Week prior Mock

BZski

I would say this will be my last one but you know everyone gets the itch week of the draft. As of now this is what I got.

Draft:

#20- DET trades pick to NE so they can jump BUF and CIN for OT Mike McGlincey as a replacement for Solder. DET gets pick #23 and #63.

#23- OLB/ILB- Leighton Vander Esch- Lions insider Jeff Risdon said Lions really like LVE as they see him in a Clay Matthews role on their D and he is a 3 down LB that excels in coverage.

2nd- RB- Darrius Guice- I personally think he drops to Lions 2nd rd pick. Analyst seem to think Michel, Jones, and maybe even Chubb have leap frogged Guice. Lions have shown most interest in Guice out of all the other top tier RB's. 

#63- G- Billy Price/Austin Corbett- G's always drop in the draft so one should be there in rd 2. Plug and play LG to finish our starting OL.

3rd- TE- Hayden Hurst- Where there is smoke there is fire. The Lions have shown way too much interest in the top tier TE's to not take one. I am assuming Hurst is the one that falls to rd 3 because he is older than most prospects (25).

4th- DT- Tim Settle/Nathan Shepard- Lions wait to the draft the DT because draft is so deep at position. Really think either could be a steal at this point.

5th- OLB/DE- Arden Key- Didnt work out great, lot of off the field questions, quit on team but Lions showed a ton of interest in him. I think he is the guy that drops longer than expected.

5th- Trade*- Lions trade RB Ameer Abdullah  to TB for thier 5th rd pick. Lions take S- Troy Apke- Lions seem to like fast secondary players that are versatile. Apke can play in the slot and learn from Glover Quin for a year or 2 and possibly take over. Worst case you get a really fasy gunner on STs.

7th- ILB- Frankie Luvu- Lions have shown a ton of interest in him throughout the draft process.

Jeff Risdon is not a Lions insider. He's a blogger. He does attend workouts and such, but he has no inside connections to the Lions organization. In fact, he's a Browns fan.

As for the draft, I don't have an issue with the trade down. but I don't see Guice dropping to the 2nd round. If the Lions trade back and Guice is still available, he should be the pick, IMO.  I also think Hurst will not last until the 3rd round, nor Arden Key falling to the 5th. Not bad options to draft if they are at those spots, but I feel it's very highly optimistic that they would all drop like that. You have all of them going 1 to 1.5 rounds to late.

Archived