Is the Steelers offense overrated?

CP3MVP

2 hours ago, Ryan_W said:

is Pittsburgh's coaching better than average?

so much better than what Romo & Rivers had that it can be a detriment for him in narrow, off-season, just-to-pass-the-time comparisons involving Ben?

there was some great coaching and playing by the recent Super Bowl winners

how much of Ben is Ben and how much is coaching.

Over the years I have heard alot of statements from people trying to down-play Ben's performances and accomplishments but nothing like this one.

I have heard that he is overrated because of the defenses that he has played with and I have heard that he is only looks good because his supporting cast. But never once have I heard anyone suggest that he is just a by-product of his coaching staff. That has to be a first.

I really don't know.

I had a silly idea that a football forum could be a gathering place for people to share the love they have for their team & players with other fans

I don't know anything about the Steelers other than that they're perennial favorites coming out of the AFC for most of two decades. I said as much two pages back.

I clicked on a Steelers coaching page just now and had 17 different faces pop up. Being the casual that I am; I had no idea an NFL team had 17 coaches on it, my HS team had 2.

Do they have bad coaching and Ben succeeds despite that? 

Coaching seems to be harder quality to watch and evaluate than just in a season of games; and is probably impossible for a casual like me

anything I've read here has a handful of coaches at the top, with a handful at the bottom, and then 25~ in the middle indistinguishable from one another.

On 2018-04-19 at 7:54 AM, CP3MVP said:

Every year the media/fans hype them up to be some type of greatest show on turf unstoppable unit  and it never actually pans out in reality. There was never a season with the “Killer B’s” were I felt they had the best offense in the league much less historically great.

I remember a Steelers fan said during the 2016 falcons playoff run

“The falcons offense this season is what the media likes to pretend our offense is”

overrated. They haven't won anything yet and also consider this:

top 5 OL

top 3 RB (depending if you value total game skillset passing blocking etc, but near top 3)

HOF QB

Wr's a HOF and usually 2 other really good starters.  They traded one with a troubled past and got a RD3 pick for him.

TE james and McDonald were good, not Gronk HOF like, but good (not Probowl either) 

Talent speaking I would say tops, but productivity not near the top, maybe not even top 5 - really underachieve IMO. I don't know all the stats but they have had way too many close games and  never came through in others that they should.  The ONLY way they could add more talent is if they got a probowl TE.  

Talent speaking, what other teams would be considered? I would like to see what other think about this. Playcalling is crucial, but none of us like our coaches anyways, so lets base this on talent>:(

On 2018-04-19 at 8:57 AM, lancerman said:

The media has an obsession with QB’s, WR’s, and RB’s and the Steelers have a HOF QB and the best WR and RB in the league. 

the league/media hype the game up, but reality is that D still can help win titles. The SB had teams move the ball and score at will but then Graham made that play and look what happened.  It would be my preference if the media wasn't biased towards the "skill" players. 

On 2018-04-24 at 11:54 PM, childofpudding said:

This doesnt have anything to do with it. The thread is about the current iteration of the Steelers offense. The Steelers havent been to the SB since 2010, and the last time they won in 2008, neither Brown nor Bell were on the team.

and that 2008 team had one of the worst OL's in the league , possibly the worst to ever win the SB.

21 hours ago, Ryan_W said:

I really don't know.

I had a silly idea that a football forum could be a gathering place for people to share the love they have for their team & players with other fans

I don't know anything about the Steelers other than that they're perennial favorites coming out of the AFC for most of two decades. I said as much two pages back.

I clicked on a Steelers coaching page just now and had 17 different faces pop up. Being the casual that I am; I had no idea an NFL team had 17 coaches on it, my HS team had 2.

Do they have bad coaching and Ben succeeds despite that? 

Coaching seems to be harder quality to watch and evaluate than just in a season of games; and is probably impossible for a casual like me

anything I've read here has a handful of coaches at the top, with a handful at the bottom, and then 25~ in the middle indistinguishable from one another.

There is alot of points to address here but I'll only stick to a few.

1) Having an opinion is perfectly fine and I wasn't trying to discourage you from doing so in the future and I apologize if that's how it came off. But, keep in mind that anytime you make such an unpopular statement you have to be ready to receive some backlash for it and also defend it. I mean, if that's how you feel.....fine. But at least state the reason(s) as to why you feel the way you do.

2) Stating that Ben has been a beneficiary of good coaching is strange opinion (IMO) considering the OC's that he has been given over the years.

Arians, if anything, benefited from Ben more-so than the opposite and is still living off his one "he lost all of his starters and still won" type of season. It's been beat to death on this forum about how much Haley (Steelers recent former OC) has held that offense back for the last 4(?) years or so. You're talking about an offense that features talent good enough to where they should be the #1 offense in the league, year in - year out and yet they haven't been. 

3) Take what you read about HC's and how good or bad they are on this forum with a giant grain of salt because according to this forum there is only one good HC in the entire league(Belichick) and the rest are easily replaceable. I call it the "Madden complex"(not really I just made that up lol but you get the point).

Inconsistent play from Bell and Big Ben with latter not being the type of QB that gets into a groove over the course of several games. He'll throw for 400 yards and 4 TDs once or twice a year but for the most part he's going 250 with 1 TD and 1 INT. 

Bell is also highly overrated. His YPC is quite low and while he does produce decent overall stats as a dual threat, I don't consider him overly dominant for stretches. He only had 11 TDs last year. 

On 4/28/2018 at 3:41 AM, 3rivers said:

overrated. They haven't won anything yet and also consider this:

top 5 OL

top 3 RB (depending if you value total game skillset passing blocking etc, but near top 3)

HOF QB

Wr's a HOF and usually 2 other really good starters.  They traded one with a troubled past and got a RD3 pick for him.

TE james and McDonald were good, not Gronk HOF like, but good (not Probowl either) 

Talent speaking I would say tops, but productivity not near the top, maybe not even top 5 - really underachieve IMO. I don't know all the stats but they have had way too many close games and  never came through in others that they should.  The ONLY way they could add more talent is if they got a probowl TE.  

Talent speaking, what other teams would be considered? I would like to see what other think about this. Playcalling is crucial, but none of us like our coaches anyways, so lets base this on talent>:(

Chiefs with Hill/Kelce/Hunt/Watkins have got to be rivaling the Steelers.

• 3 months later...
On 4/26/2018 at 5:00 PM, game3525 said:

Yup.

Ben may have been seen as the best of the bunch, but he was never considered a tier above Romo and Rivers. 

Depends on who you talk to, Ben's performance on the bigger stage has been clearly superior to either Romo or Rivers. It's going to be a major surprise if he isn't a first ballot HOF pick. The decline of the Steelers defense due to age, etc. after 2010 has been a factor in Pittsburgh not getting back to the SB.

Archived