Horizon Zero Dawn

On 8/15/2017 at 10:20 AM, Supersuavesky said:

With as easy as games are these days? It's a refreshing break. 

It also gets a little easier as you get better equipment and figure out how to beat the various enemies. Actually that's part of my enjoyment, figuring out how to survive the various fights and attacks. I used mostly the Precision arrows, fire arrows, tearblast arrows and, after joining the Hunters Lodge , the tearblaster (I think you need to join the Hunter's Lodge, the first time I received it was after killing Redmaw but the second time just before fighting him)

I feel like a frustration that comes from this game is the "old philosophy" it follows. Most games nowadays are ALL about doing it "your way". Take a game like Mass Effect Andromeda where you can literally get any skills you want and reset it for minimal cost. Stealth games now need to add a way to just go loud, things like that. But this game definitely follows the older philosophy of playing the game "their way". No matter how much you may like fire arrows, it's going to be INCREDIBLY inefficient to play that way. It's certainly possible, but when you figure out the "proper" way, the game is laughably easy in comparison. I generally use the "grind for a better weapon/levels", but it does not work on this game AT ALL. I got frustrated to the point of wanting to put it down despite really wanting to see where the story went. Then I found the trio of ropecaster, tripcaster, and tear arrows, and everything became relatively easy. 

In the end, I loved the game and even the combat, but I do feel a fault of the game was not really teaching this fact well enough. Even if you are level 50 and have the most expensive weapon in the game, you aren't going to one shot watchers. That is a frustrating fact to me, but one you need to learn. By the end of the game, I was constantly looking up the machine I was fighting looking for its weaknesses almost every fight. 

On 17/08/2017 at 0:25 PM, HighHopes said:

I feel like a frustration that comes from this game is the "old philosophy" it follows. Most games nowadays are ALL about doing it "your way". Take a game like Mass Effect Andromeda where you can literally get any skills you want and reset it for minimal cost. Stealth games now need to add a way to just go loud, things like that. But this game definitely follows the older philosophy of playing the game "their way". No matter how much you may like fire arrows, it's going to be INCREDIBLY inefficient to play that way. It's certainly possible, but when you figure out the "proper" way, the game is laughably easy in comparison. I generally use the "grind for a better weapon/levels", but it does not work on this game AT ALL. I got frustrated to the point of wanting to put it down despite really wanting to see where the story went. Then I found the trio of ropecaster, tripcaster, and tear arrows, and everything became relatively easy. 

In the end, I loved the game and even the combat, but I do feel a fault of the game was not really teaching this fact well enough. Even if you are level 50 and have the most expensive weapon in the game, you aren't going to one shot watchers. That is a frustrating fact to me, but one you need to learn. By the end of the game, I was constantly looking up the machine I was fighting looking for its weaknesses almost every fight. 

I like that about this game oddly. Games get too easy when you have all the power ups. This one doesn't. You can't just use one type of weapon. Fire arrows are only good for certain robots. I don't think there's as much variety in "There are set weaknesses, figure them out" vs "make your own build and play". I think it's more play smart vs playing free/as you wish. 

Also giving the player all the freedom often leads to a bad experience imo. It makes games unfocused.

• 2 months later...

I'm probably 15 hours in and this game is a ton of fun. I'm having a problem beating some of these machines though b/c I just don't fully understand certain this. I know the yellow parts are removable/weakness points but it's tough to exploit. Pertaining to the post above, I've been one-shotting watchers since the get-go. Just have to get them in the eye. The battle against the croc things was a doozy especially when the scrappers came in out of nowhere. That got me like 3-4 times before I learned how to keep the scrappers away and just keep focused on the crocs. Looking forward to continuing this. The battle in the first Cauldron was sick. Game is a lot of fun and pretty challenging.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

Game is on sale at BestBuy for $20 - just scooped it up, really excited to dig in. 

I find myself looking forward to playing it. I only play games if the wife goes to bed early b/c she's not a huge fan of them so when she does, even if it's only for an hour, I get to it. A lot of fun and pretty challenging. 

6 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

That giant bird when you first become a hunter was a hell of a fight. I really like this game. If anyone picks up the expansion pack, let us know if it's worth it.

Stormbird?  As with a lot of the bigger, more difficult machines, the trick to beating it is stripping it of its weapons - in this case the pods attached to its wings that provide it its electrical energy.

I loved this game when I first started playing it but oddly got pretty burnt out on it after the initial wow factor of the fights staled. Each fight comes down to essentially the same thing after awhile and although fighting an enemy for the first time is extremely fun once you know all the patterns its more of a nuisance running up against your 10th stormbird ect.. I don't know if I love the whole "Weaknesses" thing this game employs. At the very least I wish there were broader ways of taking down enemies besides shoot highlighted things and repeat. 

7 hours ago, drd23 said:

Stormbird?  As with a lot of the bigger, more difficult machines, the trick to beating it is stripping it of its weapons - in this case the pods attached to its wings that provide it its electrical energy.

Yeah, that's the guy. I have found the arrows that blow off the components are probably the most useful arrows in the game. The first hunted machine was also really difficult to beat when you have your companion w/ you who just gets pummeled and keeps getting up lol

3 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

I loved this game when I first started playing it but oddly got pretty burnt out on it after the initial wow factor of the fights staled. Each fight comes down to essentially the same thing after awhile and although fighting an enemy for the first time is extremely fun once you know all the patterns its more of a nuisance running up against your 10th stormbird ect.. I don't know if I love the whole "Weaknesses" thing this game employs. At the very least I wish there were broader ways of taking down enemies besides shoot highlighted things and repeat. 

It's really easier said than done especially w/ the flying creatures. They are fast and sometimes tough to find. I'm about 40 hours in (I think) and I'm still having a lot of problems w/ long legs, the gator ones (unless I have a ton of trip wire loot to make, then they're fairly easy), the invisible ones, and anything that flies. All cauldrons have been a challenge also. I really like this game

1 minute ago, JTagg7754 said:

It's really easier said than done especially w/ the flying creatures. They are fast and sometimes tough to find. I'm about 40 hours in (I think) and I'm still having a lot of problems w/ long legs, the gator ones (unless I have a ton of trip wire loot to make, then they're fairly easy), the invisible ones, and anything that flies. All cauldrons have been a challenge also. I really like this game

Yea I can see that but for me I hardly ever get touched from the creatures anymore. I might as well be playing duck hunt where occasionally I have to dodge the duck. I just wish there was more ways to play the game. Maybe being able to grab and mount the enemies mid fight like Dragons Dogma or use a less mobile tank with a shield or something. It just gets old doing roll roll shoot weakness roll roll shoot weakness. I still think its a great game but I guess I just don't see the "Difficulty" that others are seeing. 

Archived