Predict The Pick v.2 - 17 - Chargers

Texas_OutLaw7

Who should the Chargers Draft with the 17th overall pick?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who should the Chargers Draft with the 17th overall pick?

• Mason Rudolph - QB - Oklahoma State
    • Derrius Guice - RB - LSU
    • Ronald Jones II - RB - USC
    • DJ Moore - WR - Maryland
    • Mike McGlinchey - OL - Notre Dame
    • Kolton Miller - OL - UCLA
    • Isaiah Wynn - OL - Georgia
    • Connor Williams - OL - Texas
    • Will Hernandez - OL - Texas El-Paso
    • James Daniels - C - Iowa
    • Taven Bryan - DT - Florida
    • Maurice Hurst - DT - Michigan
    • Da’Ron Payne - DT - Alabama
    • Marcus Davenport - EDGE - UTSA
    • Leighton Vander Esch - LB - Boise State
    • Rashaan Evans - LB - Alabama
    • Jaire Alexander - CB - Louisville
    • Josh Jackson - CB - Iowa
    • Mike Hughes - CB - Central Florida
    • Other (Please explain)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/20/2018 at 11:52 PM

This is the second version of this we will be doing now that must of the Free Agency Dust has settled. Like before, here are the rules:

• I will invite some posters to help sway the vote. 
  • In the event of a tie, posts will help decide.
  • Runoffs are solely at my discretion.
  • Votes will last for roughly 24 hours (longer for weekend).
  • No. Trades. You stay at this pick.

Our Draft So Far...

1. Cleveland Browns - Sam Darnold - QB - USC
  2. New York Giants - Saquon Barkley - RB - Penn State
  3. New York Jets - Josh Rosen - QB - UCLA
  4. Cleveland Browns - Bradley Chubb - EDGE - NC State
  5. Denver Broncos - Quenton Nelson - OL - Notre Dame
  6. Indianapolis Colts - Minkah Fitzpatrick - DB - Alabama
  7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Derwin James - Safety - Florida State
  8. Chicago Bears - Tremaine Edmunds - LB - Virginia Tech
  9. San Francisco 49ers - Denzel Ward - CB - Ohio State
  10. Oakland Raiders - Roquan Smith - LB - Georgia
  11. Miami Dolphins - Baker Mayfield - QB - Oklahoma
  12. Buffalo Bills - Josh Allen - QB - Wyoming
  13. Washington Redskins - Vita Vea - DT - Washington
  14. Green Bay Packers - Harold Landry - EDGE - Boston College
  15. Arizona Cardinals - Lamar Jackson - QB - Louisville
  16. Baltimore Ravens - Calvin Ridley - WR - Alabama
  17. Los Angeles Chargers
  18. Seattle Seahawks
  19. Dallas Cowboys

1 hour ago, WizardHawk said:

Chargers have revamped interior OL, now time to focus some attention to OT with McGlinchey. 

Honest question: How many people who are voting for an OT here actually watched Okung and Barksdale play more than 1 game last year?

If we're "predicting the pick," I think it's really safe to say this pick won't be an OT or an OL... or any offensive player.  Telesco is pretty telegraphic when it comes to his 1st round pick - he just sometimes (last year in particular) can be more conceptual than literal.  Identify whatever the biggest weakness of the previous season's team was (ok... leaving kicker out in the case of 2017), double-check to make sure he didn't do anything in free agency to address needs that strengthen that weakness, and PRESTO!  You've got where Tom Telesco is going to go with his 1st round pick.  As I stated before though, it may not be specifically a positional need or weakness, rather it could be, as it was in 2017, a conceptual one: "Improving red-zone effectiveness" (2017) or in the case of this year "shoring up the run defense."

Now, what specifically shores up the run defense?  LB's and DT's generally.  It's highly unlikely they're going to draft a UT/3-Tech early - they had all the ammo they need to cut Corey Liuget following his getting popped for PED's and they chose to use it as a tool to get him to take a pay-cut.  Moreover, Darius Philon was already cutting a significant share (and making effective contribution) into Liuget's snaps last season and is the presumptive starter in Liuget's stead while CL rides out his suspension.  So that leaves NT where we're talking DT's and we all know that you don't take an NT in the 1st round unless he's got 3-down ability and a pretty substantial ceiling. 'Is that Da'Ron Payne?' becomes the operative question. So that tends to leave LB.

From there, Telesco gets even further predictable.  His 1st round picks have pretty much always been multi-year starters on winning programs in a major conference.  As much as someone like Leighton VanderEsch projects as a really great fit, I find it hard to believe that Telesco's going to have him higher on his board than Rashaan Evans.  I really don't care for the idea of using a 1st round pick on a SAM LB, but then I also wasn't a huge fan of using the #7 overall on a #3 WR (which is really the #4 or #5 considering how often Rivers throws to the TE and RB).

Who I would take here (LVE or Hurst) aren't who I believe Telesco would.  So with the notion that w'e're supposed to be predicting the pick, I voted Evans.

2 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Honest question: How many people who are voting for an OT here actually watched Okung and Barksdale play more than 1 game last year?

If we're "predicting the pick," I think it's really safe to say this pick won't be an OT or an OL... or any offensive player.  Telesco is pretty telegraphic when it comes to his 1st round pick - he just sometimes (last year in particular) can be more conceptual than literal.  Identify whatever the biggest weakness of the previous season's team was (ok... leaving kicker out in the case of 2017), double-check to make sure he didn't do anything in free agency to address needs that strengthen that weakness, and PRESTO!  You've got where Tom Telesco is going to go with his 1st round pick.  As I stated before though, it may not be specifically a positional need or weakness, rather it could be, as it was in 2017, a conceptual one: "Improving red-zone effectiveness" (2017) or in the case of this year "shoring up the run defense."

Now, what specifically shores up the run defense?  LB's and DT's generally.  It's highly unlikely they're going to draft a UT/3-Tech early - they had all the ammo they need to cut Corey Liuget following his getting popped for PED's and they chose to use it as a tool to get him to take a pay-cut.  Moreover, Darius Philon was already cutting a significant share (and making effective contribution) into Liuget's snaps last season and is the presumptive starter in Liuget's stead while CL rides out his suspension.  So that leaves NT where we're talking DT's and we all know that you don't take an NT in the 1st round unless he's got 3-down ability and a pretty substantial ceiling. 'Is that Da'Ron Payne?' becomes the operative question. So that tends to leave LB.

From there, Telesco gets even further predictable.  His 1st round picks have pretty much always been multi-year starters on winning programs in a major conference.  As much as someone like Leighton VanderEsch projects as a really great fit, I find it hard to believe that Telesco's going to have him higher on his board than Rashaan Evans.  I really don't care for the idea of using a 1st round pick on a SAM LB, but then I also wasn't a huge fan of using the #7 overall on a #3 WR (which is really the #4 or #5 considering how often Rivers throws to the TE and RB).

Who I would take here (LVE or Hurst) aren't who I believe Telesco would.  So with the notion that w'e're supposed to be predicting the pick, I voted Evans.

This is a fascinating perspective. Ir would honestly change my vote. I'll flip my vote to Evans.

Quick question. If Rosen or Jackson are there - do you think LA drafts either of them? Rosen being the heir to Rivens in LA I think would be fantastic.

9 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Okung was solid to above average. Barksdale, when he wasn't injured, was average to below average. I don't think he offered anything in run blocking or even pass blocking. Rivers' quick release made a lot of people look better than they were. I went primarily with OT, because while I understand your logic and totally can see TT going that route as well, I ultimately feel that OT is a bigger need simply because Barksdale isn't very good and Okung is older. We need someone who can play RT immediately and then switch over to LT when Okung is no longer a viable option (especially given his injury history).

P.S. I'm glad that you saw the MW pick coming. I certainly didn't. Same thing with the Bosa pick, who I felt would thrive in a 43 defense versus a 34. Had us picking Buckner or Tunsil that year.

Just now, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

This is a fascinating perspective. Ir would honestly change my vote. I'll flip my vote to Evans.

Quick question. If Rosen or Jackson are there - do you think LA drafts either of them? Rosen being the heir to Rivens in LA I think would be fantastic.

Rosen I think they'd seriously question it - though I don't really believe that he's the type of QB that Whisenhunt or Lynn would prefer, I think that may be in instance where John Spanos (Dean's son and the President of Player Personnel) puts his foot down and demands the player who would be highly marketable in the area.

Jackson is the kind of QB both Lynn and Whisenhunt would prefer, but I think Telesco is more likely to play wait-and-see if he falls to the 2nd and then would strongly consider trading up to go get him (the Chargers were, evidently unknown to a lot of folks, quite high on DeShaun Watson last year).

1 minute ago, Xenos said:

Okung was solid to above average. Barksdale, when he wasn't injured, was average to below average. I don't think he offered anything in run blocking or even pass blocking. Rivers' quick release made a lot of people look better than they were. I went primarily with OT, because while I understand your logic and totally can see TT going that route as well, I ultimately feel that OT is a bigger need simply because Barksdale isn't very good and Okung is older. We need someone who can play RT immediately and then switch over to LT when Okung is no longer a viable option (especially given his injury history).

You're selling Barksdale short.  He wasn't outstanding, but he wasn't below average either; I think a lot of people majorly misconstrue Barksdale's 2016 campaign with DJ Fluker and the ever changing rotation of RG's playing next to him, with his 2017 campaign.  And there's still the, call it what it is as far as his impact is concerned, total unknown of Forrest Lamp.  We've only seen limited reps from training camp (no actual in-game snaps) where the team moved him around a decent amount; the majority of his snaps came at RG, but with Slauson and Pulley in tow at that point, he was being plugged where he could most immediately contribute.

McGlinchey is a  good run-blocker and a sub-par pass-blocker.  He gets moved way too easily by anyone with any kind of decent power-move or powerful handwork.  His tape is so parabolic it honestly scares the crap out of me, he has equal amount of times he looks outstanding as he does times he looks like complete trash.

Archived