Is the Steelers offense overrated?

CP3MVP

Every year the media/fans hype them up to be some type of greatest show on turf unstoppable unit  and it never actually pans out in reality. There was never a season with the “Killer B’s” were I felt they had the best offense in the league much less historically great.

I remember a Steelers fan said during the 2016 falcons playoff run

“The falcons offense this season is what the media likes to pretend our offense is”

Last year we certainly were. I'm hoping that had a lot to do with Bell's early absence and Todd Haley's godawful playcalling. I'd like to see Bell get his deal and show up for TC and Fitchner give Ben the reigns a little more. In terms of talent, we're second to none. We just need it to fall in place. 

Road vulnerability and decline from Big Ben are legit criticisms.  As is their RZ inefficiency.  

Changing OC’s will be a great test of whether the unit just isn’t as good as the sum of its parts or if a good part of this was on Haley.   Their RZ O should be way better than it’s been.  

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Road vulnerability and decline from Big Ben are legit criticisms.  As is their RZ inefficiency.  

Changing OC’s will be a great test of whether the unit just isn’t as good as the sum of its parts or if a good part of this was on Haley.   Their RZ O should be way better than it’s been.  

Agree about the RZ issues and there was also a tendency to get too cute on playcalling outside the red zone. Big Ben did have a couple bad games early in the season, but rebounded to play at an elite level late in 2017. I don't know if fans realize this, but the Steelers have only had the trio available for three full postseason games since Bell joined the team in 2013. 

28 minutes ago, LaserFocus said:

Agree about the RZ issues and there was also a tendency to get too cute on playcalling outside the red zone. Big Ben did have a couple bad games early in the season, but rebounded to play at an elite level late in 2017. I don't know if fans realize this, but the Steelers have only had the trio available for three full postseason games since Bell joined the team in 2013. 

Especially on 3rd/4th and inches.  

Archived