Vegas Mock...with a Gif(t).

vegas492

Couple of things about the mock....personally?  I'd trade up.  GB doesn't need depth as much as it needs blue chip talent.  While I adore Landry and am really digging on Davenport, they are not the prospect that Fitz is...or Ward for that matter.  As a new GM, I'm thinking that Gute wants to make his mark, heck he said that he will explore "every avenue possible".  And you know what?  So far I'd say that free agency didn't go his way.  He didn't fail, but he also didn't succeed like I believe he thought he would...in other words, he missed out on a corner that the team desperately needs.

Now it is draft time.  He has the ammo to move to #9, I think that is where you realistically get a shot at Ward or Fitz.  Take either one.  In my scenario here, I took Fitz, easily could have been Ward.  Each to me would represent this new GM righting the perceived wrong that happened to him in free agency when he didn't get a top corner.

As far as the board and where guys were taken?  I went off of CBS...listed that at the end.  I believe that their board is off this year, but it is what it is...we shall see.  On that board, I saw a ton of value in round 5, so I moved around to get the guys that I thought would instantly help the team.  Could very well be that the value in the real draft will be in round 4...expect the same thing...move around and capitalize on what is there.

Lastly...about Allen.  I believe that Pettine's defense does well with large, physical safeties.  I also am unsure just how long Ha Ha will be on the roster.  So, I took a large, physical safety who at the very least should be a special teams ace while he gets up to speed on the NFL game.

Happy you all liked the Gif(t).  Figured everyone likes a little "reveal".

15 hours ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

Completely disagree on both counts. Woodson could play outside at an all-pro level. Not sure Fitz could even be average there. He has no position. Nickel back, maybe. Safety, maybe. But I'd rather have a guy that I know can at least play outside. I just don't see him being an all-pro safety and I think that is his best position. 

Maybe?  Maybe??  LoL have you been missing the last 3 years?  He dominated at the slot and at safety.  He’s the best safety prospect in a very long time.  He was the physical extension of Saban as a coach on the field; that’s how high his football IQ is.  

He didn’t play outside much bcuz Bama didn’t need him to but there’s no doubt in my mind that he would have excelled there too.  

13 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

He didn’t play outside much bcuz Bama didn’t need him to but there’s no doubt in my mind that he would have excelled there too.  

Football Outsiders disagrees with that take

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/futures/2018/futures-minkah-fitzpatrick

"...Minkah Fitzpatrick is not an outside cornerback "

Interesting read on Minkah from FO

30 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Football Outsiders disagrees with that take

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/futures/2018/futures-minkah-fitzpatrick

"...Minkah Fitzpatrick is not an outside cornerback "

Interesting read on Minkah from FO

After reading the article I'm not sure FO really does disagree with that take.  You quoted the first sentence only from the article, but they never say he 'couldn't' play there.  After reading this and watching the clips.....I really want him now. I like this quote from the piece

Fitzpatrick's value stretches well beyond coverage situations. Fitzpatrick is a hyper-aggressive player near the line of scrimmage. Whether he is defending the run or flying to the flats to minimize yards after the catch, Fitzpatrick plays with an intensity desired of a team captain and leader.

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

Maybe?  Maybe??  LoL have you been missing the last 3 years?  He dominated at the slot and at safety.  He’s the best safety prospect in a very long time.  He was the physical extension of Saban as a coach on the field; that’s how high his football IQ is.  

There is a better safety prospect in this draft.

He doesn't have great measurables, sure he has good instincts but Derwin has both. 

I'm not saying he is complete garbage but I wouldn't want to take him depending on the board obviously. Especially not in a trade up. 

Whenever there is that much difference of opinion, it speaks volumes. That shouldn't happen with a pick that high who isn't a QB. Risk / reward isn't even close for me.

I'm over the whole hybrid thing on most levels. If you want a CB, draft one. If you want a Safety, draft one. Keep it simple

If you go for broke, more often than not you end up in no man's land. That's fine for a guy like Hyde in the 5th round,  but not in the territory of #10 overall. Fans have been obsessed looking for the next Woodson around every nearest corner. He was a generational talent, not someone you replace on a whim

14 hours ago, Joe said:

Really like this draft. Not too thrilled we give up a 3rd to move up, but...

Are you more comfortable with the trade up if I list the last few 3rd round picks?  I'm not cherry picking here, just going back about eight years....

2017 Montravious Adams.

2016 Kyler Fackrell

2015 Ty Montgomery

2014 Khyri Thornton, Richard Rodgers

2013 didn't have one

2012 didn't have one

2011 Alex Green

2010 Morgan Burnett

Funny to see how often we don't have a third round pick.

Colts are eager to trade back from 6, bears at 8 have indicated a similar stance and Denver came out today and said they are open for business at 5

Plenty of options to go up, just a matter of the price tag yer willing to pay and if you have the trust in your personnel evaluations to make that move

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

Colts are eager to trade back from 6, bears at 8 have indicated a similar stance and Denver came out today and said they are open for business at 5

Plenty of options to go up, just a matter of the price tag yer willing to pay and if you have the trust in your personnel evaluations to make that move

Multiple teams willing to move down might mean the price to move up is less than normal.  Certainly would be good to look into and see what the cost would be.  

I nominate @Shanedorf to be the forum lead on that.  

Thanks!!

8 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Multiple teams willing to move down might mean the price to move up is less than normal.  Certainly would be good to look into and see what the cost would be.  

Thanks!!

I think more teams are willing to move down because they all want to take advantage of the recent price to move up. Everyone is fishing

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Are you more comfortable with the trade up if I list the last few 3rd round picks?  I'm not cherry picking here, just going back about eight years....

2017 Montravious Adams.

2016 Kyler Fackrell

2015 Ty Montgomery

2014 Khyri Thornton, Richard Rodgers

2013 didn't have one

2012 didn't have one

2011 Alex Green

2010 Morgan Burnett

Funny to see how often we don't have a third round pick.

No. That list means you need to do a better job, not give up. That list is why we have so many holes on the roster. Trading it away every year isn't the solution for a draft and develop team with a franchise QB to pay. There is no excuse. The hit rate needs to be better

19 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Thanks!!

"I will not accept if nominated and will not serve if elected."

William Tecumseh Sherman 1884

:D

I called Elway this morning, but he was too intent on gloating over the SB win vs the Packers, so I hung up on him. What a richard

Just talked to Chris Ballard in Indy, he says HC Frank Reich wants WR DJ Moore from his alma mater, Maryland, but we don't have a pick in that range. He did offer (2) of their 2nds for our # 14... I demurred.

The bears call did not go well either, but that's on me. I asked him how Gute's arse tasted after the Kyle Fuller negotiation. He was not amused and replied, we're gonna take Nelson and ram him up YOUR arse for the next decade ! 

33 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

"I will not accept if nominated and will not serve if elected."

William Tecumseh Sherman 1884

:D

I called Elway this morning, but he was too intent on gloating over the SB win vs the Packers, so I hung up on him. What a richard

Just talked to Chris Ballard in Indy, he says HC Frank Reich wants WR DJ Moore from his alma mater, Maryland, but we don't have a pick in that range. He did offer (2) of their 2nds for our # 14... I demurred.

The bears call did not go well either, but that's on me. I asked him how Gute's arse tasted after the Kyle Fuller negotiation. He was not amused and replied, we're gonna take Nelson and ram him up YOUR arse for the next decade ! 

Who is your chief negotiator..... @HorizontoZenith

Archived