Players that will Shoot Up/Down in Draft

ckoz24

9 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

- I've always been on board with O'Neill, if his only flaw is that he is raw, that IMO is a good thing. A good OL coach can whip that in shape in no time 

- Also with Brown, I am very interested to see if the combine wasn't a personal wake up call for him. Its been about a month and a half from the combine, I would like to see the progress if he did get himself together. The perception is pretty low on him, but he could go from top OT prospect to goat and can turn into a steal is teams are scared off from him. He still has a lot of really nice tools to make him a long time starter

As for Brown, I have been at this being a draftnik for over 65 years and during that time, prospects who show up for a job interview which is what the Combine is, totally out of shape, rarely ever see the light and suddenly take their profession seriously. They are far more likely to be out of the league in 2 or 3 years after a few teams try to get him to change without any success.

O'Neil is an interesting prospect, but he has a ways to go before he can be a starter in the NFL. He needs to work on his knee bend and build up his overall strength which is simply not up to NFL standards, before any team will trust him to start. However, in 2 years, he could develop into a very solid NFL LT if he puts the work in!

5 hours ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Looking at the McCaffery/William/Ross run last year and FA this year, the NFL seems to be a be in a bit of a WR bubble so I wouldn't be surprised if more WRs/TEs are drafted higher than we are projecting (not that its a good idea).

There may be a lot drafted, but few of them are going round 1.

9 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

As for Brown, I have been at this being a draftnik for over 65 years and during that time, prospects who show up for a job interview which is what the Combine is, totally out of shape, rarely ever see the light and suddenly take their profession seriously. They are far more likely to be out of the league in 2 or 3 years after a few teams try to get him to change without any success.

True, but in the same breath, it can. You nor I know what went on in his head, what life occurrences change people or what motivates him or any prospect. I don't care about likeliness, there is a possibility it can, everyone always has the ability to change.

22 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

Opposite take; Griffin is going Top 100.

The most infectious personality in this Draft isn't going to be invited to Dallas for the event so the NFL can have him sit around in shame for falling to day three. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes 2nd round at this rate.

I disagree. The cameras love showing a guy that is still sitting and waiting for his name to be called

Surprise Risers

1. Justin Watson, WR, UPenn: gets selected in the late 3rd round/mid 4th. He checks all the boxes and is going to impress teams with his interview. I see his “early” selection surprising many analysts that have him as a 5th/6th round guy.

2. Shaqueem Griffin, LB, UCF: Many agree that it’s very hard to project Griffin to the next level at this point. But the draft day invite makes him a surefire day 2 pick. What’s more his athleticism, playmaking ability, and some team looking to boost their PR image could easily have him go as early as mid to late 2nd round. Thus, in the end, I think that’s where we see him go.

Surprise Fallers

1. Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama: It’s not that I dislike him, but I think not answering the speed question will cause him to fall. On a talented defense like Alabama there’s always players whose athletic deficiencies are hidden (Courtney Upshaw for example), could he be one of them? Not saying he is, but with minimal separation from other LB talents, and with a likely run of offensive skill players at the top of the second round, I can see Evans going from potential top 20 pick to falling outside of the top 50.

2. Martinas Rankin, OL, Miss St: I love Rankin on tape, but he’s a tweener and this class has some talented interior players. Between the lack of D1 starter experience, the lack of performance testing, and some of the interview snippets I’ve heard from him where it makes me somewhat question his passion with football; and for a guy that once seemed to be a top 50 player could fall to day 3 of the draft.

On 4/19/2018 at 7:41 PM, TheVillain112 said:

Hurst I think will drop.  I have to admit I'm not in love with his on the field work as much as others combined with the medical, I think he could drop to early to mid 2nd round...

Just quoting myself to say I’m wrong about Hurst. Went back to watch him again because too many people I follow are big on him...and they are right. Dude is going to be a problem in the NFL. DT1...

On 4/20/2018 at 3:32 PM, jebrick said:

I predict Rasheed Evans will fall into the 2nd round.  Serious groin injury(s).  Makes plays except when he must be more mobile. Crappy workout. Excuses.

I'd love to see him go to the Patriots at 43 in that scenario or even 63 if he would last until then.

Although still unlikely:

23. Mason Rudolph

31. Frank Ragnow

43. Kerryon Johnson

63. Rashaan Evans

13 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

1. Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama: It’s not that I dislike him, but I think not answering the speed question will cause him to fall. On a talented defense like Alabama there’s always players whose athletic deficiencies are hidden (Courtney Upshaw for example), could he be one of them? Not saying he is, but with minimal separation from other LB talents, and with a likely run of offensive skill players at the top of the second round, I can see Evans going from potential top 20 pick to falling outside of the top 50.

I'm really curious who questions his athleticism....?  Guy has no problem with sideline to sideline speed.  Him not proving that at the combine or at his pro day shouldn't really downgrade his draft status.... His speed is the last thing I'm worried about, in fact, his sideline to sideline speed may be the best part of his game along with his physicality.  Guys who are long, can run, and love to hit go high in the draft, plain and simple.  You are reading WAY too far into this if you think teams are all of a sudden worried about his speed because he didn't run a 40, especially after he tested very solidly in the agility drills.

2 hours ago, Duffman57 said:

1. I'm really curious who questions his athleticism....?  Guy has no problem with sideline to sideline speed. 2. Him not proving that at the combine or at his pro day shouldn't really downgrade his draft status.... His speed is the last thing I'm worried about, in fact, his sideline to sideline speed may be the best part of his game along with his physicality. 3.Guys who are long, can run, and love to hit go high in the draft, plain and simple. 4. You are reading WAY too far into this if you think teams are all of a sudden worried about his speed because he didn't run a 40, 5.especially after he tested very solidly in the agility drills.

1. Read it on multiple websites that some teams were very upset that he didn’t run the forty at his second Pro day.

2. Players have been downgraded for less, especially when there are enough players closely rated to each other such as every prospect from 20-50 in this draft class. Should a team pass up a dominant interior OL or OT that did answer all their questions/concerns just because Evans is projected to go higher? That question is rhetorical.

3. I agree. But high is also a relative term. If he’s projected as a surefire 1st round pick and falls to the Ravens at pick 52, that’s still quite high, but compared to pick 22, not quite high enough.

4. Which is the point of this thread. To read too far into things to make predictions about what “could” happen.

5. Evans also tested poorly in his jumping drills. But I agree, he did test very well in his agility drills. But LVE tested better and is 20 lbs heavier. Evans is the better player at this point, but enough people are in love with LVE’s potential in a similar fashion to people being in love with Edmunds potential over Smith.

Shaquem Griffin tested out of this world with a similar frame and no one really knows where he could fit or just how high he might go, thus he could potentially leapfrog Evans, perhaps into the first round. I could easily see the PR favorite a team might be that takes him that high. I could see a team like NE or the Steelers falling in love with his skill set and also having the balls to make him their pick that high in the draft, especially NE considering all of their picks in the top of the draft.

Malik Jefferson tested better as well and all it takes is for some NFL team to believe they can unlock his “potential” to take him over a more proven commodity like Evans.

Same with other defensive players with potential such as Lorenzo Carter or a DT that falls. Throw in the tight end class and receiver class that will likely see a run at the top of the second round and if Evans makes it pass round one, it’s possible for him to slide a little.

6. I think you’re taking this a little too seriously. It almost seems as if you think I dislike Evans, I don’t. I like every player that I listed but could I see scenarios where Rankin and Evans fall, sure. Just like I believe Lamar Jackson is a top 5 talent in this draft, yet I can see scenarios where he falls outside the first round.

On 4/21/2018 at 9:11 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

True, but in the same breath, it can. You nor I know what went on in his head, what life occurrences change people or what motivates him or any prospect. I don't care about likeliness, there is a possibility it can, everyone always has the ability to change.

"a possibility" is so vague it's meaningless.  There's a possibility I might win the lotto too, but I'm not exactly holding my breath.  I wouldn't touch the guy.

I would have said Key, but he has already fallen from what I can tell...earlier this year he was projected as a high high pick. 

For all of the QB talk and hype, I would not be surprised to see either of the Josh QBs fall somewhat, and I don't think anyone makes a move to trade up for any QB early.  I think after the first 2 or 3 RBs, maybe even just the first one, RBs may fall because it's such a deep class.

3 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

1. Read it on multiple websites that some teams were very upset that he didn’t run the forty at his second Pro day.

2. Players have been downgraded for less, especially when there are enough players closely rated to each other such as every prospect from 20-50 in this draft class. Should a team pass up a dominant interior OL or OT that did answer all their questions/concerns just because Evans is projected to go higher? That question is rhetorical.

3. I agree. But high is also a relative term. If he’s projected as a surefire 1st round pick and falls to the Ravens at pick 52, that’s still quite high, but compared to pick 22, not quite high enough.

4. Which is the point of this thread. To read too far into things to make predictions about what “could” happen.

5. Evans also tested poorly in his jumping drills. But I agree, he did test very well in his agility drills. But LVE tested better and is 20 lbs heavier. Malik Jefferson tested better as well and all it takes is for some NFL team to believe they can unlock his “potential” to take him over a more proven commodity like Evans. Same with other defensive players with potential such as Lorenzo Carter or a DT that falls. Throw in the tight end class and receiver class that will likely see a run at the top of the second round and if Evans makes it pass round one, it’s possible for him to slide a little.

I think you’re taking this a little too seriously. It almost seems as if you think I dislike Evans, I don’t. I like every player that I listed but could I see scenarios where Rankin and Evans fall, sure. Just like I believe Lamar Jackson is a top 5 talent in this draft, yet I can see scenarios where he falls outside the first round.

It was mostly the "not answering the speed question" part that got me.  It seemed as though you were talking about him as if it was a problem with his game and needed to be tested.  I'm not sure what the point of the rhetorical question in the 2nd point has anything to do with this...lol.  I just can't see a guy like him falling out of the 1st, especially with how needy teams are with LB's late in the round.

I mean you could make the same argument for Baker, and Genard Avery and Oren Burks and etc etc.  The fact is that none of these guys have the production and versatility that Evans has in terms of what they've been able to do on the field.  I just don't see nfl teams taking a guy over Evans just because he didn't choose to run, when on film, 1) he's clearly athletic enough, and 2) the level of play is pretty greatly different.  Evans is a guy that I just can't see falling out of the first is all.  I think LVE is more likely to go in the mid/late 2nd, or Jefferson get out of the 2nd than Evans is to get out of the first.  LB is one of the positions (unless you're using that player as a pass rusher) that NFL guys still don't value athleticism nearly as much as the media wants them to.  Athletes at LB tend to go a lot later than most media sites believe they will.

3 minutes ago, Duffman57 said:

It was mostly the "not answering the speed question" part that got me.  It seemed as though you were talking about him as if it was a problem with his game and needed to be tested.  I'm not sure what the point of the rhetorical question in the 2nd point has anything to do with this...lol.  I just can't see a guy like him falling out of the 1st, especially with how needy teams are with LB's late in the round.

I mean you could make the same argument for Baker, and Genard Avery and Oren Burks and etc etc.  The fact is that none of these guys have the production and versatility that Evans has in terms of what they've been able to do on the field.  I just don't see nfl teams taking a guy over Evans just because he didn't choose to run, when on film, 1) he's clearly athletic enough, and 2) the level of play is pretty greatly different.  Evans is a guy that I just can't see falling out of the first is all.  I think LVE is more likely to go in the mid/late 2nd, or Jefferson get out of the 2nd than Evans is to get out of the first.  LB is one of the positions (unless you're using that player as a pass rusher) that NFL guys still don't value athleticism nearly as much as the media wants them to.  Athletes at LB tend to go a lot later than most media sites believe they will.

The rhetorical question was simply stating that if a team needs both a linebacker and an OT/IOL, if they feel more confident with Connor Williams, Kolton Miller, or Isaiah Wynn over Evans than there is nothing stopping them from taking another player.

I was simply stating the question as a food for thought rather than a legitimate question that I wanted to be answered.

In terms of your response, I don’t disagree. I like Evans a lot. But I do also like Griffin, perhaps one team that needs a linebacker goes with Griffin, another goes with Wynn, and another decides to go with Carter. Evans falls out of round one.

And we all know teams at the top of the draft usually remain there because they foresake better players for “potential” guys more often than not. So could I see a front office with a linebacker need going with Jefferson over Evans? I could see it, similar such instances have happened before. We’ve also seen plenty of teams acting crazy about the WR/TE positions. Could a team with a minimal need in a LBer pass up Evans for a Mike Gesicki, Christian Kirk, or Hayden Hurst?

Should he fall? Probably not. But could he or LVE fall that far? I could see it. Both for different reasons. If the neck concern is as serious to LVE as I’ve been hearing lately, then he probably falls instead of Evans, but for all we know that could be smoke a team is creating to get him to fall. All things considered equal, LVE has as much potential as any LBer in this draft and ultimately I think he goes higher than Evans because of it, even if Evans is the better player right now IMO.

Archived