2018 NFL Draft

showtime

So Green sounds pretty good, but sounds a year or two away. Shouldnt be too much of an issues, as he can play behind Clark-Jordan (and maybe even Avril if he can return at some point?), build up his strength, and work his way into the rotation over the course of the season.

With Maxwell resigned now, Seattle can focus on shoring up a few spots for competition and depth.  RT, LB [ILB and SLB], TE, Interior DT and take a flyer on DB.

17 hours ago, One Punch Man said:

Not to be cocky, but who had us taking Rasheem Green in his mock draft?

This guy.

Nice.

I just heard Ian Rapaport on NFLN talking about how the Seahawks had done extensive work on Kyle Allen, who I mocked in round 7 on April 10.

But that hasn't happened yet, but Jamarco Jones did. I took him where we took Dissly, but 168 for Jones is incredible value.

Very excited to see what Solari can do with him.

Dissly annoys me because of the fact we signed Dickson and drafted Vannett in 3rd round recently (who I think may break out)

which means that we’ve spent a 3rd and 4th round pick on one backup blocking tight end,  because both can’t get impactful touches and reps. 

Also Sweat and Hurst went after him. 

1 hour ago, imani said:

Dissly annoys me because of the fact we signed Dickson and drafted Vannett in 3rd round recently (who I think may break out)

which means that we’ve spent a 3rd and 4th round pick on one backup blocking tight end,  because both can’t get impactful touches and reps. 

Also Sweat and Hurst went after him. 

Seems odd Seattle fans are ready to give Vannett the benefit of the doubt, yet are quick to throw Ifedi and Odhiambo under the bus. Vannett has shown as much if not LESS than both, yet Seattle should  avoid TE because of him? 

For me, Vannett gets to work as the weakside TE on 2 TE sets (which offer more more pass catching opportunities), and has a chance to prove himself capable as a receiving TE. This allows Dissly to work into the rotation slowly, and learn the position. If Vannett proves himself capable, he takes over as TE1, Dissly TE2. If not, Vannett moves on after 2018. 

Also, Sweat and Hurst were passed at least 4 times by all 32 teams. Why do people continually invest so much in "day 1" talent that slides to day 3. Im throwing something out there, but how many day 1 prospects with medical red flags get drafted in day 3 and succeed?

Vannett is definitely more of an F than a Y.  That's how he was used at Westerville Central and Ohio State.  He doesn't have the long speed to be a seam route kind of guy, but he does have initial quickness and good hands.  

Dissly was drafted because the team can't count on Dickson to play the Y beyond maybe this year.  Dickson's deal will cost less than $1.7M to get out of next year if they so choose.  $866K if he lasts through the 2019 season.  His contract has a $15K per game bonus structure in the final 2 of the 3 year deal, so they have incentive to cut at the end of this season unless he clearly outplays Dissly.  If cut after the season, the deal becomes a 1 year $3.6M deal.  Not bad for insurance on a position they were clearly targeting in the draft.  It would help the running game, especially considering the uncertainty with the RT situation. 

Dickson was never meant to be the long term answer at Y.  Vannett was never guaranteed to be the long term answer at F, but it looks like he'll get his shot unless Tyrone Swoops can outplay him.  How many reps and targets the F gets will be a reflection on what the coaching staff thinks of Vannett.

6 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

Vannett is definitely more of an F than a Y.  That's how he was used at Westerville Central and Ohio State.  He doesn't have the long speed to be a seam route kind of guy, but he does have initial quickness and good hands.  

Dissly was drafted because the team can't count on Dickson to play the Y beyond maybe this year.  Dickson's deal will cost less than $1.7M to get out of next year if they so choose.  $866K if he lasts through the 2019 season.  His contract has a $15K per game bonus structure in the final 2 of the 3 year deal, so they have incentive to cut at the end of this season unless he clearly outplays Dissly.  If cut after the season, the deal becomes a 1 year $3.6M deal.  Not bad for insurance on a position they were clearly targeting in the draft.  It would help the running game, especially considering the uncertainty with the RT situation. 

Dickson was never meant to be the long term answer at Y.  Vannett was never guaranteed to be the long term answer at F, but it looks like he'll get his shot unless Tyrone Swoops can outplay him.  How many reps and targets the F gets will be a reflection on what the coaching staff thinks of Vannett.

The 2013-2014 Hawks' relied on Zach Miller and Luke Wilson TE. I realistically think Vannett and Dissly offer alot of the same skillset those guys did. Mix in Dickson and you have a really outstanding blocking group. Its obvious Seattle wants to revitalize the running game. If you look at the balance of WR -> TE its pretty obvious the base offense Seattle will running is 2TE. Just having TE's on the field that can block will defiantly improve the run game. (Sorry Jimmy).

I like your idea of Dickson-Dissly being stabilizing forces for the quagmire at RT currently. 

I've generally hated most Seattle drafts under the Carroll regime. 2010 I loved (Thomas/Okung/Tate, etc.) but that was easy to love since it was such a talented class, we had 2 1st rounders, and were drafting high.... I admittedly was NOT high on Wilson (I thought he'd bust) but I did love the Wagner pick. I'll never forget Kiper bashing Seattle after trading down in round 2 and 'losing their guy' in Kendricks and 'having to settle' for Wagner, yet earlier that evening Kiper ranked Wagner ahead of Kendricks... that's kind of when I stopped listening to Kiper all together. 

Anyway, all said I loved this draft. I've come around to Penny but I was SUPER high on all our mid round picks, and I LOVE the Michael Dickson pick since Ryan is overpaid for what he brings. 

Archived