2018 NFL Draft!

Round 1:
Cleveland: QB Sam Darnold
NYG: DE Bradley Chubb
NYJ: QB Baker Mayfield
Cleveland: RB Saquon Barkley
Denver: OG Quenton Nelson 
Buffalo via trade with Indianapolis: QB Josh Allen
- Love it or (like most of you will) hate it, but Allen makes sense for the Bills. I believe Darnold is the guy they want and should he fall to two, they would make the move to get him. However, because he is gone the Bills make the move for their second guy. The Bills coaching staff and front office have been around QB with big arms, accuracy concerns but very smart players. Allen fits that bill and despite the rightful qualms by fans and some media alike, Allen is worthy of a first round selection. The Bills can build around him and and continue to build up their defense much like the recipe Carolina has followed.
*Trade details*
Bills receive pick 6, 49 (2,010 points)
Colts receive pick 12, 22 & 96 (2,096 points).

Round 2:

Pick 49 - TE Dallas Goedert South Dakota State.
- Outside of a great running game and defense, the best way to make sure a young QB can succeed is to get him a reliable TE option. I do not see Clay as reliable or on the roster next season. O'Leay is JAG. Goedert has the athleticism and catching radius to draw comparison to Travis Kelce. Well worth the pick here.

Pick 53 - WR Anthony Miller Memphis
- He may not be a true deep threat but his ability to get in and out of breaks as well as get off of press coverage allows Miller to get open quite often. The Bills need weapons on offense and especially at WR. Miller can play outside and allow Jones to work the middle where he should excel.

Pick 56 - OL Frank Ragnow Arkansas
- The versatility that he brings to the table is badly needed for the Bills. They have questions at both Guard and Center spot. Ragnow can start from day 1 at any interior spot and worst case scenario, he backs up each spot this season. 

Round 3:

*Buffalo trades back to pick 71 while Denver moves up for a QB and sending pick 149 (5th round) to Buffalo*
Pick 71 - LB Darius Leonard South Carolina 
- Much like OL the Bills need more bodies and playmakers at the LB position as possible. Leonard is undersized compared to traditional linebackers but McDermott seems to be moving the Bills into a NASCAR package and wants elusive and sideline to sideline players.

Round 4:

Pick 121 - RB Kerryon Johnson Auburn
- As much as we hate it, Shady won't be a Buffalo Bills for ever and getting a player like Johnson who has been a touchdown machine would be nice. Chris Ivory, Cadet and Jones are all free agents next year so the Bills need a young body under contract.

Round 5:

Pick 149 - DE Chad Thomas Miami
- I personally expect big things from Lawson this year but Thomas is a very good against the run as well and is someone the Bills have done their homework on. 

Pick 166 - LB Hercules Mata'afa Washington St.
- I think the Bills learned late in the season how to best use Zo and Mata'afa can be used in a very similar fashion. He doesn't offer much in coverage but he can be used on 3rd downs to blitz and play primarily on ST.

Round 6: 

Pick 187 - CB Parry Nickerson Tulane 
- Buffalo will need competition at the nickel and a potential outside running mate for Tre if Davis does not stay healthy. 

Depth Chart:

QB: McCarron, Peterman, Allen
RB: McCoy, Ivory, Johnson, Cadet
FB: Dimarcco
TE: Clay, Goedert, O'Leary
WR: Benjamin, Jones, Miller, Kerley, Holmes, Reilly, Clay
LT: Dawkins
LG: Groy
C: Bodine, Redmond
RG: Ragnow, Ducasse
RT: Mills, Newhouse

DE: Hughes, Yarborough
1T: Lotulelie, 
3T: Williams, Washington, Palepoi
DE: Lawson, Murphy, Thomas
WLB: Milano, Humber
MLB: Leonard, Stanford
SLB: Alexander, Mata'afa
CB: White, Davis, Gaines, Nickerson, Borders
FS: Poyer, Bush
SS: Hyde, Marlowe

K: Hauschka 
P: Schmidt
LS: Reid

If Allen and Rosen are still on the board passed 5 no need to move up for Allen the only team that would move ahead of the bills would be arizona to grab a qb and that will be for rosen. Im not buying allen per previous thread so wont get in to it. Without knowing what other picks were tight end isnt something I would be thrilled about at 49 that isnt a need right now with the massive holes on oline, wr, and MLB i would much rather go that route also DT is another need cant keep on counting on Kyle Williams coming back so if that stanford DT Harrison is still available I would take him over TE. I can live with Ragnow and Miller. Bills spent most of their pre draft picks on CBs so I expect an earlier one then round 7.

Yeah please give me Rosen over Allen but I have been hearing a lot of rumors online of the Bills liking Allen.

I'd be escastic with Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield.

Allen and Jackson I'd be happy/content with.

But if we strike out and don't get any of the top 5 then ill be pissed.

Like @NickChowaniec said, other than Allen being the pick the rest of the draft is incredible. Taking Allen over Rosen would cause me to have a meltdown. I had one when we drafted EJ and I don't think I can make it through two. Goedart and Miller would be incredible additions to the offense. I'd love some OL help if the value is there but two skill position additions would give whoever is QB a chance. 

13 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

2018 NFL Draft!

Round 1:
Cleveland: QB Sam Darnold
NYG: DE Bradley Chubb
NYJ: QB Baker Mayfield
Cleveland: RB Saquon Barkley
Denver: OG Quenton Nelson 
Buffalo via trade with Indianapolis: QB Josh Allen
- Love it or (like most of you will) hate it, but Allen makes sense for the Bills. I believe Darnold is the guy they want and should he fall to two, they would make the move to get him. However, because he is gone the Bills make the move for their second guy. The Bills coaching staff and front office have been around QB with big arms, accuracy concerns but very smart players. Allen fits that bill and despite the rightful qualms by fans and some media alike, Allen is worthy of a first round selection. The Bills can build around him and and continue to build up their defense much like the recipe Carolina has followed.
*Trade details*
Bills receive pick 6, 49 (2,010 points)
Colts receive pick 12, 22 & 96 (2,096 points).

Round 2:

Pick 49 - TE Dallas Goedert South Dakota State.
- Outside of a great running game and defense, the best way to make sure a young QB can succeed is to get him a reliable TE option. I do not see Clay as reliable or on the roster next season. O'Leay is JAG. Goedert has the athleticism and catching radius to draw comparison to Travis Kelce. Well worth the pick here.

Pick 53 - WR Anthony Miller Memphis
- He may not be a true deep threat but his ability to get in and out of breaks as well as get off of press coverage allows Miller to get open quite often. The Bills need weapons on offense and especially at WR. Miller can play outside and allow Jones to work the middle where he should excel.

Pick 56 - OL Frank Ragnow Arkansas
- The versatility that he brings to the table is badly needed for the Bills. They have questions at both Guard and Center spot. Ragnow can start from day 1 at any interior spot and worst case scenario, he backs up each spot this season. 

Round 3:

*Buffalo trades back to pick 71 while Denver moves up for a QB and sending pick 149 (5th round) to Buffalo*
Pick 71 - LB Darius Leonard South Carolina 
- Much like OL the Bills need more bodies and playmakers at the LB position as possible. Leonard is undersized compared to traditional linebackers but McDermott seems to be moving the Bills into a NASCAR package and wants elusive and sideline to sideline players.

Round 4:

Pick 121 - RB Kerryon Johnson Auburn
- As much as we hate it, Shady won't be a Buffalo Bills for ever and getting a player like Johnson who has been a touchdown machine would be nice. Chris Ivory, Cadet and Jones are all free agents next year so the Bills need a young body under contract.

Round 5:

Pick 149 - DE Chad Thomas Miami
- I personally expect big things from Lawson this year but Thomas is a very good against the run as well and is someone the Bills have done their homework on. 

Pick 166 - LB Hercules Mata'afa Washington St.
- I think the Bills learned late in the season how to best use Zo and Mata'afa can be used in a very similar fashion. He doesn't offer much in coverage but he can be used on 3rd downs to blitz and play primarily on ST.

Round 6: 

Pick 187 - CB Parry Nickerson Tulane 
- Buffalo will need competition at the nickel and a potential outside running mate for Tre if Davis does not stay healthy. 

Depth Chart:

QB: McCarron, Peterman, Allen
RB: McCoy, Ivory, Johnson, Cadet
FB: Dimarcco
TE: Clay, Goedert, O'Leary
WR: Benjamin, Jones, Miller, Kerley, Holmes, Reilly, Clay
LT: Dawkins
LG: Groy
C: Bodine, Redmond
RG: Ragnow, Ducasse
RT: Mills, Newhouse

DE: Hughes, Yarborough
1T: Lotulelie, 
3T: Williams, Washington, Palepoi
DE: Lawson, Murphy, Thomas
WLB: Milano, Humber
MLB: Leonard, Stanford
SLB: Alexander, Mata'afa
CB: White, Davis, Gaines, Nickerson, Borders
FS: Poyer, Bush
SS: Hyde, Marlowe

K: Hauschka 
P: Schmidt
LS: Reid

Well, I strongly believe Cleveland holds all the cards in this draft, if the Giants are not willing to trade back.If the Giants are just waiting for draft day to conclude a trade, then they hold the cards as well!

Denver has to be in a tricky position re a QB. Keenum had real success last year, but he played in a dome where QBing is a lot easier and with Denver, he will have to play more than half his games outside in weather that can be brutal at times. So, IMO Denver will be seeking a trade with Cleveland offering a third to move up one spot or maybe a 2nd, but they can also offer Cleveland the opportunity to draft the player they were going to take at #4 anyway and that may well tempt Cleveland into a trade, making a trade up with Indy rather worthless and we will have to settle for either Jackson or just go with McCarron.

Even if Denver passes on a QB, Arizona may well offer similar value to Indy and because there will likely be a bidding war, we just might have to spice up our trade offer over what the Trade Chart suggests.

It is going to be a very interesting draft day, that is for sure and I hope we get really lucky and a trade up to #6 gets us a QB, but I will be holding my breath the whole 1st 5 picks to see just who is able to pull off the necessary trade!!!

I would also point out that Rosen may well be the QB who falls on draft day, given his injury history, including 2 concussions and a shoulder problem.

14 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

@soflbillsfan I disagree about TE. Adding a legitimate pass catching threat is just as valuable as a WR for the passing game. Daboll loves his quick passing game and a big body like Goedert would give the Bills an element they haven't had in 20+ years.

At this point it is not a need as they have Clay and Oleary. With other position of need I just cant see them taking a TE over those positions that have gapping holes and to bring in this guy who may be future TE he will be 3rd or 4th on the depth chart this year. Again he may be a fit but the bills desperately need LBs, Olineman, WR speedster, and dlineman. TE and RB i think are the deepest position the bills currently have 

52 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

At this point it is not a need as they have Clay and Oleary. With other position of need I just cant see them taking a TE over those positions that have gapping holes and to bring in this guy who may be future TE he will be 3rd or 4th on the depth chart this year. Again he may be a fit but the bills desperately need LBs, Olineman, WR speedster, and dlineman. TE and RB i think are the deepest position the bills currently have 

I agree. I see TE as a luxury pick for us. But at the same time, it's not always about filling needs in order based on priority. If a stud slides to that pick sometimes you have to take him. Next year TE could be a huge need and if you took Dallas, that need is eliminated.

It's worth mentioning too that Clay is one more knee injury away from retirement and he's always nicked up as it is. If he's out, O'Leary can't handle it all himself. His ceiling is a #2 TE in my opinion. Dallas Goedert would give us a versatile TE for the future on a cheap contract as well. Having a rookie QB grow with a young TE is a major plus too. 

2 hours ago, NickChowaniec said:

I agree. I see TE as a luxury pick for us. But at the same time, it's not always about filling needs in order based on priority. If a stud slides to that pick sometimes you have to take him. Next year TE could be a huge need and if you took Dallas, that need is eliminated.

It's worth mentioning too that Clay is one more knee injury away from retirement and he's always nicked up as it is. If he's out, O'Leary can't handle it all himself. His ceiling is a #2 TE in my opinion. Dallas Goedert would give us a versatile TE for the future on a cheap contract as well. Having a rookie QB grow with a young TE is a major plus too. 

I agree with you. If Goedert is the BPA by a wide margin then you have to select him. We have a lot of needs and we're likely not going to be able to fill them all this year. It will likely take another year or two for McBeane to have their roster in place. We will have a lot of cap room and another draft next year to start filling out our roster and add depth.

4 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

OL - Had has take Ragnow that could play any interior position
Speedy WR - had us draft Miller
D-line : had us draft Thomas and there are guys like Lewis and Washington that the staff probably like more than fans.
LB - had us draft Leonard and Mata'afa. 

I'll also say this, the best teams are often the ones who draft BPA as best as possible. If you start drafting for just a need you end up reaching and missing out on great prospects. And Goedert being 3rd string is laughable. He'd start day 1 and would likely be the best or 2nd best receiving threat we have.

3 hours ago, NickChowaniec said:

It's worth mentioning too that Clay is one more knee injury away from retirement and he's always nicked up as it is. If he's out, O'Leary can't handle it all himself

This is really important and the basis of my thinking.

Most fans overvalue Clay and keep hanging onto the idea that he'll be a top TE. He very likely never is. O'Leary wouldn't be the number 2 on a majority of teams IMO. Good Buffalo type player and a guy who can stick in the league, but hardly a reason not to draft a potential all-pro TE.

Archived