Jump to content
TheKillerNacho

How much worse are we with Jay Cutler instead of Ryan Tannehill?

Jay Cutler vs Ryan Tannehill  

20 members have voted

  1. 1. If Jay Cutler starts the whole season, how does that affect how you think the season will turn out?

    • We win 1-2 more games
    • We're the same with Cutler as we were with Tannehill (no change)
    • We lose 1-2 more games
    • We lose a LOT more games, drop off from Tannehill to Cutler is steep.
      0
  2. 2. Do you think we can make the playoffs with Cutler?

  3. 3. Who do you feel more comfortable with starting if Tannehill can't go?



Recommended Posts

On 8/10/2017 at 0:41 PM, HorizontoZenith said:

You also have to remember that Cutler never had a combination of offensive talent, offensive line and good defense around him.  In 2010, Cutler took the Bears to first in the NFC North with a first round bye.  The Bears had a very strong defense, and Cutler had...

Aramoshadu, Earl Bennett, Rashied Davis, Devin Hester and Johnny Knox at receiver.  His left tackle was J'Marcus Webb in his rookie year.  The only help he had on offense with a name most fans would even recognize would be Forte and Olsen and maybe Olin Kreutz if you're particularly a fan of offensive line play. 

I doubt very much Cutler is going to beat New England, but I definitely think he will help the Dolphins reach the playoffs.  Ajayi, Landry, Parker, Stills and Thomas is easily a better overall skill position group than anything he's had in Chicago. 

So in 2013, when he had Brandon Marshall with 100/1295/12, Alshon Jeffery with 89/1421/7, and Matt Forte with 289/1339/9, that isnt better than the Dolphins offensive supporting cast?

I find that hard to believe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, footbull3196 said:

So in 2013, when he had Brandon Marshall with 100/1295/12, Alshon Jeffery with 89/1421/7, and Matt Forte with 289/1339/9, that isnt better than the Dolphins offensive supporting cast?

I find that hard to believe

Look at his offensive line from that year.  Kyle Long was the only good one, and he was a rookie that year.  That year he had one bad game.  2 touchdowns, 3 interceptions against the Lions in a loss.  Other than that game...

In games he started and finished, he went 5-3 that year with a 2 point loss to Detroit, the Eagles scored 54 points against the Bears defense, and he lost by 5 to the Packers on a 4th and 10 TD pass from Rodgers to Cobb late in the game.

In games he started and finished that year, he had 19 touchdowns to 11 interceptions in 10 games.  The Bears defense that year gave up over 22 points (NFL average per game) 11 times.  They gave up 30 points or more 7 times, 40 points or more 4 times and 54 points once. 

That Bears team was coached by Mark Trestman. 

I'm going to repeat that. 

That Bears team was coached by Mark Trestman

Considering all that, and considering the Dolphins (as far as I know) have a better offensive line than that 2013 season, and considering Ajayai, Landry, Parker and Julius Thomas... Yes, I think the Dolphins have a better supporting cast because they actually have a head coach that knows how to use them.

Basically, I've always thought Cutler was underrated.  He's a poor man's Brett Favre.  By that I mean that the better his defense plays, the better he plays.  If he trusts the defense, he doesn't throw away games.  If he trusts his defense and his head coach, he plays damn well.  If he doesn't believe in his team, he doesn't play well.  I am confident Cutler will trust in his defense with the Dolphins, but more importantly i'm confident he will trust Gase, and that's going to lead to some really good things for Cutler.  If Cutler stays healthy, I honestly see 4,000 yards, 30 touchdowns and 15 or less interceptions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Look at his offensive line from that year.  Kyle Long was the only good one, and he was a rookie that year.  That year he had one bad game.  2 touchdowns, 3 interceptions against the Lions in a loss.  Other than that game...

In games he started and finished, he went 5-3 that year with a 2 point loss to Detroit, the Eagles scored 54 points against the Bears defense, and he lost by 5 to the Packers on a 4th and 10 TD pass from Rodgers to Cobb late in the game.

In games he started and finished that year, he had 19 touchdowns to 11 interceptions in 10 games.  The Bears defense that year gave up over 22 points (NFL average per game) 11 times.  They gave up 30 points or more 7 times, 40 points or more 4 times and 54 points once. 

That Bears team was coached by Mark Trestman. 

I'm going to repeat that. 

That Bears team was coached by Mark Trestman

Considering all that, and considering the Dolphins (as far as I know) have a better offensive line than that 2013 season, and considering Ajayai, Landry, Parker and Julius Thomas... Yes, I think the Dolphins have a better supporting cast because they actually have a head coach that knows how to use them.

Basically, I've always thought Cutler was underrated.  He's a poor man's Brett Favre.  By that I mean that the better his defense plays, the better he plays.  If he trusts the defense, he doesn't throw away games.  If he trusts his defense and his head coach, he plays damn well.  If he doesn't believe in his team, he doesn't play well.  I am confident Cutler will trust in his defense with the Dolphins, but more importantly i'm confident he will trust Gase, and that's going to lead to some really good things for Cutler.  If Cutler stays healthy, I honestly see 4,000 yards, 30 touchdowns and 15 or less interceptions. 

Dont get me wrong, everything you said is fair and true to an extent, but dont you think that Cutler had more than a fair shake to seize his opportunity in 2014 with largely the same offensive supporting cast and failed miserably?  Yes, the Bears' defense was awful at times, but that doesnt change the fact that he underachieved when he had his chances to turn himself into a star.  Being optimistic for Cutler to step right in and perform like a starting NFL quarterback is completely fine and warranted, but I wouldnt go farther than that until he proves that he can play at a high level.  He's never once thrown 30 touchdowns in his career and I highly doubt this is the season for that to happen.  Also, he frequently throws more than 15 INTs.  Disregarding 2015, the last time he didnt throw 15 INTs over the course of a full season was 2007, his 2nd season in the NFL in Denver.  And yes, he was on pace to throw more than 15 INTs in every season he didnt finish except 2011

Basically, I'm happy as hell for Cutler that he's getting this opportunity, but youre expecting him to suddenly turn into the player we've all been waiting for him to turn into since 2012.  That simply isn't going to happen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't consider the Dolphin's offensive line good. Guard play is highly suspect. Jermon Bushrod  should give people shudders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, iothar said:

I wouldn't consider the Dolphin's offensive line good. Guard play is highly suspect. Jermon Bushrod  should give people shudders.

Our tackles are good and center when healthy. But you're right that our guards leave much to be desired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at Cutlers first preseason action, some things jump right out at you. I DVR'ed the game. First thing I saw was how quickly he got the ball out. He was right on time. The only "bad" pass that he threw, he threw it late because he had to climb a collapsing pocket, witch gave the S time to get over a break up the pass. Other than that, his passes would have hit the receiver in the facemask every time. Tanny has NEVER showed that type of accuracy. Tanny has never been really good at throwing short passes, most of the time they are off the mark. Cutler was right on target on the dump offs. Cutler also threw away a broken screen, instead of trying to run for yards. Again, this is one thing the Tanny does that frustrates me. 

 

Overall, I believe that Cutler is going to be an huge upgrade, because the things he does really well, will really help this team. Here are some predictions. DVP is going to have a monster season. Cutler already has chemistry with DVP, as he is vey similar to Alshon. Cutler isn't afraid of letting a big WR get the ball, so he will be forcing throws to DVP whenever he is in single coverage. Because Cutler has better ball placement, and better arm strength, DVP is going to have lots of opportunities. On the other hand Jarvis is going to have a dip in his stats. Cutler reads defenses differently than Tanny. Tanny would look for Jarvis, and force the ball sometimes. If Cutler is going to force a pass, it is going to be deep, not short. So if defenses double up on Jarvis, Cutler is going to look elsewhere. On the other hand, if defenses clamp down on DVP, Cutler will carve them up throwing passes to TE's, RB's, and Jarvis. 

The other big difference this year, will be confidence. Cutler is playing with house money. He has nothing to loose, and everything to gain. He is going to be able to play without any pressure, or expectations. Sometimes it looked like Tanny was afraid of making a mistake and it slowed him down, made him second guess. Cutler will just read and react.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Living in Chicago I've had the opportunity to watch a lot of Cutler. I think you guys will be surprised. When protected Cutler tears teams apart, and the Bears didn't invest in their O-Line. He has his faults, makes aggressive throws into coverage, and lacks leadership. Talent wise however the ceiling is limitless. I actually think you guys are the best spot for him to succeed. The Patriots are still the class of the field, and you won't sweep them, but I wouldn't be surprised if both games are close and you guys take one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, R8DR8five said:

Living in Chicago I've had the opportunity to watch a lot of Cutler. I think you guys will be surprised. When protected Cutler tears teams apart, and the Bears didn't invest in their O-Line. He has his faults, makes aggressive throws into coverage, and lacks leadership. Talent wise however the ceiling is limitless. I actually think you guys are the best spot for him to succeed. The Patriots are still the class of the field, and you won't sweep them, but I wouldn't be surprised if both games are close and you guys take one.

I'm certainly glad to see there are some Bears fans who still see him in positive light.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, I'm not a Bears fan. Take it or leave it, but only in Chicago would they despise their Franchise's best ever QB.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

here's hoping we get some entertainment out of the season regularly.... thats all i ever hope for these days!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kaiowas05 said:

here's hoping we get some entertainment out of the season regularly.... thats all i ever hope for these days!

We had it last year. I think we'll get it, one way or another, this year too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×