2018 Patriots Mock Draft

dhunt2402

ROUND 1

**TRADE** Patriots send the 23rd overall pick, 2019 3rd round pick, and OG Shaq Mason to San Francisco for the 9th overall pick
Coming full circle on the Jimmy G trade, the Niners beef up their interior OL and pick up a Day 2 pick, while the Patriots move into position to solidify their future. Mason enters the last year of his rookie contract as one of the premier young guards in the league, but the inconsistencies in his game (look no further than his total inability to deal with Brandon Graham rushing from the inside in the Super Bowl) give the Pats pause when considering whether to sign him long-term. Much like they did with Brandin Cooks, they see the value in cashing in a year early with Mason. Trade values him at about a high 2nd round pick, which is about right, and with multiple high comp picks expected for 2019 the 3rd rounder on top is very doable. 

1(9): Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
873071426.jpg.0.jpg

The best quarterback in the draft slips, thanks to the worst teams in the NFL living up to their awful records. Darnold, Mayfield, and Allen are off the board in the top 5, and from there the Patriots start to really weigh their interest in moving up. By the time pick 9 rolls around, they are ready to jump the Bills and Dolphins to snag Rosen. Where teams are scared off by his off field "concerns", don't make me laugh, the Patriots focus on his attributes on the field and see a future star. Touch, timing, a great deep ball, rapidly improving pocket presence, and the success he had at UCLA despite 3 different offensive coordinators. The 5th year option for first round picks surely covers the end of the TB12 era, which will hopefully lead Tom to be a little nicer to his future successor than he reportedly was to Jimmy. Really the closest player I've seen to Aaron Rodgers, and to put him in a similar situation to Rodgers when he entered the league will only help his development in preparation for taking the reigns. 

**TRADE** Patriots send 1(31) to Oakland for 2(41) and 3(75)

ROUND 2

2(41): Justin Reid, S, Stanford
DAJwwUKUwAAECCP.jpg

Stanford is the new Rutgers. Reid has the ability to be everything they so desperately want Jordan Richards to be. A safety with great size, speed, and instincts, plus by all accounts a high quality character guy. I think this pick might ultimately come down to Reid or Ronnie Harrison, and while both are athletic as hell I think Reid plays a more cerebral game that will better fit a Belichick defense, especially as a bigger safety lined up all over the field.

2(43): Will Hernandez, OG, UTEP
hqdefault.jpg

Just as quickly as the Patriots created a hole at right guard, they fill it (and boy do they). Hernandez is a big boy at 6'2 340, and there's plenty of power there to be sure, but he's incredibly light on his feet and surprisingly fast for a man his size (5.15 40 at the Combine). Slips out of Round 1 due to concerns over arm length, but at almost an inch longer than Shaq Mason's I don't think that will stop the Patriots from taking a plug and play starter here. I think the internal question here is whether to draft a guard or tackle here, but I think the team saw enough from Waddle to see if he can hold down the starting LT job, and isn't quite ready to write off Antonio Garcia's potential future by taking another left tackle high in the draft.

2(63): Anthony Miller, WR, Memphis
anthony-miller.jpg
What a story. Walked on at Memphis and didn't play a snap for two seasons, earned his spot by 2015 and absolutely exploded his junior and senior seasons, even as Memphis lost a 1st round QB to the draft, checking in with a combined 200 receptions for over 2800 yards and 31 TDs. A lack of size at at 5'11 190 hasn't stopped him from physically dominating corners at the line of scrimmage or beating them routinely for contested balls in the end zone. Definitely an Antonio Brown *type* of player, obviously tough to compare anyone to the most talented player in the league at their position, but from the refined route running to the spectacular catches to playing every snap with a chip on his shoulder it's tough to ignore. 

ROUND 3

3(75): Darius Leonard, LB, South Carolina State
Screen_Shot_2018_04_17_at_10.47.21_AM.0.

The kind of off the ball linebacker that this team desperately needed down the stretch last season, Leonard is a 2 time defensive player of the year in the MEAC, but brings an NFL ready skill set to the table. Showed off excellent coverage skills at the Senior Bowl and showed plenty of ability as a pass rusher too, racking up 8.5 sacks last season. 3 down potential and the type of leader that would fit in perfectly in New England.

3(96): Tarvarus McFadden, CB, Florida State

Tarvarus-McFadden.jpg

Round 3 has typically been the round where the Patriots will take risks, and McFadden is a guy by all rights should be long gone by pick 95. 8 INTs in 2016 was followed up by a whopping zero in 2017, but he was the same long, physical corner who excels in press-man coverage that he was his sophomore season. A disappointing 4.67 40 at the combine further drives his stock down, but at the end of the third round the tools are too good to ignore. Plus, with Gilmore, Rowe, McCourty #2, and the two Jones already on the roster there's no need to throw him into the mix before he's ready. 

ROUND 6

6(198): PJ Hall, DT, Sam Houston State
PJ-Hall.jpg

A small school guy, undersized (6'0 310), but one thing that is sure to catch Bill Belichick's eye is 16 career blocked kicks!! To say nothing of the 40+ career sacks, and the startlingly explosive numbers he put up at his Pro Day following a combine snub (4.73 40, 9'8" broad jump, and 38" vertical). His play on tape is reminiscent of Grady Jarrett, a guy who fell to the 5th round from a much bigger school in Clemson and went on to give the Patriots absolute fits on the biggest stage in football. Definitely worth a flier on Day 3.

6(210): Ade Aruna, DE, Tulane
gettyimages-849059958.jpg

Raw, but intriguing athlete with the measurables the Patriots look for in an edge player (6'5, 260, 4.60 40 time). A guy who had a late start in organized football, having grown up in Nigeria he first played the game only 5 years ago. Aruna will benefit greatly from NFL coaching to perfect his technique, and while lack of production against small school opponents will likely keep him from going earlier, his raw athleticism (38.5" vertical, 10'8" broad jump) is tantalizing, and well worth a flier on Day 3.

ROUND 7

7(219): Martez Carter, RB, Grambling State
Martez+Carter+Grambling+v+California+VfB

A pick that will evoke memories of Dion Lewis, but with a nastier more physical edge to him. "Mr. Excitement" is a bowling ball of a running back at 5'7 205, and while he's not as shifty as Dirty, he proved exceedingly difficult to bring down at Grambling State and a real weapon in space in the passing game, bringing in 33 receptions for 449 yards last season. Carter is also an accomplished kick and punt returner, another well-established avenue to playing time with the Patriots.

I would LOVE this draft.

-Couldn't agree more on Rosen. I don't see the Patriots trading up in to the top-ten, but if there's one guy I'd want them to do it for, it'd be Rosen. He's a special talent. It's ridiculous the lengths the media has reached to discredit him. Bottom line, the kid is an outstanding football player. Really think he ends up the best QB in this class.

-Anthony Miller is a stud. I'd be ecstatic if the Patriots landed him in the second round. He's probably my second favorite WR for the Patriots besides Kirk. Side note, my personal three favorites are as follows: Kirk, Miller, Pettis.

Nice work man.

Like mentioned, I'm not really sure any of the first 4 guys are there where you have us selecting them. It would be godsend if things fell like that with all intents and purposes.

Anthony Miller is intriguing. Funny, I also saw the Antonio Brown comparisons, but I also saw Josh Boyce as well. He's really interesting in that regard...

I'd hate to see Mason go , but I really like Garcia. Out of the two Cali QB, I've always liked Rosen more (though I know next to nothing about scouting QBs, so I only rely on gut feeling there), and since my favourite, Mayfield, is not there anymore, I'd be content with the team drafting him.

Aruna and Hall are physically very intriguing, as you said. I haven't followed Hall, but those jumping numbers at his weight are insane, as is his production. Love Reid and the depth your draft gave to the defense. I wouldn't have minded a mid-late round T though, maybe in place of McFadden.

3 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

mmm yes I love these. You can really get screwed out of a position. IE I didnt take a QB at 23 and ended up with this:

23: R1P23
LB LEIGHTON VANDER ESCH
BOISE STATE
31: R1P31

WR D.J. MOORE
MARYLAND
43: R2P11

DL HARRISON PHILLIPS
STANFORD
63: R2P31

EDGE LORENZO CARTER
GEORGIA