Vegas Mock...with a Gif(t).

vegas492

We know who has left and who is there...  Without predicting which post draft free agents would/could be signed, here is where GB is at.

Cap Wise:  13.5M under...different numbers of different sites, this one came from Spotrac and I believe accommodates all draft picks.  

TRADE OF PICK #14.  GB sends pick #14 (1100 points), pick #76-3rd round (210 points) and pick #133-comp 4'th (39 points) to SAN FRANCISCO FOR PICK #9 (1350 points)  GB selects MINKAH FITZPATRICK, CB/S, ALABAMA.  GB had a lot of boundary corners now, not one established player for the slot.  With Fitz, they gain a safety, corner, slot guy and they get what they are most lacking...a leader to build around.  I expect Gute to put his stamp on his first draft.

1*2_G88u_5ijZHZyTkhI5NYQ.jpeg

SECOND ROUND PICK, #45.  LORENZO CARTER, OLB, GEORGIA.  6'6'' 250 pounds.  4.5 40 yard dash.  36 inch vertical.  130 broad jump.  Great athlete, never dominated in college.  Has all the physical traits you want in an edge, just needs coaching.  Similar in size to Davenport, maybe even better measureables.  Bigger and a better athlete than Landry.

USATSI_10317980-718x490.jpg

THIRD ROUND PICK...TRADED.

FOURTH ROUND PICK, #101.  CARLTON DAVIS, CB, AUBURN.  Big boundary corner with suspect ball skills.  Great man to man kid, though.  Nice spot to take a boundary kid to groom under Williams and House.  Look at those long arms!

Carlton-Davis_0-300x270.jpg

FIFTH ROUND PICK #138.  SCOTT QUESSENBERRY, C/OG, UCLA.  6'4'' 315 pounds.  Played center in college, smart, technical and strong.  Interior o-line depth.

espnhs_scott_quessenberry_576x324.jpg

FIFTH ROUND TRADE, GB SENDS FIFTH ROUND PICK #172, FIFTH ROUND PICK #174 AND SIXTH ROUND PICK #186 TO SEATTLE FOR FIFTH ROUND PICKS #146 AND #168.  (60.2 POINTS GB, 56.4 SEATTLE)

FIFTH ROUND PICK #146.  MARCUS ALLEN, S, PENN STATE.  Larger physical style safety that Pettine tends to like.  Physical, should be instant player on special teams.

1506_h.jpg?itok=R-YWKA-R

FIFTH ROUND PICK #168.  DANTE PETTIS, WR, WASHINGTON.  6'2'' 190 pounds.  Fast, smooth, athletic family.  Much potential there.

598983116-rutgers-v-washington.jpg.jpg&

SIXTH ROUND PICK #207.  JALEN DAVIS, CB, UTAH STATE.  Another corner, but more of a slot kid with great quickness and plus ball skills.

DT1_OcMV4AEzhwN.jpg

SEVENTH ROUND PICK #232.  JOE OSTMAN, DE/OLB. Great small school developmental prospect.  Loves football.  Know what else he loves?  Fishing!  Gotta take him here.

Joe%20Ostman,%20Central%20Michigan

SEVENTH ROUND PICK #239.  ANTONIO CALLAWAY, WR.  FLORIDA.  Explosive player, good athlete, horrible off the field stuff and high character risk.  Feel like it is worth it here at the end of the draft.

CallawayAntonio_161105_8905_TimCasey.jpg

Summary:  I feel Gute will attempt to make his mark on this, his first draft.  Trading up for a blue chip prospect with leadership skills seems the way to go.  Along the way he gets his developmental edge player, at an appropriate place and gets some depth along the way.  I feel bad that I didn't get Rodgers immediate help at WR.

EDIT: used CBS big board for this exercise.

Finally, here is your GIF(T)....

giphy.gif

This is totally a Las Vegas mock

- it starts out with a huge gamble, includes some "slot" action, a roll of the dice with Callaway and then ends with impressive cleavage, that's Vegas all the way

Love to have Minkah, not sure I have the testicular fortitude to make that call when on the clock.

Another well done mock, I'm gonna comp you a visit to the VIP tasting room for the effort

Really like it.  Fitz reminds me of CWood.  He's a difference maker.  The only tweak I would suggest is instead of another safety at #146 I would take a TE.  Should be a very servicable one available.  Also love the flier on the troubled WR to end the draft.  Nothing risked, nothing gained.  Thanks for the gift......

Thank you all for the responses.  Shane...awesome response.  Wish I had been clever enough to add some of that to the post!

Here's the thing about Fitz, in my projection here, both he and Ward were available.  I see a huge need being filled here...and not just the slot position.  Leadership.  That is why I took him.  Everything you read about him is solid and he should evolve into the leader that the club has always wanted HHCD to become...but hasn't.

Plus, Minkah can cover everywhere on the field, and be a force against the run.  His acceleration to the ball is crazy good.

I just like that trade up scenario...especially for a year one GM.  Gotta make his mark.  And if you are going to take a developmental guy on the edge, let's do it in round two.

After that?  I picked my guys off of the CBS board..and I think that board is off this year, but we shall see.  I can see GB trading back up into the third to take a WR that falls a little.  And I have to admit to loving Marcus Allen, so I was thrilled to get him.

1 minute ago, ArthurPensky said:

I like Fitz and I want him in GB if someone like Landry isn't there, but... pick 14, 3rd, and a 4th for a "star" player? 

That is what the draft value chart said...I feel Fitz is a blue chip player and therefore worth it.  He's not only a great player, but also a great leader.  This team needs some of those.

Debated Carter or Key in round two.  Went Carter, but wouldn't be mad with Key there either.

5 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

I like Fitz and I want him in GB if someone like Landry isn't there, but... pick 14, 3rd, and a 4th for a "star" player? 

No way I pay that price with the holes we have.

That's Landry, a WR and an OT  in exchange for a "misfit" player

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

That is what the draft value chart said...I feel Fitz is a blue chip player and therefore worth it.  He's not only a great player, but also a great leader.  This team needs some of those.

Debated Carter or Key in round two.  Went Carter, but wouldn't be mad with Key there either.

Hey, I'm not saying that inst the value and he won't be  blue chip. I like him, probably over Derwin. Just don't really want to give that much up to get him.

Glad you went with Carter over Key. Something about Key seems off to me.

Just now, cannondale said:

No way I pay that price with the holes we have.

That's a WR and an OT for the price of a "misfit" player

I had the same reaction, but these aren't necessarily blue chippers we're trading. Would you give up Montravius Adams and Vince Biegel for the chance to land an elite defensive talent? What about Kyler Fackrell and Dean Lowry? Ty Montgomery and Jake Ryan? I think in all three cases my answer is yes.

24 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

I had the same reaction, but these aren't necessarily blue chippers we're trading. Would you give up Montravius Adams and Vince Biegel for the chance to land an elite defensive talent? What about Kyler Fackrell and Dean Lowry? Ty Montgomery and Jake Ryan? I think in all three cases my answer is yes.

Would you trade Bakhtiari and James Jones for a college player some say doesn't have a position to play ?

Two can play that game. You can't mix hand picked foresight and hand picked hindsight, just plain face value and I'll take a Landry, a third round WR and a fourth round OT every day of the week over Fitz

Archived