Hunter is becoming the Hunted (Upd 3/2024: Signed with his hometown Texans)

swede700

3 hours ago, TENINCH said:

Griffen has a nice contact but if we're having to choose which one we pay I'm trading or cutting Griffen. I don't want to see the Vikings lose Hunter.

Until Hunter shows he is actually the best pass rusher and not a complimentary one he is not remotely as valuable as Griffen and should not be paid like an elite player who could fall off unless he has a lower snap count or an elite DE drawing the extra attention.

2 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Hunter is a must retain.

I would still like to get Barr extended to reduce his cap hit, than all attention to Hunter. Diggs, while very good, was lower on my list.

I doubt very much that the agent of a three time pro bowl LB is going to agree with that reduction as I assume that still matters in figuring out Barr's contract.

12 minutes ago, solidvikingfan said:

Until Hunter shows he is actually the best pass rusher and not a complimentary one he is not remotely as valuable as Griffen and should not be paid like an elite player who could fall off unless he has a lower snap count or an elite DE drawing the extra attention.

Griffen's best season before taking over for Jared Allen was 8 sacks in a part time role.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, solidvikingfan said:

I doubt very much that the agent of a three time pro bowl LB is going to agree with that reduction as I assume that still matters in figuring out Barr's contract.

We're not talking about a reduce, else be cut situation. We're talking about reducing cap hit to lock in gaureented money for multiple years (and a gaureented cheque for that agent now)

• Like 1

On 4/22/2018 at 10:30 AM, Kparty15 said:

$15M is so much money!  I was expecting him to get closer to $13M.  It will be interesting to see how our front office works these contracts.

I'm not surprised at all.  JJ Watt is making $16.7M on average ($15M cap number the next 2 years), so $15M for Hunter is probably right around the number with the expected cap increases.  

22 hours ago, solidvikingfan said:

It doesn't work that way.  Griffen was only a complementary player himself when he got his initial extension.  It's based on future expected production, not necessarily current production.  He doesn't have to show that he's the best pass rusher, he just has to show that he can be trusted enough to be expected to get there.  

Edited by disaacs
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

He, along with the entire D, is going to be fun to watch this year. That play (3rd in tweet) he had stretching out the run was beautiful.

Agreed. I often wonder about the offense, the o-line specifically, how Cousins will fit, etc. then I remember we have one hell of a defense. The wonder and worry about the offense ceases. It’s gonna be very difficult for opponents score more than 17 points against this ‘D’...gonna be fun to watch.

• Like 2

Danielle Hunter has only played 51 snaps in preseason for the Minnesota Vikings, but he’s been a major disrupter. According to Pro Football Focus, he has one sack, one hurry, a batted pass and two run stuffs. And to Vikings fans watching on TV, he’s noticeably blown up opposing tackles a number of times. On Tuesday, George Edwards was asked about Hunter’s strong preseason and training camp. The Vikings’ defensive coordinator said he’s seen growth in the soon-to-be 24-year-old.

Edwards:  “I really think he has made a big jump. Feeling comfortable systematically as well as technique and fundamental wise of what we’re asking him to do. He’s not thinking nearly as much. You can really see his athleticism as we go through the preseason, he’s really gotten off of the ball and effected the quarterback, getting him off of the spot, those kind of things, but he’s also very good versus the run.” 

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/08/vikings-dc-danielle-hunter-made-big-jump/

• 1 month later...

Hunter grew up running track with Eli Hall, who went on to become one of the best collegiate sprinters in the country at the University of Houston. Hall is an Olympic hopeful in the 200-meter dash.

“And you know what?” said Johnson. “When they ran together, there wasn’t much separation between the two.”

http://www.startribune.com/this-football-thing-seems-to-be-working-out-for-vikings-defensive-end-danielle-hunter/497463991/

The entire profile linked above is a great read.