Hunter is becoming the Hunted (Upd 3/2024: Signed with his hometown Texans)

swede700

Despite leading the league in sacks, as a team, we are near the bottom for forced fumbles. Of the forced fumbles I can't imagine all 8 have been on the opposing QB either. Seems the entire team could "attack" the ball better when sacking the QB. The trade-off is you risk losing the sack.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/defense/sort/fumblesForced/position/defense/order/false

Days after being selected to his first Pro Bowl on the merits of a season that’s produced 14 1/2 sacks so far, Vikings defensive end Danielle Hunter can put another $500,000 in his pocket if he so much as splits a sack this weekend on the quarterback he brought down 3 1/2 times last month.

Hunter, who is tied with Von Miller and J.J. Watt for second in the league with 14 1/2 sacks, has already triggered a $500,000 escalator clause in his 2019 contract by eclipsing 13 sacks for the season. He’d bump the escalator to $1 million if he reaches 15 sacks, increasing his base salary to $10.4 million and his salary cap number to $14 million in 2019.

http://www.startribune.com/for-danielle-hunter-a-half-sack-on-sunday-is-worth-a-half-million-from-vikings/503320882/

From his NFL.com draft profile:

The concern with Hunter is that his pass-rush instincts are marginal and he hasn't learned to use his physical advantages to rush the quarterback more consistently. Hunter's floor is high thanks to his overwhelming physical traits and motor, but his ceiling will only go as high as the level of coaching he is able to incorporate.

Edited by Klomp

1 hour ago, Klomp said:

From his NFL.com draft profile:

The concern with Hunter is that his pass-rush instincts are marginal and he hasn't learned to use his physical advantages to rush the quarterback more consistently. Hunter's floor is high thanks to his overwhelming physical traits and motor, but his ceiling will only go as high as the level of coaching he is able to incorporate.

He's got a ways to go in terms of developing pass rush moves. Fortunately he's still so young.

I've been praising him (because I'm a homer) since the end of his part time 12 sack season. I did compare him to Mack and said he'd be better because was so young. Obviously may have been right had Mack stayed with Oakland. He's one of the elite pass rushers in the NFL now and he's great against the run. They've done a great job getting him to play to his potential so far.

• 4 years later...

According to Darren Wolfson (SKOR North, KSTP) on the Mackey & Judd Podcast Thursday, it sounds like Hunter will get the new deal he is coveting. In the same breath, Doogie reiterates that Dalvin Cook is as good as gone. He declares Za’Darius Smith as a wildcard.

“I still think the Vikings end up ultimately giving Danielle some sort of raise. I see Danielle Hunter here in 2023. I continue to not see Dalvin Cook here in 2023. Za’Darius Smith, I would say that’s the one where there is some uncertainty. I think the Vikings would love to find a way to have Za’Darius on this roster in 2023 so I think there are still some things to figure out on that front. But I do think Dalvin ends up elsewhere, I think Danielle Hunter is here.”

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/danielle-hunter-new-contract-expected/?fbclid=IwAR0LfheX8C0ypmWmJl5idB69-6kvAfHEaKBVpacJndREnBpHitFeAqC46SM

• Like 1

Darren Wolfson (SKOR North, KSTP) was on the Mackey & Judd Podcast where he reported that new defensive coordinator, Brian Flores, wants Hunter to stay with the Vikings. That both guys are pumped to coach/play for one another:

“I did hear that Brian Flores is really really pumped up to coach Danielle; that Danielle, it’s mutual, is pumped up to play under Brian Flores. So do the Vikings find a way to give him some sort of bump, extend him? I think that will play out come May and June, maybe into July.”

Brian Flores would not have taken the defensive coordinator job with the Minnesota Vikings unless he was guaranteed a large say in how the defense operated and what personnel would come and go during his tenure. If he wants Danielle Hunter to stick around and Hunter wants to play for him, that is a huge positive development in a reunion actually coming to fruition. Could the two sides find common ground on a contract? That is the biggest question mark because there’s no way Hunter is playing under his current deal.

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/brian-flores-danielle-hunter-vikings/

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

As I've mentioned briefly in the past, I wouldn't actually have a huge issue moving on from him, as long as it's a good deal in return.  As much as I loved him prior to his couple of injuries, I've soured on him a bit since he came back.  While he's a very good player, I just don't think he thrives standing up, and unless he goes back to having his hand in the ground on every play, I just don't think he's ever going to be as effective as he was prior to the injuries.  He was the best defensive player for the team down the stretch last year, but it still wasn't disruptive enough, at least IMO.  Under Flores that might be different, but if they were to get a significant offer, I personally wouldn't hesitate on moving him.   

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, swede700 said:

As I've mentioned briefly in the past, I wouldn't actually have a huge issue moving on from him, as long as it's a good deal in return.  As much as I loved him prior to his couple of injuries, I've soured on him a bit since he came back.  While he's a very good player, I just don't think he thrives standing up, and unless he goes back to having his hand in the ground on every play, I just don't think he's ever going to be as effective as he was prior to the injuries.  He was the best defensive player for the team down the stretch last year, but it still wasn't disruptive enough, at least IMO.  Under Flores that might be different, but if they were to get a significant offer, I personally wouldn't hesitate on moving him.   

I blame the the switch to the 3/4. The staff doesn't get what made Hunter Great coming off the LE. He could be this team's Porcher or Strahan if his strength was utilized. 

• Like 1

If they trade him now, it's just stupid. They should have torn the whole thing down this off-season then. He's our best player on defense by a significant margin. He's still on the right side of 30 and he was healthy last year. Pay him. Keep him. Let Flores figure out how to best use him. 

• Like 1