Is the Steelers offense overrated?

CP3MVP

6 minutes ago, game3525 said:

I think you are exaggerating Ben's inconsistencies. 

He had a poor first half by his standards, but he pretty consistent for the last 8-9 games. 

Yeah but go back over the past few seasons. It's not like Ben is consistently inconsistent ala Eli Manning, but he does have that problem.

2 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

Ben's average level of play at this point is borderline top 10, but he has a potential as high as any QB in the league and can post a near perfect game on any defense while also having a floor as low as any (real) QBs in the league.

Ben could go for like 150 passer rating, 520 yards, 5 touchdowns and no interceptions one week and then go under 200 and throw 4 ints two weeks later, this is a huge part of the problem with our offense's consistency which is it's main problem, but I think at least part of that was Haley's fault.

I think you overrate what "average" QB play in this league actually is.    

Now, early last year, was Ben playing average?   Yes, but the ENTIRE OFFENSE started off slow and didnt really pick it up until after the first Jacksonville game.    The second half of the year, he was playing as well as any QB in the league.

Look, I have no problem with people claiming our offense is overrated.....because it is, considering how much talent we have.   However,  I have no doubt the coaching/playcalling has held this defense back a good bit.      Will it improve this year?   I dont know, but only because I dont know how good of an OC Fitchner will be.   However, Haley was a bum whose entire reputation for having good offenses revolves around having elite offensive talent.

Just now, TXsteeler said:

Yeah but go back over the past few seasons. It's not like Ben is consistently inconsistent ala Eli Manning, but he does have that problem.

And even Ill agree with that....which is what has always held him back from being on the same level as guys like Brady, Rodgers and Brees.

However, calling him average/slightly better than average is absolutely laughable.  

1 minute ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I think you overrate what "average" QB play in this league actually is.    

Now, early last year, was Ben playing average?   Yes, but the ENTIRE OFFENSE started off slow and didnt really pick it up until after the first Jacksonville game.    The second half of the year, he was playing as well as any QB in the league.

Look, I have no problem with people claiming our offense is overrated.....because it is, considering how much talent we have.   However,  I have no doubt the coaching/playcalling has held this defense back a good bit.      Will it improve this year?   I dont know, but only because I dont know how good of an OC Fitchner will be.   However, Haley was a bum whose entire reputation for having good offenses revolves around having elite offensive talent.

You misunderstood me. I meant that, on average, Ben is around top 10 well above average but no longer elite like he was a couple years ago.

3 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

You misunderstood me. I meant that, on average, Ben is around top 10 well above average but no longer elite like he was a couple years ago.

Fair enough.

I dont think he was ever TRULY elite, though.    Doesnt help that he played in an era with 4 of the top 7 QBs to ever play the game, but the fact is, he has never been on their level.

They are, in reality, one of the most productive offenses in the league. The problem is they too often dont have a fully healthy offense. This passed season though it wasn't our offense that failed it was our defense. Pittsburgh is among the highest scoring offenses in the league. Best? Arguable. Overrated? Not even slightly.

And for the record i consider "rating" and "hyping" to be 2 different things.

Most Steeler fans are very aware of the capabilities and limitations of the team on both sides of the football.

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Fair enough.

I dont think he was ever TRULY elite, though.    Doesnt help that he played in an era with 4 of the top 7 QBs to ever play the game, but the fact is, he has never been on their level.

Roethlisberger has been elite enough to be a future first ballot HOF QB, and that's all which really matters. It's not all about individual stats, winning matters, too.

14 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

Every year the media/fans hype them up to be some type of greatest show on turf unstoppable unit  and it never actually pans out in reality. There was never a season with the “Killer B’s” were I felt they had the best offense in the league much less historically great.

I remember a Steelers fan said during the 2016 falcons playoff run

“The falcons offense this season is what the media likes to pretend our offense is”

The hype never matches the on the field production that's definitely true. AB and Bell certainly haven't underachieved though. They're a much better performing offense in Madden than real life.

4 hours ago, tribar said:

Most of that was garbage time. The Steelers offense was nowhere to be found when the game mattered. 

To answer the OP's question, yes very much so. They underachieve due to poor coaching. 

It was a one score game with 9 minutes left in the third quarter.

Did you even watch the second half? Or the game at all? 

They’re only overrated if you expect them/call them a GOAT offense or something. They’re still very good with the potential to be the best. They’re inconsistent lately which you can attribute to Big Ben’s aging or Todd Haley - we’ll see this season. 

~75% playoffs conversion this millennia in an average(for AFC) division, that's pretty enviable

their offence is probably 2nd or 3rd in the division going back that far getting bumped down on Manning years

probably overrated if comparing production against HOF QBs who have less around them, like Brees/Rodgers

they're very good; and have players at individual positions who are the best  

5 hours ago, LTF said:

It was a one score game with 9 minutes left in the third quarter.

Did you even watch the second half? Or the game at all? 

I think you meant 9 minutes left in the FOURTH quarter....where Ben threw his 4th TD pass of the game to make it 35-28.

Either way, he had no clue what he was talking about.

7 hours ago, LaserFocus said:

Roethlisberger has been elite enough to be a future first ballot HOF QB, and that's all which really matters. It's not all about individual stats, winning matters, too.

Ben has been one of the top QBs of his era.    Thats pretty obvious.    My point was he was never bonafide elite like the top 4 of his generation (Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers).   His inconsistencies in certain areas prevented him from being THAT good.

And while winning obviously matters, winning isnt a QB stat...its a team accomplishment.     Ben has a better career winning percentage than Drew Brees....and I dont think anyone in their right mind would even attempt to argue Ben has been a better QB than Brees.   

Winning is an all around team accomplishment, and while Ben has certainly been a key piece of the Steelers success over the years, he didnt carry a bunch of bad teams.   He has had a few average teams, but most of them have been in the good-great and even elite range.

Archived