Vegas Mock...with a Gif(t).

vegas492

24 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Would you trade Bakhtiari and James Jones for a college player some say doesn't have a position to play ?

Two can play that game. You can't mix hand picked foresight and hand picked hindsight, just plain face value and I'll take a Landry, a third round WR and a fourth round OT every day of the week over Fitz

Who's handpicking? I literally just took our most comparable selections from the past three drafts.

Obviously no one is trading Bakhtiari to move up 5 spots, but what realistically are the chances of getting a guy like that in the mid-rounds? 10%? 5%? Like I said in my post, my first reaction was that I wouldn't want to give up the picks, but looking closely I can see how it could end up being worth it.

12 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Who's handpicking? I literally just took our most comparable selections from the past three drafts.

Obviously no one is trading Bakhtiari to move up 5 spots, but what realistically are the chances of getting a guy like that in the mid-rounds? 10%? 5%? Like I said in my post, my first reaction was that I wouldn't want to give up the picks, but looking closely I can see how it could end up being worth it.

You hand picked bums, I hand picked successes. What are the % Fitz is an "elite defensive talent" 10% ? 5% ?

My point was simply you have to judge a trade on current face value (or wait 4 years.)

I hate the value. It's cool if you do. I just think it's unfair how you did it. Front offices don't view value via recent failed picks either

I don't like Allen much and wouldn't bother with Callaway.

Other than that, though, this is what I'd call an ideal draft. Nicely done. Love Fitz, Carter, Davis, Pettis, Quessenberry.

I don't think Fitz is a "master of none." I think he'd be a Top-5 FS in the league, and also be pretty damn reliable covering the slot. He'd really tie the secondary together nicely.

And I'm also not terribly smitten when it comes to Kaley but I have to admit, that gif gets me going a little bit! ^^

9 minutes ago, cannondale said:

You hand picked bums, I hand picked successes. What are the % Fitz is an "elite defensive talent" 10% ? 5% ?

My point was simply you have to judge a trade on current face value (or wait 4 years.)

I hate the value. It's cool if you do. I just think it's unfair how you did it. Front offices don't view value via recent failed picks either

What? I just said I didn't handpick anyone. I literally took our comparable 3rd and 4th rounders from the past three drafts.

You obviously don't think Fitzpatrick is any great shakes. That's fine. But if the Packers or anyone else believe he's the next Jalen Ramsey or Jamal Adams (not guaranteed, but certainly more likely to pan out than a mid-rounder) and the value is right, then it makes sense to go up and get him.

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

Front offices don't view value via recent failed picks either

Sure they do, they've got a dossier on every player going back to the 90's. Who they wanted, who they thought was gonna be good. Then they go back and review after the draft and again in later years. Why were they right, why were they wrong ? Its a multi-million dollar investment in getting better

From what I've read, its a deep draft in the middle rounds (2-4) , so you want as many swings in there as possible. Both the traded 3rd and the traded 4th in this mock could be good nfl players, so you're doing a 3 for 1 trade. Very expensive and kinda risky. On the other hand, this is as "cheap" as its gonna get for the Packers to go up and grab a Tier 1 player based on 2 factors:

1) I've read that there are reportedly 12 such players in this draft vs 10 or less in others. ( debatable)

2) Its also the highest GB has drafted since 2009 - and its quite likely they won't be back any time soon. So if you're ever gonna do it, 2018 seems like a good time to pull that trigger. And as vegas noted, this is Gute's first rodeo sitting in The Chair. 

The highly successful NFL coach says he's sick & tired of the Defense being the stepchild. Well ?  If you want to do something about that, then you need better defensive players. New DC needs new toys. But the problem is that the majority of Plug N Play difference-makers on defense are gone by the time a Rodgers-led team is on the clock.  So vegas492 sipped his bourbon and pushed his chips to the middle of the table.

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Thank you all for the responses.  Shane...awesome response.  Wish I had been clever enough to add some of that to the post!

Here's the thing about Fitz, in my projection here, both he and Ward were available.  I see a huge need being filled here...and not just the slot position.  Leadership.  That is why I took him.  Everything you read about him is solid and he should evolve into the leader that the club has always wanted HHCD to become...but hasn't.

Plus, Minkah can cover everywhere on the field, and be a force against the run.  His acceleration to the ball is crazy good.

I just like that trade up scenario...especially for a year one GM.  Gotta make his mark.  And if you are going to take a developmental guy on the edge, let's do it in round two.

After that?  I picked my guys off of the CBS board..and I think that board is off this year, but we shall see.  I can see GB trading back up into the third to take a WR that falls a little.  And I have to admit to loving Marcus Allen, so I was thrilled to get him.

Wanna start by saying I love the draft. Great summary, and I like the first 3 picks a lot. Great work. 

Where I’ll be picky is the quote above. I don’t think you need to trade in order to make your mark as a GM. It can help. But remember Ted got Rodgers, Collins, and Murphy with his first 3 picks. Heck of a shame two had neck injuries. Murphy was promising in limited duties, collins was a HOF player if he played longer, and Rodgers should be a first ballot. 

If Gute can do that I think we’d all be fine drafting at our position of 14. Thing is, we won’t know until 4 years from now how it turns out.

3 hours ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

Still not into Minkah. Don't see what everyone likes so much about him

He’s the best defensive player in the Draft and the 2nd coming of Charles Woodson so there’s that...

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

He’s the best defensive player in the Draft and the 2nd coming of Charles Woodson so there’s that...

Completely disagree on both counts. Woodson could play outside at an all-pro level. Not sure Fitz could even be average there. He has no position. Nickel back, maybe. Safety, maybe. But I'd rather have a guy that I know can at least play outside. I just don't see him being an all-pro safety and I think that is his best position. 

15 hours ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

Still not into Minkah. Don't see what everyone likes so much about him

He pretty much does it all, he's fast, good blitzer, he can cover well, versatile enough to play many positions in the secondary. He and Derwin James are similar, except Derwin has better size. He'll play the star position day one if we draft him.

15 hours ago, cannondale said:

Well, he was arguably the best player on arguably the best defense in all of college football.  Ourlads had this on him:

Minkah Fitzpatrick*
S/CB, Alabama FBS_AL.gif
HT: 6001v |  WT: 204v |  40: 4.49v
From Old Bridge, New Jersey. The race for being the first overall defensive player selected in the 2018 NFL Draft is still very much up in the air. Without a dominant edge rusher stepping up via 2017 in-season performance, the focus may end up being on the most versatile defensive back in the nation.
Fitzpatrick, a true junior, has been a staple in the dominant Alabama defenses over each of the past three seasons. He is an equally effective cornerback and safety and with the way they use him, he legitimately projects to both spots in the NFL. His instincts and reaction times are off the charts, thus why the Alabama coaches try to put him as close to the action as often as possible. In coverage, Fitzpatrick can beat receivers up at the point of attack, stick to their hip pocket on underneath cuts, and run downfield with them. There is more than enough quick twitch to hang with the quickest of slot receivers and more than enough speed to run with deep threats. He has also proven to be a playmaker when the ball is thrown in the air, intercepting 6 passes in 2016 with plenty of return yards to boot.

Archived