Is the Steelers offense overrated?

CP3MVP

9 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

Every year the media/fans hype them up to be some type of greatest show on turf unstoppable unit  and it never actually pans out in reality. There was never a season with the “Killer B’s” were I felt they had the best offense in the league much less historically great.

I remember a Steelers fan said during the 2016 falcons playoff run

“The falcons offense this season is what the media likes to pretend our offense is”

Never actually pans out? How do you over  rate constantly  making the playoffs and averaging  more than one SB every 10 years? 

1 hour ago, Duluther said:

Did people not see the playoff game against the Jaguars? That was probably the most explosive downfield passing game I've ever seen a team have. And it was against the best secondary in the league.

It took two incredible catches by AB (one on 4th down), a prayer from Ben to Martavis on 4th down, a great catch by Bell and a garbage time TD with 1 second left. 

1 hour ago, Duluther said:

Did people not see the playoff game against the Jaguars? That was probably the most explosive downfield passing game I've ever seen a team have. And it was against the best secondary in the league.

Most of that was garbage time. The Steelers offense was nowhere to be found when the game mattered. 

To answer the OP's question, yes very much so. They underachieve due to poor coaching. 

31 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

It took two incredible catches by AB (one on 4th down), a prayer from Ben to Martavis on 4th down, a great catch by Bell and a garbage time TD with 1 second left. 

That's the point. Only AB (thus this offense) could have made those catches. Very few offenses I've every seen could make that Ben-Bryant play. No HB I've ever seen could make that Bell catch.

Not saying the game was good or close. Just that the offense displayed so much talent and playmaking ability, moreso than I've ever seen in one game by any offense.

The truth is that Ben has been a liability the last few years that has consistently made less with more than anyone else in the league. The Steelers have the best supporting cast in the league over that time, but Ben keeps posting slightly better than average numbers with it.

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

I think they'll miss Haley more than they think. Sure, he wasn't perfect, but his results over the years (and teams) is hard to argue with.

What did he EVER do without elite talent?    

10 minutes ago, patriotsheatyan said:

The truth is that Ben has been a liability the last few years that has consistently made less with more than anyone else in the league. The Steelers have the best supporting cast in the league over that time, but Ben keeps posting slightly better than average numbers with it.

Ben is not an elite QB, and most Steeler fans would likely admit that....but saying he is a liability and only posts slightly better than average numbers is either just hating or utterly clueless. 

19 minutes ago, patriotsheatyan said:

This is absurd.  Ben isn't elite anymore strictly due to inconsistency.  That being said, he was arguably the best QB in the league the second half of last season.  He still has elite stretches.  Calling him a liability is just...I don't know what to say to that.  It's just dumb

6 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Ben is not an elite QB, and most Steeler fans would likely admit that....but saying he is a liability and only posts slightly better than average numbers is either just hating or utterly clueless. 

Ben's average level of play at this point is borderline top 10, but he has a potential as high as any QB in the league and can post a near perfect game on any defense while also having a floor as low as any (real) QBs in the league.

Ben could go for like 150 passer rating, 520 yards, 5 touchdowns and no interceptions one week and then go under 200 and throw 4 ints two weeks later, this is a huge part of the problem with our offense's consistency which is it's main problem, but I think at least part of that was Haley's fault.

58 minutes ago, tribar said:

Most of that was garbage time. The Steelers offense was nowhere to be found when the game mattered.

You should actually have a clue about what youre talking about before you comment on something.   Just a thought.

3 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

Ben's average level of play at this point is borderline top 10, but he has a potential as high as any QB in the league and can post a near perfect game on any defense while also having a floor as low as any (real) QBs in the league.

Ben could go for like 150 passer rating, 520 yards, 5 touchdowns and no interceptions one week and then go under 200 and throw 4 ints two weeks later, this is a huge part of the problem with our offense's consistency which is it's main problem, but I think at least part of that was Haley's fault.

I think you are exaggerating Ben's inconsistencies. 

He had a poor first half by his standards, but he pretty consistent for the last 8-9 games. 

1 hour ago, tribar said:

They only scored 1 TD with essentially no time left, and at the beginning of that drive they were in position to win the game still if they scored sooner, converted an onside kick, and scored a field goal again, so It's not like the Jaguars defense wasn't trying to stop them until the very end.

You didn't even watch that game and we all know it now.

Archived