D94W's Official Dallas Cowboys 7 Round Mock 2018

Dallas94Ware

Enjoy guys, i really put a lot of thought and research into these -

I usually get about 1 or 2 right, In 2016 I got 3 right including Dak. Which was nifty. Lets see if I can top that this year (so unlikely with 10 picks). And please feel free to comment. Ive put immense thought into this for weeks now, and it would be cool if my hard work on it sparked some good football and draft talk!

Round 1, Pick 19: Leighton Vander Esch, Linebacker, Boise State

My dislike for Vander Esch as a pick this early is well known. That said, he has good size and athleticism and is still a quality player at a position of immediate need. He can play week 1 in this scheme as a Mike, and could even cover the Will spot if needed. He makes too much sense for Dallas to not draft him. He fits the scheme, the right kinda guy mentality, and has the physical traits and potential the team has shown a desire for drafting. With an honorable mention to DJ Moore and Courtland Sutton, I do not think the staff handicapped their draft in releasing Dez Bryant and are not forced to select one immediately, but instead, find value later and create competition among the youth at the position, including Brown, Lenoir and Switzer.

Round 2, Pick 50: Marcell Ateman, WR, OSU

This feels extremely early for Ateman, who's inconsistency running routes beyond the first down marker is well documented. However, he excells at two things: Going back through the defender to catch a high throw, and running a horizontal route. Both of which easily aid a young passer who has struggled getting the ball out on time this past year for various reasons. At 6' 4" he has the frame to shield defenders away, the size to high point tough catches, and his immediate route tree fits perfectly in what our system in Dallas has typically asked of its larger receiver. Early for the player, but a good fit, and a player I can see them taking higher than the "projected value" considering Sutton will llikely be gone. If he isnt, expect the staff to trip over themselves running in his card instead.

Round 3, Pick 81: Terrell Edmunds, S, Virginia Tech

Edmunds has the versatile set of skills that allo him to compete in either safety role in this system. While having the speed and range for a centerfield and cover 2 guy, he plays aggressive enough to man the robber spot. He also possesses the man cover ability to come down and aid against tight ends and running backs. While known for whiffing open field tackles and never making the big splash plays, his versatility and consistency, as well as known team leadership factors, have him fitting perfectly for Dallas. He could easily go higher, but in most simulations I ran he was still available here. I can see him going round 2, and if he were gone, Nyheim Hines would certainly be the selection.

Round 4, Pick 116: Michael Hill, DT, Ohio State

With the first step ability and power-punching style off the snap, Hill is a versatile interior defensive lineman who rotate as the under or the nose in an even front, and even, potentially, see time as an end on a clear running down. His versatility and first step are what this staff has continually shown they covet, and with Tapper at DE being a let down due to injury, Crawford's cap number next year exceeding his on field value, the versatility of this pick adds both a rotational man inside and buys insurance against what could potentially be a much thinner depth chart all across the DL next year.

Round 4, Pick 137: Tyquan Lewis, DE, Ohio State

Double dipping both on the DL and from Ohio State?.Plausible, given, again, the versatility of the players. Lewis could fit as a pure RE, manning the weakside as the only true speed end the team has outside of Ealy. But, can also slide to the right end when asked. At 265-270, and a good upperbody build, he can provide depth at both ends while creating competition and insuring against Tapper injuring himself again. 

Round 5, Pick 171: Taylor Hearn, G, Clemson

At 330 pounds, he still maintains the footwork and second effort in run blocking assignments that the team lost with Ron Leary. Like Leary, his pass protection can get shuffled away from him as he loses ground and gets tied up trying to redirect his weight, but it is technical issues that can be worked upon. In all my homework, this is the most Leary-esque guard in the latter end of the draft. I can see the comparisons being made in the war room on draft day.

Round 6, 192: Chase Litton, QB, Marshall

The release speed is good and has a chance to be even faster if you clean up some technical stuff. The comparisons can be made very easily to Matt Moore, a former UDFA of the Cowboys and one of the better longtime backup options in the NFL. Litton has experience making smart decisions in a similar set of passing concepts, but his sloppy feet can become a troublesome thing to work with, which is why he is available. I could see him going higher to the right team, but if hes here, I cant see Garrett not beating the table for the traits Litton has shown. If he is gone, however, which is likely, RB Ito Smith makes good sense here also.

Round 6, Pick 208: Jack Cichy, LB, Wisconsin

Another player who couod very well go earlier, Cichy is a raw played who seeks the ball and is a quality player in traffic. He seems to get lost in coverage and has questionable understanding of blocking schemes unfolding in front of him, which could see him slip to here. If he does, his versatility as a guy playing the inside or playing on the outside gives the team depth and a decent athlete on special teams. If im rating him lower than others and he is gone, another good late round option here is Genard Avery, the Memphis LB, who provides similar tape in terms of the good, the bad and the ugly.

Round 7, Pick 236: Jalen Davis, CB, Utah State

The change of direction skills. Thats why he gets drafted. It typically is a good trait to draft upon late, and this team has done it before with as recent of a pick as Anthony Brown - but they also did it with a guy they just let go of in Orlando Scandrick. He just simply fits what they tend to look for late.

Now on a lighter note, Id be all for trading up and landing Derwin James or Edmunds, but also fond of trading back and selecting Sutton or Wynn; if those happened however, which I see aslikely scenarios debated on draft day, its ruin my whole mock here. But those are the most likely scenarios for early trading that I can see the team considering, knowing their track record.

This is such a hot and cold draft for me.

I love LVE. We would run a strong 3 LBers.

I hate the Ateman pick. Given how deep this class is for WR, I find it very challenging to believe a huge run happens before pick 50 to warrant taking Ateman there. Round 4? Go. Round 2? No way.

I like Edmunds as a player, but I really don't want to draft a S. I don't mind the pick. It is beyond solid in value. Just in't where I want.

I don't know enough about Hill to comment.

I like the Lewis pick.

I don't like Hearn pick. With such a deep draft at IOL, I want a starter from day 1. I don't think we get that with Hearn.

I like Litton.

I LOVE CICHY. God. Our future could be Smith - LVE - Cichy? Yes please.

I don't know about Davis.

This draft has a lot of ups and downs for me.

6 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

That’s a round or two too early for Ateman for my taste. If we’re looking for a WR in the 2nd round, I’d look at other guys. The rest of the draft was pretty solid, though. Tyquan Lewis could be the steal of that class.

Like I said in the caption below the pick, it is very early for Ateman and Id PREFER to look elsewhere.

Im actually not a high fan of Ateman. 

But im trying to stick to what I think they would do..Those traits are hard to pass up, the fit is right, and I cant see them risking missing on the type of player they like. The guys of the perceived 'better value' at that spot who could be available - Chark, Miller, Cain, Gallup, Pettis - do not run the same route concepts as Ateman, which is a huge boost.

Not that Ateman runs good routes. But what he does run is similar to what we do here. Eerily similar. Its what put him on my rader. Plus the size and range of Sutton who they are clearly hoping falls? Then they invite him for their 30? It just kept making more and more sense.

Washington, Sutton, Moore, Ridley and Kirk are likely gone by that point. And the others just...arent that same kinda fit. They also have a habit of overdrafting the guys they want to lock in their fit, especially in rounds 2-4.

12 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

This is such a hot and cold draft for me.

I love LVE. We would run a strong 3 LBers.

I hate the Ateman pick. Given how deep this class is for WR, I find it very challenging to believe a huge run happens before pick 50 to warrant taking Ateman there. Round 4? Go. Round 2? No way.

I like Edmunds as a player, but I really don't want to draft a S. I don't mind the pick. It is beyond solid in value. Just in't where I want.

I don't know enough about Hill to comment.

I like the Lewis pick.

I don't like Hearn pick. With such a deep draft at IOL, I want a starter from day 1. I don't think we get that with Hearn.

I like Litton.

I LOVE CICHY. God. Our future could be Smith - LVE - Cichy? Yes please.

I don't know about Davis.

This draft has a lot of ups and downs for me.

Like I said...I tried to do as close to what Dallas would do based on how theyve done it previously. Not so much for popularity or what I would do. 

They have a habit of over drafting for fit in rounds 2-4, especially 2. Ateman made sense to me before they even invited him on the 30 - can read my post above for more on why i put Ateman.

Day 1 starter at OL is hard considering the players available before Hearn. However, Hearns size and ability in the run game easily puts him at least in contention at for the starting job. Lot of Leary to this guy. Will depend how quickly he learns to adjust im pass protection.

Hill is a lot like Collins was as a prospect. The right size, first step and power to be a candidate for either inside spot. Which is what they seem to prefer. Cant play the under in this system if they cant also put you on the nose in rotation, and cant play the nose if you cant also play the under in rotation. Hill fits that. Good guy to cycle in there.

Edmunds...safety depth is a concern. And with Richard in there now as the coverage assignment guy, got to think he will want that rangey versatilility that we thought we were getting with Byron. It fills a depth need, a role need, and brings in a guy who just simply plays football who was a charismatic leader on his team. Theres safeties id prefer than him, but again, he seems to fit their MO of versatility, leadership, stand-up guy.

- Agree with you about LVE. Not my favorite prospect at 19, but I get it. 
- Agree with @plan9misfit about Ateman. Would love Ateman in 4th. 
- Really like Edmunds, Lewis, and Cichy picks. 
- Hill in 4th is a big reach imo. 

- I think G goes higher. Collins wants to stay at RT and it makes sense to leave him there. He was playing quite well at the end of season. 

1 minute ago, WizardHawk said:

- Agree with you about LVE. Not my favorite prospect at 19, but I get it. 
- Agree with @plan9misfit about Ateman. Would love Ateman in 4th. 
- Love Edmunds, Lewis, and Cichy picks. 
- Hill in 4th is probably biggest reach. 

- I think G goes higher. Collins wants to stay at RT and it makes sense to leave him there. He was playing quite well at the end of season. 

Ateman is a reach. So is Hill, whos versatility has hurt his stock. But so was Hitchens, Jaylon,(injury), Collins, and others we have taken in rounds 2-4 as of late. They tend to reach for their fit in those rounds and just not care about perception of value. Value is what they decide it is, and if it fits their mold, thats value to them.

I would like to see G be higher as well. But in sticking to thsir usual MO, I think they are content with Martin and Green competing with whoever they can add to the mix. Thats usually their style. And Hearns, telling ya, he looks a lot like Leary. Maybe he doesnt win the job in camp...But with some coaching to clean up his pass protection, he could be a powerful asset in the run game and a quality, Leary-esque starter.

I do whole heartedpy believe this team moves around twice in the early rounds. Up or down from 19 is very likely, given the near guarantee slide of several players they could be targetting, pushing them into a bracket with other players they have high opinions of at 19. That would be a down scenario, moving back knowing 2 or 3 targets should still be available. The move up scenario wouod be likely if one of the top 3 defenders falls from the top 12 and the cost isnt extravagent. 

The bigger likelihood is moving back up into late first or early second for the receiver or offensive lineman they covet. Having two fourths could really enable a jump up from 50, swapping their 50 and moving up perhaps using a fourth and fifth and a pick next year, or both fourths and a pick next year to guarantee Sutton, Moore, Hernandez, or, depending on what they did at 19, Evans or LVE.

1 hour ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

I like where you're going with it, I just don't love some of the players. Having said that, good work, can tell you did your research on this. As Broaddus always says on the draft show, "we like different flavors of ice cream".

Thanks. I really put in a huge amount of research and work into my cowboys mock. I try to remove all biases and stick straight to what the team tends to do and prefer. Hence the overreach in rounds 2 and 4 to get the better fit above the better overall prospects. The 'safe' pick in round 1 at a position of need over the risky overall better prospect. The type of DT they prefer, the type of guard they seem to orefer, the receiver who comes in already experienced in the route trees we run, etc... Lot of work and stacks of scribbled on looseleaf paper!

17 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Ateman is a reach. So is Hill, whos versatility has hurt his stock. But so was Hitchens, Jaylon,(injury), Collins, and others we have taken in rounds 2-4 as of late. They tend to reach for their fit in those rounds and just not care about perception of value. Value is what they decide it is, and if it fits their mold, thats value to them.

I would like to see G be higher as well. But in sticking to thsir usual MO, I think they are content with Martin and Green competing with whoever they can add to the mix. Thats usually their style. And Hearns, telling ya, he looks a lot like Leary. Maybe he doesnt win the job in camp...But with some coaching to clean up his pass protection, he could be a powerful asset in the run game and a quality, Leary-esque starter.

I don't know, I don't see many reaches in their past 4-5 drafts outside of Hitch and maybe Chaz Green in rds 2-4. 

Letting Martin/Green battle for starting rights at LG, sounds a lot like catching lightening in a bottle. Neither are durable and frankly shouldn't be starters in this league. Not sure Hearn fits this team. Lot of experience, but looks more like a power guy to me, not enough speed on pulls. He's well below the metrics Dallas has leaned to as well.

1 hour ago, WizardHawk said:

I don't know, I don't see many reaches in their past 4-5 drafts outside of Hitch and maybe Chaz Green in rds 2-4. 

Letting Martin/Green battle for starting rights at LG, sounds a lot like catching lightening in a bottle. Neither are durable and frankly shouldn't be starters in this league. Not sure Hearn fits this team. Lot of experience, but looks more like a power guy to me, not enough speed on pulls. He's well below the metrics Dallas has leaned to as well.

They relied on Leary for years, and had the best season any OL has ever had in all my years (2014) with Leary..whos lack of footwork on the pull is identical to Hearns'. Like Leary, he also is more of a power up guy who wins on his first step and a powerful punch with full elbow extension. He would be in the mix at LG as well, though you are likely not expecting him to win the job early in his career due to pass protection.

Chaz wasnt really a reach either. Some had him pegged as a mid to late second, majority had him as a 3-4 guy, which is ultimately where we took him. 

However, their reaches in rounds 2-4 of late:

Jaylon Smith (injury had him pegged for far later)

Damien Wilson (pegged as a late round ST guy)

Anthony Hitchens (also pegged as late round ST guy)

JJ Wilcox (Raw athlete expected to go much later than 3)

Kyle Wilbur (too 'unathletic' for 34 olb, too 'small' for full time 43 de)

Gavin Escobar (Several had other TEs slotted above him)

Sean Lee (Considered a huge injury risk, pegged as a 3-4)

So you see, the team has shown a tendency to reach for the guys they envision as a good fit or envision creating a role for. Guys that fit their system, showed leadership qualities, and had a good base set of skills to build upon. One can even argue Fredrick as having been a reach, pegged as a third round guy. In fact, most of DC nation was in an uproar over that pick.

This is probably the most solid draft I have seen yet. I think it was a reach for our 2nd pick.

But I am looking at 2 starters with LVE and Edmunds. Both of who have pro bowl potential.

Lewis could be a lethal 3rd down rusher for us. And Michael Hill may turn into a solid starter.

Atemen is a good WR but it may take some years before he is capable of handling the No.2 role.

Everyone else is solid depth.

1 hour ago, Calvert28 said:

This is probably the most solid draft I have seen yet. I think it was a reach for our 2nd pick.

But I am looking at 2 starters with LVE and Edmunds. Both of who have pro bowl potential.

Lewis could be a lethal 3rd down rusher for us. And Michael Hill may turn into a solid starter.

Atemen is a good WR but it may take some years before he is capable of handling the No.2 role.

Everyone else is solid depth.

If it makes you happier still, I didnt make these picks thinking "this is what Id do" but rather "this is what all their visits, tendencies, history and scheme fits leads me to believe they would do."

Ateman wouldnt have to be a starter from day 1, either. Hurns is a solid starter, and we have seen how much this staff likes Williams out there for his blocking and potential for big catches on the sideline. Ateman can relieve either guy, be a solid vertical threat, and study his route running concepts and master some tricks for a year or two.

He DOES have experience running several key option routes we run, however: the post-corner-post/sluggo option, the slant/slant-hitch option, the comeback/deep in option.and the quick hitch/stop and go option. Staples of offense that he ran well at college. So there is that chance he could earn a starting role this season, or at the least, help get Williams off the damn field a bit more.

Archived