Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
kurgan

Fun Mocks--

Recommended Posts

I did this a couple of years ago on the other site, and had a couple of hours to spare, so just wanted to whip up a couple of fun mock for different situations.  My only rule for myself was to not reuse players (that's kinda cheating, lol).  Feel free to leave comments.  Might also highlight some lesser known prospects, idk.

 

Using Trade Value Chart for picks:

“All-In #1”

Trade 1.28, 2.60, 3.92, 5.148, 5.165 to Washington for 1.13

1.13—Minkah Fitzpatrick, FS Alabama

7.220—Nick De Luca, ILB North Dakota State

7.246—Daurice Fountain, WR Northern Iowa

 

“All In #2”

Trade 1.28, 2.60, 3.92, 5.128, 5.165 AND Martavuis Bryant to Oakland for 1.10

Trade 7.220 and 7.246 to Green Bay for 6.186

1.10—Roquan Smith, ILB Georgia

6.186—Dylan Cantrell, WR Texas Tech

 

“Screw the Offense”

1.28—Rashaan Evans, ILB Alabama

2.60—Jessie Bates, FS Wake Forest

3.92—Dorrance Armstrong, EDGE Kansas

5.148—Poona Ford, NT Texas

5.165—Tray Matthews, SS Auburn

7.220—DJ Reed, CB Kansas State

7.246—Joe Ostman, Edge Central Michigan

 

“Screw the Defense”

1.28—D.J. Moore, WR Maryland

2.60—Hayden Hurst, TE South Carolina

3.92—Kyle Lauletta, QB Richmond

5.148—Jaylen Samuels, RB/HB N.C. State

5.165—Scott Quessenberry, C/G UCLA

7.220—Keke Coutee, WR Texas Tech

7.246—Jordan Mailata, ??? South Sydney

 

“David DeCastro Situation #1”

1.28—Isaiah Wynn, OG Georgia

2.60—Malik Jefferson, ILB Texas

3.92—Komoko Turay, EDGE Rutgers

5.148—Quin Blanding, FS Virginia

5.165—Allen Lazard, WR Iowa State

7.220—Breeland Speaks, DE Ole Miss

7.246—Tony Brown, CB Alabama

 

“David DeCastro Situation #2”

1.28—Vita Vea, DT Washington

2.60—DeShon Elliot, FS Texas

3.92—Josey Jewell, ILB Iowa

5.148—Justin Watson, WR Penn

5.165—Trevon Young, EDGE Louisville

7.220—Brian Allen, C Michigan State

7.246—Brett Toth, OT Army

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just thinking about how miserable I would be if the Steelers traded their whole draft for Minkah Fitzpatrick lol

 

Anyways, these are pretty cool, good ideas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JPeezy55 said:

Anyways, these are pretty cool, good ideas.

Just a little fun a week out.  I have been working on my super serious actual one, and wanted to have fun with some What If scenarios.  The Vea one is inspired by the convo I had with @Steeler Hitman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Certainly creative, but I agree with @MOSteelers56 in that the "Screw the Offense" and "DeCastro Situation 2" are the only remotely decent and realistic ones.

And what exactly is this "DeCastro situation"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will bet that Wynn will be there at 28.  I just think he is not worth the pick with the depth at OG in this draft.  There is perfectly fine OGs available in the 5th

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Certainly creative, but I agree with @MOSteelers56 in that the "Screw the Offense" and "DeCastro Situation 2" are the only remotely decent and realistic ones.

And what exactly is this "DeCastro situation"?

Player not expected to fall actually falling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jebrick said:

I will bet that Wynn will be there at 28.  I just think he is not worth the pick with the depth at OG in this draft.  There is perfectly fine OGs available in the 5th

 

Also not worth the pick when it's not actually a need worthy of a high pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A player that I could see falling that would be a Decastro like would be Harold Landry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To play devils advocate, I kinda like the all-in drafts. Yeah I know we need picks, we have some holes to fill. But really, there’s no glaring holes. IMO, the biggest hole we have isn’t really a certain position, but just a splash play guy on defense who can change the course of a game. And we’d be doing it without giving up future picks. It would be risky because we would be banking on that player becoming elite. If he busts, or even just becomes a mediocre player, the whole draft was a waste. But on the flip side, there seems to be a bigger than usual drop off after about the top 13 or so picks and the next tier, particularly at the positions we are looking at. It’s the first time in awhile that I’m just not excited about our 1st round pick. So to move up and get a guy who could be crazy good like Minkah, Roquan, or Derwin for that matter, I wouldn’t be too upset losing picks in a draft that I feel is very weak. But, it’s very doubtful to actually happen though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2018 at 7:48 AM, KJtheWicked said:

To play devils advocate, I kinda like the all-in drafts. Yeah I know we need picks, we have some holes to fill. But really, there’s no glaring holes. IMO, the biggest hole we have isn’t really a certain position, but just a splash play guy on defense who can change the course of a game. And we’d be doing it without giving up future picks. It would be risky because we would be banking on that player becoming elite. If he busts, or even just becomes a mediocre player, the whole draft was a waste. But on the flip side, there seems to be a bigger than usual drop off after about the top 13 or so picks and the next tier, particularly at the positions we are looking at. It’s the first time in awhile that I’m just not excited about our 1st round pick. So to move up and get a guy who could be crazy good like Minkah, Roquan, or Derwin for that matter, I wouldn’t be too upset losing picks in a draft that I feel is very weak. But, it’s very doubtful to actually happen though.

I completely disagree we dont have glaring holes.

Bud Dupree is a huge bust and needs replaced ASAP.    

Our ILB unit arguably needs two new starters, and at the very least, needs ONE.

Javon Hargrave isnt good enough to play NT in this offense.     Maybe not a GLARING need, but not far off IMO.

And I have no faith in Sean Davis and very little faith in Artie Burns.     Havent completely given up on them, but neither are starting quality players from what Ive seen.   Sean Davis is barely backup quality from what Ive seen.        I would say we still have glaring holes in the secondary.

I do agree its a weak draft, and I wouldnt go nuts if we traded up for a great defensive player....as long as we didnt use a future pick to get up there....which we would likely have to do.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I completely disagree we dont have glaring holes.

Bud Dupree is a huge bust and needs replaced ASAP.    

Our ILB unit arguably needs two new starters, and at the very least, needs ONE.

Javon Hargrave isnt good enough to play NT in this offense.     Maybe not a GLARING need, but not far off IMO.

And I have no faith in Sean Davis and very little faith in Artie Burns.     Havent completely given up on them, but neither are starting quality players from what Ive seen.   Sean Davis is barely backup quality from what Ive seen.        I would say we still have glaring holes in the secondary.

I do agree its a weak draft, and I wouldnt go nuts if we traded up for a great defensive player....as long as we didnt use a future pick to get up there....which we would likely have to do.

 

I mean, I agree with some of what you’re saying, but I think the closest thing we have to a glaring hole is the Mack spot. I think Vince does fine at the Buck. He’s not an all-pro caliber player, and could be upgraded, but I wouldn’t say that’s an immediate need.

 

Dupree is frustrating. He has the talent, and we’ve seen flashes of it. This is not a Jarvis Jones situation. But we don’t know if we will ever see that talent consistently show up on the field. It will be interesting to see if they pick up his 5th year. So, yeah it’s a need, but I think it’s one that could wait one more year, mainly to give Bud one more year to put it together. 

 

I used to to think we needed to upgrade Hargraves, but I really don’t think we do. We play so much sub package that the NT doesn’t see much more than 20% of the snaps. He does alright as a 1 gap penetrator. He’s not your old school clogger like Hampton. We need a guy like that as depth and in obvious run situations like goal line, and big Dan needs to go. So I guess Dans replacement is a glaring hole, but one that can be attained late or in UDFA. 

 

Youre right about Artie and Davis. I mean, we reached for a 2nd round CB and wonder why he plays like a 2nd round CB! He is never going to be an elite player. But with that said, think about some of the CBs we’ve started over the last 5-10 years. Antwan Blake?!?! Cortez Allen?!?! Artie is at least a decent starter. Not a pro bowl caliber player, but the CB spot is not a need right now, unless you’re getting a bonafide lock down guy. 

 

Davis not playing up to par isn’t necessarily Davis’ fault. He is a FS imo. He was moved to CB his last year in college due to injury to another player. He came here and we needed him to play Dime. Then we needed him to move to SS, since we had Mitchell at FS. Now they’re talking about moving him to FS. There’s a lot to learn and adjust to, and he hasn’t been given the chance to settle in anywhere. The thing that bothers me about Davis is his tackling, which makes me nervous about him being the back end Safety. So we will see how he adapts back to FS this year. But for now, I don’t think this is a need unless we had a shot at a big time playmaker(I.E. Minkah, Derwin). 

 

So while I agree that there’s question marks, I’m not sure there’s glaring holes, meaning we have no one at this position who can start for us. The Mack spot is the closest. But the problem with our defense is, there’s nobody in the back end that scares anyone. We have a bunch of good players, but no game changers in the back-8. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×