WindyCity

1[1] Cleveland Browns: QB Sam Darnold [USC]
1[2] NY Giants: RB Saquan Barkley [Penn State]
1[3] NY Jets [Ind]: QB Baker Mayfield [OU]
1[4] Cleveland Browns [Hou]: DE Bradley Chubb [NC State]
1[5] Denver Broncos: OG Quenton Nelson [Notre Dame]
1[6] Buffalo Bills [Ind]: QB Josh Allen [Wyoming]
1[7] Arizona Cardinals [TB]: QB Josh Rosen [UCLA]

1[8] OLB Marcus Davenport [UTSA] 6'6" 254lbs, 33 3/4" arms, 4.58 [40], 22 reps, 33.5" vert, 10'4" broad, 7.20 cone

Davenport fits the profile of what Ryan Pace has shown early in the draft. He is a physical freak with more upside than production that plays a premium position. Davenport physically profiles very similarly to Jadaveon Clowney. Davenport has shown that he can physically overwhelm OTs with his size and power and that he has the athletic ability to create splash plays. At the Senior Bowl he went from struggling in the step up in competition, to dominating the game. People have raved about his work ethic, they have raved about his motor, and when you combine that with Vic Fangio coaching we should have a nice compliment to Floyd.

davenport_marcus_CP.jpg

*Trade: The Chicago Bears trade 2[39] to the Cincinnati Bengals for 2[46], 4[112], 7[252] The Ryan Pace 2nd round trade down is almost as much of an April tradition as Easter.

2[46] WR Anthony Miller [Memphis] 5'11" 200lbs, 4.5 [40], 39" vert, 10'5" broad

If the Bears are targeting WR or OG in the 2nd round I think they can afford to trade down as the depth is strong and they can add picks later in the draft. Miller fits what the Bears are looking for. He is a good route runner and he is explosive after the catch. He appears to profile as the ideal slot WR in the offense and he also offers experience outside where he can be used as depth if Gabriel and Robinson get banged up. Miller just makes big plays, down field, or on shorter throws he can create when he gets the ball. The Chiefs were in 3 WR sets a lot and that went up when Nagy took over. The Bears need someone worthy of that spot and who can handle 50 targets as a rookie and possibly a bigger role. Nagy mentioned the WR depth specifically at his press conference. Miller has the upside  The quickly deleted instagram story seems to be interesting as well.

AnthonyMillerDraftHub.jpg

4[105] OG Colby Gossett [App St] 6'5" 311lbs, 34" arms, 5.3 [40], 32 reps, 25 vertical

There is part of me that thinks the Bears are going to wait till the middle rounds to address OG, unless Nelson falls to them. They have someone in Kush who has started for them and they have an OL coach they cannot stop raving about. I think the Bears could add multiple day picks to Morgan and Kush and believe that Hiestand will create 1 starter out of the group. At worst Gossett is depth in case Kyle Long continues to struggle with injuries. Both the Saints [Pace] and Nagy [Chiefs] come from systems where they use mid round picks on OTs and convert them to OG. This gives the players with good size and arm length at a position that has increasingly become about pass protection. Gossett had a solid Senior Bowl week and looked good when moved to OG.

gossett_ull-wp.max-752x423.jpg

4[112] DE R.J McIntosh [Miami] 6'4" 286lbs, 34" arms,

The Bears literally have no depth on the DL. They currently have only 5 DLmen under contract at mini camp. The Bears need to add some depth to the position in the even of an injury and to play in the rotation. McIntosh fits the physical profile that the Bears like, he is tall, has long arms, and is still growing into his frame. McIntosh should play at close to 300lbs. when in an NFL strength program. Right now McIntosh is a big kid running around, he needs to be developed in the weight room and on the field. Jay Rodgers 

6_4788823.jpg

4[115] ILB Micah Kizer [Virginia] 6'2" 240lbs, 4.66 [40], 35.5" vert, 10'1" broad, 7.05 3 cone

The Bears are razor thin in terms of depth at ILB and they could use someone who can come in and play the run, which would allow them to use different personnel in nickel. Kizer is a big, athletic LB that can come in and immediately play the run at the NFL level. As an added bonus Kizer is a pretty accomplished pass rusher and blitzer, Kizer has 19 career sacks. The knock on Kizer is that he struggles in coverage, but the Bears can use him in a similar role to Christian Jones and let Kwiarowski play in coverage.

64861534.jpg

5[145] S Tre Flowers [Oklahoma St] 6'3" 200lbs, 4.45, 18 reps, 34.5" vert, 10'2" broad

The Bears depth safeties right now are Hall, Bush, and Houston-Carson, none of whom have shown any ability to play on defense. The Bears need to add another option to that group and give themselves another player they can turn to in case of injury. Flowers has the size and speed to be an NFL safety, he created 8 turnovers in college and defensed 25 passes. The physical tools are here and the Bears have had some success with Donatell developing day 2 picks and UDFA into contributing DBs.

w640-29c25abc9d053f274aed06b80272d38e.jp

6[181] OT Timon Parris [Stony Brook] 6'6" 312lbs, 34" arms, 27 reps

Great build and long arms to go with very solid athletic ability, Parris has the physical tools to be an NFL player. Parris can work as a backup OT and can possibly even move inside to OG in the future. The key is to give Hiestand a couple of young guys with physical tools to develop. When you have a so wildly respected coach in the building is to make sure there are always young guys in there learning. I think Gossett and Parris with some time with Heistand could be starting caliber OLmen.

image.JPG

7[224] RB Jarvion Franklin [Western Michigan] 6' 225lbs, 4.63 [40], 18 reps, 30" vert, 9'1" broad

The Bears need a RB with the size and power to fill in for Jordan Howard. Right now they do not really have anyone on the roster that is equipped to take the pounding that he takes and to run in short yardage and goal line situations. Franklin, who has visited the Bears has the size and power to fill that role. While Franklin does not boast elite athletic ability the Bears are not looking for an every down back.

Jarvion+Franklin+81st+Goodyear+Cotton+Bo

7[252] WR Jordan Trinnamen [BYU] 6' 190lbs, 4.3 [40], 40" vert, 12' broad[/b]

The Bears need some offensive depth with scheme specific skill sets. Trinnamen has the speed and explosive athletic ability to play the zebra position and can backup Gabriel without the Bears losing the speed dynamic to the offense. The Bears need to continue to sprinkle speed into the WR core as it was a staple in KC and the Bears only really have 1 player that can threaten defenses deep. The Bears were represented at Trinnamen's proday and hosted him for a private visit.

11784.jpg

Depth Chart

QB: Trubisky, Daniel, Bray
RB: Howard, Cohen, Cunningham, Franklin
WR: Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, Fowler, White, Trinnamen
TE: Burton, Shaheen, Sims
LT: Leno, Parris
LG: Kush/Gossett/Morgan
C: Whitehair
RG: Long, Watford
RT: Massie, Sowell

*Only 1 of Sowell and Watford make it or Parris gets stashed on IR.

RE: Bullard, RRH
NT: Goldman, Jones
LE: Hicks, McIntosh
OLB: Floyd, Acho
ILB: Trevathan, Timu
ILB: Kwitowski, Kizer
OLB: Lynch, Davenport, Irving
CB: Fuller, Prince, Cooper, Callahan, Leblanc, McManis
FS: Jackson, Hall
SS: Amos, Bush/Flowers

I would also be really happy with this. The more I think about it the more I move away from Nelson, especially with day 2-3 OG starters available. We need a killer DE to pair with Floyd and Marcus would be a great addition. 

46 minutes ago, G08 said:

Has anyone that has done mocks like this (great work as always Windy) ever hit on a pick?

The odd time, but it is a complete fluke. Too many moving parts.

I think Davenport could easily be the guy, but after the first 8 picks things usually go crazy.

Just looking at Pace's offseason history:

2015 - Marshall gone, drafts White #7. Paea gone, drafts Goldman

2016 - McClellin gone, drafts Floyd at #9. Slauson gone, drafts Whitehair

2017 - Cutler gone, drafts Trubisky. Paulsen gone (this is a reach here), drafts Shaheen

2018 - Gone - (OLB) McPhee, Young, Houston; (OG) Josh Sitton; (DE) Mitch Unrein; (ILB) Christian Jones; (WR) Kendall Wright, Cameron Meredith, Marcus Wheaton

OLB - only Aaron Lynch was added
OG - nobody added
ILB - nobody added
WR was addressed with Robinson, Gabriel and (ostensibly) Kevin White

If you ask me, OLB has two red flashing lights next to it just above a loud, piercing alarm.

OG has options with Kush, Grasu (at center), and Morgan
ILB needs depth
WR needs depth

Unless Pace has some day 2 or 3 sleeper at OLB, OR is expecting Aaron Lynch to save us, I just don't see how our first or second round pick isn't a pass rusher.

Davenport

Landry

Turay

Sweat

Carter

Armstrong

I think one of those dudes is going to be a Chicago Bear in 2018.

9 minutes ago, G08 said:

Just looking at Pace's offseason history:

2015 - Marshall gone, drafts White #7. Paea gone, drafts Goldman

2016 - McClellin gone, drafts Floyd at #9. Slauson gone, drafts Whitehair

2017 - Cutler gone, drafts Trubisky. Paulsen gone (this is a reach here), drafts Shaheen

2018 - Gone - (OLB) McPhee, Young, Houston; (OG) Josh Sitton; (DE) Mitch Unrein; (ILB) Christian Jones; (WR) Kendall Wright, Cameron Meredith, Marcus Wheaton

OLB - only Aaron Lynch was added
OG - nobody added
ILB - nobody added
WR was addressed with Robinson, Gabriel and (ostensibly) Kevin White

If you ask me, OLB has two red flashing lights next to it just above a loud, piercing alarm.

OG has options with Kush, Grasu (at center), and Morgan
ILB needs depth
WR needs depth

Grasu may be the worst Bears player regardless of position.

I think there are equal options at OLB and LG, both are pretty big needs.

The depth on the team is still really questionable. I was hoping for a 3rd wave of free agency to fill in some depth holes, but that has not happened.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

I think there are equal options at OLB and LG, both are pretty big needs

I agree, but I'm of the opinion that after Chubb/Davenport/Landry there is a precipitous drop off. At OG? Not so much.

At the end of the day, and I know I've said this a million times, I want Chubb or Davenport at 8 and the best iOL in round 2.

If we wind up taking Nelson at #8, then I think we need to trade down in round 2 and hope to get one of Turay/Carter

I hate that dude and I hate his breakdowns. You can fast forward 4 times and he's still on the same image.

Landry has an elite bend, but I'm of the opinion he can't set the edge in the NFL and he gets stuck on blocks too much for my taste. Can he get bigger/stronger? Sure, but do you spend #8 on a part-time pass rusher?

18 minutes ago, G08 said:

I hate that dude and I hate his breakdowns. You can fast forward 4 times and he's still on the same image.

Landry has an elite bend, but I'm of the opinion he can't set the edge in the NFL and he gets stuck on blocks too much for my taste. Can he get bigger/stronger? Sure, but do you spend #8 on a part-time pass rusher?

LOL.  I have same complaint, he does get stuck on one play too long.   Not so useful for scouting. 

He must have coached, position coaches do that.  Usually line coaches.  I have done that.  They will watch every second of every frame of every play of one of their players multiple times.  

I thought that video was good though.  I am sold that Landry is a player.  He has special rushing burst and skills.  Maybe a bit small, but I would be happy if Bears got him now wherever they get him.

I found an interesting one of Dak Prescott from another guy I'm going to post in a minute.

57 minutes ago, G08 said:

He looks like a speed only guy, which would be tough to take at 8.

He does remind me of Vic Beasley who has been very hit and miss.

9 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He looks like a speed only guy, which would be tough to take at 8.

He does remind me of Vic Beasley who has been very hit and miss.

I'm not going to get overly hung up on where they take their guy.  

They went and got Floyd and Mitch who were their targets worried other teams wanted them ahead of them.  

I highly doubt they trade up for anyone in first round, but I don't think they are concerned about over drafting a player.

So much of a players success is what coaches do once they have him, staying injury free and surrounding talent.  Few guys who are so great they would have made it anywhere regardless of situation.

I think this staff and team would be good with Landry.   I'm not going to be upset if they don't get him and take Edmunds, Nelson, etc.  I'm pretty much good with most anybody they take outside a WR at 8.  

1 hour ago, G08 said:

I agree, but I'm of the opinion that after Chubb/Davenport/Landry there is a precipitous drop off. At OG? Not so much.

At the end of the day, and I know I've said this a million times, I want Chubb or Davenport at 8 and the best iOL in round 2.

If we wind up taking Nelson at #8, then I think we need to trade down in round 2 and hope to get one of Turay/Carter

Yea I've been a huge Nelson guy but as the draft nears I really hope we go for the best DE with our first pick and an OG/WR with our second. 

Archived