1 Week Out Mock Draft

WindyCity

12 hours ago, G08 said:

I hate that dude and I hate his breakdowns. You can fast forward 4 times and he's still on the same image.

Landry has an elite bend, but I'm of the opinion he can't set the edge in the NFL and he gets stuck on blocks too much for my taste. Can he get bigger/stronger? Sure, but do you spend #8 on a part-time pass rusher?

Same was said of Aldon Smith, and he went 7th. Landry also gives you experience dropping into zone and in space where Davenport doesn’t. Fangio is big on bringing only 4 but changing up which 4 are coming, and Landry fits that concept very well. To me I see Landry’s floor as a part time pass rusher. I think his ceiling is incredibly high, especially beyond 2018. 

6 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Same was said of Aldon Smith, and he went 7th. Landry also gives you experience dropping into zone and in space where Davenport doesn’t. Fangio is big on bringing only 4 but changing up which 4 are coming, and Landry fits that concept very well. To me I see Landry’s floor as a part time pass rusher. I think his ceiling is incredibly high, especially beyond 2018. 

I just worry that having Landry and Floyd leaves you light on the edge. The past 2 seasons they have stuck a big body across from Floyd.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I just worry that having Landry and Floyd leaves you light on the edge. The past 2 seasons they have stuck a big body across from Floyd.

I see your point, but we didn't have a big body really last year. Acho is about 260 and started 12 games last year,  as McPhee only started 5 and Young with 2.  Young started 12 so you're spot on there, but even with Acho, who is JAG, we did really well vs the run. If Pace had went out and been the one to sign McPhee or Young I'd be more likely to think he'd want a big guy to set the edge out there, but I think he was just having the staff work weith what was under contract.

If we need to rotate Acho and Landry then I'm fine with that, as long as we get consistent passrush. We are in really bad shape there.

I am really going to miss seeing Young go fishing.

17 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Landry measured at the combine at 252 and likely can add a few lb in an NFL strength & conditioning program. Willie Young was 258. Acho 260. I’m not concerned. 

On 4/20/2018 at 1:10 AM, AZBearsFan said:

If the Bears draft Davenport it would be to be a bigger compliment to Floyd to play on the strongside. Landry and Floyd are to similar as pass rushers as they are both very light. The Bears wont draft Davenport to drop into coverage.

6 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Landry measured at the combine at 252 and likely can add a few lb in an NFL strength & conditioning program. Willie Young was 258. Acho 260. I’m not concerned. 

How tall is Landry though ? Landry can be good but in the NFL you have to beat OT's with both power and speed in combination. Good NFL OT's can beat just speed rushers. This was one of the problems Shea had and why he failed.

2 hours ago, TB 1 said:

How tall is Landry though ? Landry can be good but in the NFL you have to beat OT's with both power and speed in combination. Good NFL OT's can beat just speed rushers. This was one of the problems Shea had and why he failed.

Young 6-5 258

Acho 6-3 260

Landry 6-3 252

Drawing any discernible difference between them from a size standpoint is really splitting hairs. Also, ideally yes a pass rusher will be able to win with both speed and power, but there are definitely guys who are effective with just one or the other. Vic Beasley (NFL.com’s player comp for Landry) doesn’t really have a power game. Pernell McPhee really doesn’t have a speed game. Landry is also a rookie and a top tier prospect - it’s not as though he won’t develop a more diverse repertoire after making it to the league. No doubt same can also be said for Davenport. If either was a finished product then they likely wouldn’t be available to us at 8. I’ve been adamant that while I’d be thrilled with either my preference is for Landry. I think their ceilings from a production standpoint are similar but I think Landry is both more ready now and has a higher floor. 

53 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Young 6-5 258

Acho 6-3 260

Landry 6-3 252

Drawing any discernible difference between them from a size standpoint is really splitting hairs. Also, ideally yes a pass rusher will be able to win with both speed and power, but there are definitely guys who are effective with just one or the other. Vic Beasley (NFL.com’s player comp for Landry) doesn’t really have a power game. Pernell McPhee really doesn’t have a speed game. Landry is also a rookie and a top tier prospect - it’s not as though he won’t develop a more diverse repertoire after making it to the league. No doubt same can also be said for Davenport. If either was a finished product then they likely wouldn’t be available to us at 8. I’ve been adamant that while I’d be thrilled with either my preference is for Landry. I think their ceilings from a production standpoint are similar but I think Landry is both more ready now and has a higher floor. 

Yeah, and wasn't Freeney like 6'1, and isn't Donald 6'0?

19 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Yeah, and wasn't Freeney like 6'1, and isn't Donald 6'0?

Freeney was 6'1 but he weighed 269. I also saw Freeney use power with speed.  Donald is a rare tackle who is good without the size.

1 hour ago, TB 1 said:

Freeney was 6'1 but he weighed 269. I also saw Freeney use power with speed.  Donald is a rare tackle who is good without the size.

Also Freeney is a lock for Canton and Donald is well on his way. Those can’t be the realistic benchmarks for success for a draft pick. 

27 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Also Freeney is a lock for Canton and Donald is well on his way. Those can’t be the realistic benchmarks for success for a draft pick. 

I didn't say realistic benchmarks, but there's no sense in diminishing his size if there is concrete proof that it can be overcome. Furthermore, he's not even that small, as someone pointed out that he's 8 pounds under Acho.

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

I didn't say realistic benchmarks, but there's no sense in diminishing his size if there is concrete proof that it can be overcome. Furthermore, he's not even that small, as someone pointed out that he's 8 pounds under Acho.

That was me actually. ? 

I think this is a very realistic and well put together mock. And the 2nd round trade down certainly is a strong possibility with Pace. However, I personally wouldn’t be very happy about taking Davenport at #8. I want to maximize the value of having the eighth pick, and even if this scenario happens with all 4 QBs, plus Nelson, Chubb, & Ridley being off the board,  then I still think we can find a solid trade down partner to add an additional pick or two. There should be high interest in all the top DBs & LBs. With Ward, Smith, Fitzpatrick, James, & Edmunds all on the board, I would expect a team to covet one of those players enough to get a reasonable trade offer. The ideal situation would be to still land either Davenport or Landry a little further down in the 1st round. 

If Pace is really sold on either Davenport or Landry & doesn’t want to take any chances, then I get it, but I just don’t think that’s good value. This just seems like a year where trading down could really benefit us.

On 4/19/2018 at 12:08 PM, WindyCity said:

Grasu may be the worst Bears player regardless of position.

I think there are equal options at OLB and LG, both are pretty big needs.

The depth on the team is still really questionable. I was hoping for a 3rd wave of free agency to fill in some depth holes, but that has not happened.

Grasu should have been cut last year or year before I will be shocked if he is on roster again.  He just isn't good enough to play in the NFL.    

They already went berserk (for Bears) in free agency.   Only team that did more is maybe the Rams who are going all in for this year.   Too many holes to fill.

I think board has it right.   Going to be OL and OLB prioritized unless someone of high value falls unexpectedly.   OLB has to be in first 2 rounds because after that everyone will be gone except maybe a problem guy like Key, but I doubt he falls past early 3 at most.

Long's health is something I think that should have team/fans more worried.  I think that lack of injuries at OT is something the Bears can't keep skating on as well.  They have been playing with zero depth for years now.   

Archived