Horizon Zero Dawn

Just now, Spartacus said:

Yea I can see that but for me I hardly ever get touched from the creatures anymore. I might as well be playing duck hunt where occasionally I have to dodge the duck. I just wish there was more ways to play the game. Maybe being able to grab and mount the enemies mid fight like Dragons Dogma or use a less mobile tank with a shield or something. It just gets old doing roll roll shoot weakness roll roll shoot weakness. I still think its a great game but I guess I just don't see the "Difficulty" that others are seeing. 

I get what you're saying b/c that's how I felt about The Witcher 3 although the enemies there were all so much slower and much easier than this, according to me. I get what you're saying but to me it's still a challenge so I'm happy lol. One thing I love is that you don't get overly powerful w/ each level up. It seems as if that's the major problem w/ many RPGs is that your characters just get so massively buff that 75% of the enemies become so outmatched that one swipe is just overkill. This game doesn't have that and it makes me happy. All enemies are still as much of a threat as they initially are.

2 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

I get what you're saying b/c that's how I felt about The Witcher 3 although the enemies there were all so much slower and much easier than this, according to me. I get what you're saying but to me it's still a challenge so I'm happy lol. One thing I love is that you don't get overly powerful w/ each level up. It seems as if that's the major problem w/ many RPGs is that your characters just get so massively buff that 75% of the enemies become so outmatched that one swipe is just overkill. This game doesn't have that and it makes me happy. All enemies are still as much of a threat as they initially are.

Absolutely agree with that and also I think this game has nailed that sort of out of control chaos of motion that fighting a living animal would be like. The graphics are great but what really sells it is the natural motions of each of the animals. They just feel real. 

6 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

It's really easier said than done especially w/ the flying creatures. They are fast and sometimes tough to find. I'm about 40 hours in (I think) and I'm still having a lot of problems w/ long legs, the gator ones (unless I have a ton of trip wire loot to make, then they're fairly easy), the invisible ones, and anything that flies. All cauldrons have been a challenge also. I really like this game

Spamming fire arrows at the Snapmaws (gator ones) works for me.

And as for Stalkers (the ones that can become invisible), a couple of well placed tearblast arrows can remove their ability to become invisible and their gun.

I rarely use traps and tripwires unless I'm up against multiple more dangerous machines, or in the cauldrons

On 11/13/2017 at 4:32 PM, drd23 said:

Spamming fire arrows at the Snapmaws (gator ones) works for me.

And as for Stalkers (the ones that can become invisible), a couple of well placed tearblast arrows can remove their ability to become invisible and their gun.

I rarely use traps and tripwires unless I'm up against multiple more dangerous machines, or in the cauldrons

I love me some trip wires. I use them all the time if possible. Setting them up and throwing some rocks or shooting a distracting arrow is my go-to. The snapmaws are definitely easier when there's a distance. The only time I've been around them was when I was trapped on a small island. They're a ***** then. The stalkers are still a big challenge for me. Getting their extra armor off is easy but they're still so fast and aggressive. I'm currently in the middle of the cauldron w/ the enemy people and the machines and they're all over the place lol. A lot of fun.

30 minutes ago, drd23 said:

As much as the visuals are amazing and the concept is novel, its the story is what makes it a GOTY contender imo - but you have to get to Meridian before it really starts to pick up

I've played probably 7ish hours and just got to Mother's Crown. I literally get lost in the world and just find myself roaming around. 

6 hours ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

I've played probably 7ish hours and just got to Mother's Crown. I literally get lost in the world and just find myself roaming around. 

Just make sure to kill every random normal animal (turkeys, foxes, raccoons, fish etc, not just the machines) you see while roaming and keep the skins and bones that they sometimes drop - they are crucial to upgrading carry capacity (which will be very necessary as you go) and you can't buy them from anyone in game

If you like it now and don't find it too grind-y trying to obtain all the necessary loot to build arrows and upgrade your carry capacity, you'll love it when the story opens up further on.

11 hours ago, drd23 said:

Just make sure to kill every random normal animal (turkeys, foxes, raccoons, fish etc, not just the machines) you see while roaming and keep the skins and bones that they sometimes drop - they are crucial to upgrading carry capacity (which will be very necessary as you go) and you can't buy them from anyone in game

If you like it now and don't find it too grind-y trying to obtain all the necessary loot to build arrows and upgrade your carry capacity, you'll love it when the story opens up further on.

This is good advice. I found myself looking for boar nonsense far too much b/c my resource pack filled up too quickly. It got annoying pretty quickly. Also, when you start getting mods, ditch the uncommon ones or sell them. They become worthless. Unlocking the skill to remove them is vital as well so you're not stuck w/ crappy mods for your top of the line bows.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2017 at 10:36 PM, drd23 said:

Came in here to see if this would be a good game for me.  This proves it wouldn't be.  I can't kill animals in games unless they attack me.  I avoid deathclaws in Fallout 4 even when I'm like level 1 billion because if I was in that scenario, I'd want deathclaws to thrive.

On 12/4/2017 at 7:23 AM, HorizontoZenith said:

Came in here to see if this would be a good game for me.  This proves it wouldn't be.  I can't kill animals in games unless they attack me.  I avoid deathclaws in Fallout 4 even when I'm like level 1 billion because if I was in that scenario, I'd want deathclaws to thrive.

You can always just override and animal and run them over and pretend you didn't see em lol

I just finished my 2nd playthrough and certain characters made me even more sad, and in one case more angry, than the first time around, even though I read/listen to less data/audio points this time.

Despite the fact that I knew the story, the quality of it meant that it still got to me.  The main quest "The Mountain That Fell" is just a brilliant piece of story writing.

Now onto the DLC and to figure out how to most effectively beat the new machines...

19 hours ago, drd23 said:

I just finished my 2nd playthrough and certain characters made me even more sad, and in one case more angry, than the first time around, even though I read/listen to less data/audio points this time.

Despite the fact that I knew the story, the quality of it meant that it still got to me.  The main quest "The Mountain That Fell" is just a brilliant piece of story writing.

Now onto the DLC and to figure out how to most effectively beat the new machines...

I just got to The Mountain That Fell. I left it though once I got the last power cell so I could get that armor.

Let us know if you feel the DLC is worth it or not and how many hours of additional game play you get. This game is insanely fun to me. I am thoroughly enjoying it and I'm being fairly "completionist" w/ it. Not boring at all.

Archived