's going on and where it's headed. It's all about the bolded. And the weird smugness about it.

i don't think anyone paying attention has ever really doubted that Lamar has the potential to go much higher than averaged/consensus projections and where the "h8ers" value him. 

But people are already getting their smug *** grins warmed up for it anyway. It's dumb imo. 

I get annoyed with lazy people that clearly don't watch him and see his stature (even though he's decent size) and his athleticism and think he doesn't have loads of arm talent and a chance to be a very special QB. Does he have weaknesses? Definitely. I'm not saying that everyone is going to see eye to eye on him, but some of the stuff that came out in the early stages or the draft process caused me to become incredibly frustratef and made me want him to succeed even more.

Most everyone has their guy and Lamar happens to be mine. He has been especially polarizing. You're damn right I'm going to have my grin ready for people like Bill Polian who said what he did about Lamar which clearly seemed to have went past the football field with his evaluation. There is no other reasonable explanation for what he said in my opionion.

7 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I get annoyed with lazy people that clearly don't watch him and see his stature (even though he's decent size) and his athleticism and think he doesn't have loads of arm talent and a chance to be a very special QB. Does he have weaknesses? Definitely. 

Most everyone has their guy and Lamar has been especially polarizing. You're damn right I'm going to have my grin ready for people like Bill Polian who said what he did about Lamar which clearly seemed to have went past the football field with his evaluation. There is no other reasonable explanation for what he said in my opionion.

I guess I just don't understand what exactly you'd really have to grin about or "stick it to" bill polian with Lamar going higher than polian likes him. 

Its like...if/when Josh Allen goes 1 or top-5 or whatever, way higher than the extremely numerous, vocal, and often times equally ignorant naysayers who clearly haven't watched him, think he should go...it doesn't really vindicate squat either. He could still flame out just as hard. Same as Lamar Jackson. 

Its not like it's a great insight to "predict" that highly touted QB prospects might go higher than expected, or higher than they probably should even. 

It feels like it's just part of this annoying twitter hot take culture. Gotta be right or wrong immediately and thump your chest and put on that smug grin. Gotta get postured to deliver some irrelevant refrain of "I told you so". Against some particular villainized foe like, "the media". It's kinda immature and definitely premature imo, and it sucks how pervasive it's become. 

But whatever. Grin like a madman and yell "suck it bill polian" from the rooftops when Lamar Jackson ultimately goes...right about where a lot of people always sorta expected he might go. xD

15 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I guess I just don't understand what exactly you'd really have to grin about or "stick it to" bill polian with Lamar going higher than polian likes him. 

Its like...if/when Josh Allen goes 1 or top-5 or whatever, way higher than the extremely numerous, vocal, and often times equally ignorant naysayers who clearly haven't watched him, think he should go...it doesn't really vindicate squat either. He could still flame out just as hard. Same as Lamar Jackson. 

Its not like it's a great insight to "predict" that highly touted QB prospects might go higher than expected, or higher than they probably should even. 

It feels like it's just part of this annoying twitter hot take culture. Gotta be right or wrong immediately and thump your chest and put on that smug grin. Gotta get postured to deliver some irrelevant refrain of "I told you so". Against some particular villainized foe like, "the media". It's kinda immature and definitely premature imo, and it sucks how pervasive it's become. 

But whatever. Grin like a madman and yell "suck it bill polian" from the rooftops when Lamar Jackson ultimately goes...right about where a lot of people always sorta expected he might go. xD

How is it any different than someone being happy about proving someone wrong/being right in a situation? Its not going to change anything that has happened, but you're still going to be thinking in your mind that you were right and that other person was wrong. This is different than some normal conversation on who we personally think we draft/who we want and we end up being right. Has to do with a slight that isn't football related towards Lamar imo.

Not that it directly relates to me, but he has been a guy I've followed VERY closely since the early goings and have wanted him to greatly succeed. When you watch something and feel a certain way and a large amount of the media says something completely different, especially when it seemed to have extended past the football field as I stated and thought it was ridiculous that it was happening, and it happens, I think I'm far from the only one that would come away feeling happy about things.

As far as mock drafts, you continue to say people are mocking him higher now so that means people always thought/said he would get taken in the mid 1st. Pre combine, I never saw any of that talk. I'd love to be proven wrong if you want to show me legit analysts list him in the low/mid teens like he is now.

17 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

How is it any different than someone being happy about proving someone wrong/being right in a situation? Its not going to change anything that has happened, but you're still going to be thinking in your mind that you were right and that other person was wrong. This is different than some normal conversation on who we personally think we draft/who we want and we end up being right. Has to do with a slight that isn't football related towards Lamar imo.

Not that it directly relates to me, but he has been a guy I've followed VERY closely since the early goings and have wanted him to greatly succeed. When you watch something and feel a certain way and a large amount of the media says something completely different, especially when it seemed to have extended past the football field as I stated and thought it was ridiculous that it was happening, and it happens, I think I'm far from the only one that would come away feeling happy about things.

As far as mock drafts, you continue to say people are mocking him higher now so that means people always thought/said he would get taken in the mid 1st. Pre combine, I never saw any of that talk. I'd love to be proven wrong if you want to show me legit analysts list him in the low/mid teens like he is now.

I think you're completely missing my point here in continuing to reinforce his stupid "I'm right the bad man is wrong" thing, and the whole "prove I'm wrong about this irrelevant thing" angle.

I suggested that his mainstream "ranking" from prominent sources has always been misleading because its the product of an average between relatively really high, and relatively really low opinions. I explicitly said that, so I'm not sure why you'd expect me to go out of my way to prove otherwise.

Anyone who has really followed Lamar's draft stock like you, should have probably noticed all along that opinions are, and have the entire time...been extremely varied. 

It kinda just seems like you've been letting Bill Polian (who you apparently don't respect the opinion of) live rent free in your head over a particular take he has. Just eating up the very narrative you're so intently railing against and ready to grin smugly about when he's somehow proven "wrong" by something that doesn't even really relate to his opinion.  

Like...if you think the guy is a dumbass racist prick who isn't worth listening to...why ever put so much stock in how he values Jackson in the first place? Use some discretion in how much you let a particular media personality dictate the narrative for you in the first place imo. Don't let them influence your perception so much. Especially one you think has crossed some line that has nothing to do with football. 

16 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I think you're completely missing my point here in continuing to reinforce his stupid "I'm right the bad man is wrong" thing, and the whole "prove I'm wrong about this irrelevant thing" angle.

I suggested that his mainstream "ranking" from prominent sources has always been misleading because its the product of an average between relatively really high, and relatively really low opinions. I explicitly said that, so I'm not sure why you'd expect me to go out of my way to prove otherwise.

Anyone who has really followed Lamar's draft stock like you, should have probably noticed all along that opinions are, and have the entire time...been extremely varied. 

It kinda just seems like you've been letting Bill Polian (who you apparently don't respect the opinion of) live rent free in your head over a particular take he has. Just eating up the very narrative you're so intently railing against and ready to grin smugly about when he's somehow proven "wrong" by something that doesn't even really relate to his opinion.  

Like...if you think the guy is a dumbass racist prick who isn't worth listening to...why ever put so much stock in how he values Jackson in the first place? Use some discretion in how much you let a particular media personality dictate the narrative for you in the first place imo. Don't let them influence your perception so much. Especially one you think has crossed some line that has nothing to do with football. 

It's not just Polian. He just happens to be a big name that has headed this narrative. He went on national television with the take and it was a huge story. So yeah, that's who I'm linking too, but it's not JUST him. 

As I said regarding rankings, I have consistently seen up until a couple weeks ago that Lamar Jackson was a fringe 1st/late 1st and he was clearly not in the upper echelon of QB's. He was in the Rudolph tier, some people even having Rudolph above (which is crazy, and I don't even mind Rudolph. I wouldn't mind seeing him become a Jaguar(although at 29, ehh)).

But again, I haven't even made it a huge deal. I've largely kept my mouth shut on the subject on here. I hope Lamar succeeds and proves people wrong, especially those in the Polian camp. That's pretty much where it ends. Not sure how me saying that I hope he proves those people wrong and will be happy if/when he does is odd to you or anyone else. I'm sure there's plenty of others who feel the same way, and deservedly so.

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

It's not just Polian. He just happens to be a big name that has headed this narrative. He went on national television with the take and it was a huge story. So yeah, that's who I'm linking too, but it's not JUST him. 

As I said regarding rankings, I have consistently seen up until a couple weeks ago that Lamar Jackson was a fringe 1st/late 1st and he was clearly not in the upper echelon of QB's. He was in the Rudolph tier, some people even having Rudolph above (which is crazy, and I don't even mind Rudolph. I wouldn't mind seeing him become a Jaguar(although at 29, ehh)).

But again, I haven't even made it a huge deal. I've largely kept my mouth shut on the subject on here. I hope Lamar succeeds proves people wrong, especially those in the Polian camp. That's pretty much where it ends. Not sure how me saying that I hope he proves those people wrong and will be happy if/when he does is odd to you or anyone else. I'm sure there's plenty of others who feel the same way, and deservedly so.

Oh, there are tons of people licking there chops ready to "stick it to" polian and co. When Lamar goes higher than that crowd value him. Absolutely. That's what I'm getting preemptively crotchety about in the first place. I can see it being teed up and I think it's a stupid narrative...railing against another stupid narrative. Which makes it extra dumb.

Like i said several times before...Jackson being ranked on a lot of lists as late 1st has never been a hard and steadfastly accurate representation. Not when you have strong voices like polian very clearly even significantly lower than that on him. If you follow things with a bit of critical thought...it seems like it should've always been implied in those late 1st type rankings that there would be much higher opinions counterbalancing his "draft stock" as well.

Or not I guess. Whatever. I'm just annoyed that half the draft discussion among fans is going to be dominated by this "yeaaaaaaaah take that bill polian!!!" routine. As though it wasn't always a high likelihood that at least one team was going to seriously fall in love with one of the most dynamic heisman winning players in the draft, at the most premium position. After just watching deshaun Watson build a roadmap for him. 

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

Oh, there are tons of people licking there chops ready to "stick it to" polian and co. When Lamar goes higher than that crowd value him. Absolutely. That's what I'm getting preemptively crotchety about in the first place. I can see it being teed up and I think it's a stupid narrative...railing against another stupid narrative. Which makes it extra dumb.

Like i said several times before...Jackson being ranked on a lot of lists as late 1st has never been a hard and steadfastly accurate representation. Not when you have strong voices like polian very clearly even significantly lower than that on him. If you follow things with a bit of critical thought...it seems like it should've always been implied in those late 1st type rankings that there would be much higher opinions counterbalancing his "draft stock" as well.

Or not I guess. Whatever. I'm just annoyed that half the draft discussion among fans is going to be dominated by this "yeaaaaaaaah take that bill polian!!!" routine. As though it wasn't always a high likelihood that at least one team was going to seriously fall in love with one of the most dynamic heisman winning players in the draft, at the most premium position. After just watching deshaun Watson build a roadmap for him. 

This has barely even been talked about as far as "proving Polian and co. wrong". I literally just stated that I hope Lamar goes earlier than those in the media have portrayed (although I'd be more happy if he was our guy at 29), and hope he proves people wrong. This hasn't even been a consistent conversation and likely wouldn't have been if we wouldn't have had this back and forth.

It's fine if you dislike people feeling that way, but it's something that has happened forever and will continue to happen.

On 4/23/2018 at 11:17 PM, .Buzz said:

But again, I haven't even made it a huge deal. I've largely kept my mouth shut on the subject on here. I hope Lamar succeeds and proves people wrong, especially those in the Polian camp. That's pretty much where it ends. Not sure how me saying that I hope he proves those people wrong and will be happy if/when he does is odd to you or anyone else. I'm sure there's plenty of others who feel the same way, and deservedly so.

Rudolph as a Jaguar can we please kill this right now if the Jags draft Rudolph with any pick before a fourth rounder I will flip the hell out. Rudolph is the quintessential system QB. He was in a shoot out last year with KState he had the ball in his hands late down 5 at home against a 5-5 football team. He went 0-4 on completions the final drive of the game. His arm is avg at best he throws the deep ball well but struggles with intermediate routes because of his heavy feet, his footwork is ehhh. He also has the same issue Gabbert had when he first entered the league he looks as if he starts to panic when bodies are around his legs and it effects his vision down the field.  Mechanics can probably be cleaned it up but when I think of QBs, it's a feel its called the IT factor and he severely lacks it. And i'm not even worried about the 4 incompletions it just shows his lack of poise, and his inability to do anything but make it happen with his arm and his arm is not that talented.. but the thing with Mason is when that arm isn't cutting it what else does he have in that tool kit below avg athleticism? Its not going to get it done next level you either have to have top notch arm talent or be able to throw and run. Mason is a poor mans Bledeso he'll be a soft target next level he won't be any better than a QB like Jacoby Brisett and I doubt he'll even be that solid.

fast forward to 2:26 you're welcome

Archived