"One Week From Now" Patriots Mock Draft, Final

DoleINGout

23. Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State

Meets all of Bill Parcells criteria for drafting quarterbacks, (recently applied to Patriots draft selection of QB Jacoby Brissett in third round). Started over 30 games, started three seasons, senior, graduated, completed over 60% of passes, won at least 23 games, and 2:1 TD:INT. With every season Rudolph started, his attempts, yards, completion percentage, touchdowns, yards per attempt, and QB rating increased while throwing no more than nine interceptions in a single season, (only four in 2016). Patriots have worked out Rudolph who has prototypical size for the NFL. Greatest strength is accuracy and touch with anticipation. Noted for preparing very diligently and is considered a phenomenal team leader. Terrific person to be apart of any organization.

Other potentially available players: Rashaan Evans/Harold Landry/Mike McGlinchey/Justin Reid/Calvin Ridley

27. Justin Reid, DB, Stanford

Versatile defensive back with range to cover deep and athleticism to matchup one on one. Good instincts, consistent tackler, large frame, smart blitzer. Brother is former first round pick Eric Reid who played at LSU. Acquired via trade with New Orleans Saints for Rob Gronkowski. Saints tried signing Jimmy Graham and Austin Sefarian-Jenkins in free agency. The Saints and Sean Payton agree to the trade because Gronk fills a big need in their offense. This is viewed as the move that will make the Saints favorites for the NFC Championship. They're all in baby. Meanwhile, the Patriots get a huge boost on defense in a guy capable of playing linebacker in DIME formations and start at either safety position or nickelback.

31. Frank Ragnow, LG/OL, Arkansas

Plays all five positions along the offensive line. Primarily used as a left guard and center in college. Injured ankle at end of his senior season but participated in every drill at Arkansas Pro Day. Has been worked out by Patriots. High character guy who loves football. Current Patriots left guard Joe Thuney struggled after turning in a serviceable rookie season and start to 2017. Ragnow never allowed a sack in college from the center position according to PFF, (over 2400 snaps). Likely a late first round or early second round pick. Total Patriots move to select a guard, (a la Logan Mankins, 2005), at a time when people like I have been anticipating a quarterback like Josh Rosen or Mason Rudolph. I don't think the Patriots would make this move for any other reason than the player is one of the highest remaining on their draft board at 23.

43. Kerryon Johnson, RB, Auburn

Another player that loves the game of football. Comes from a great family growing up in Northern Alabama. Possess every intangible necessary to go along with a lot of humility despite being highly recruited and successful throughout high school and college. Athletic, productive college player at Auburn with experience as a receiver. Began starting at runningback sophomore season. Only missed game time at the end of sophomore season with an ankle sprain. Many teams have met privately with Kerryon Johnson including the Patriots. Would be asked to compete with Jeremy Hill and Mike Gilislee as a rookie right away while leading the position group in the future.

63. P.J. Hall, DT, Sam Houston State

A "late-riser" who hails from a small school where comparisons to Aaron Donald have been made. In recent weeks has either met privately or been worked out by NFL staffs with the Ravens, Bengals, Falcons, and Patriots, to name a few. Impressive production senior season with a total of fourteen, (14), blocked kicks throughout his career. Great quickness and jump off the snap. Plays with consistent leverage, hand usage to get off blocks and is stout as a run defender.

95. Dalton Schultz, TE, Stanford

Declared for the draft after his redshirt junior season to chase his childhood dream of playing in the NFL. Experienced blocker in a pro style offense at Stanford University that underutilized Schultz as a pass catcher. Protoypical size at 6'6, 245 lbs and tested relatively well at the combine. Worked out by the New England Patriots. Concerned may be abound about current tight end Rob Gronkowski's future commitment to Pats versus cost.

198. Braxton Berrios, WR, Miami

Suffered pectoral injury during bench press at NFL combine. Considered in this draft to be one of the best receivers at catching the football. Explosive off the snap at the line of scrimmage. Very similar to previous Patriots slot receivers Danny Amendola and Wes Welker. Experienced punt returner with a touchdown his senior season. Very good route runner. Julian Edelman's recovering from a torn ACL and is on the wrong side of 30 years old in a contract season. Patriots have met privately with Braxton Berrios.

210. Matthew McCrane, PK, Kansas State

One of the top rated place kickers in the draft and was worked out by the Pats. Big leg on kickoffs, seventh highest career field goal percentage in NCAA, five made fifty yard or greater field goals, freshman All-American, school record sixteen consecutive field goals made and three time All-Conference selection. Current Pariots kicker Stephen Gostkowski is already 34 years old and has lost some kick accuracy in recent seasons. Also concerning is the fact that Gostkowski's contract is up at the end of 2018. McCrane has a great chance to make any roster and would allow the Patriots to allocate more cap to other players in need of extentions.

219. Vyncint Smith, WR, Limestone

Division II invite to the South Carolina Pro Day where Bill Belichick met personally with the 6'3, 195 lbs receiver. Produced very high measurements in all drills. 4.36 forty-yard dash, 10'10 broad jump, 39.5 vertical, and 6.85 three-cone. Much like Julian Edelman who came from Kent State and delivered on his Pro Day, Smith could be drafted with the Patriots last pick this year and developed. Hudl game recordings show toughness catching the football, sure-handedness, and yards after catch ability.

Alternate Trade Scenario:

Patriots trade up to draft Josh Rosen inside the top ten, giving up pick 23, Rob Gronkowski, and a 2019 draft pick, (likely a first or second round pick).

19 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

it says potentially

The point still stands. At least one of them would probably still be there, as would other players who are probably going to be better in the NFL than Ragnow. Ragnow isn't at much of a position of need and in general I'd say there are several better interior linemen than him (Nelson, Hernandez, Wynn and maybe Daniels and Price) who wouldn't all be gone either given that IOL isn't overly prioritized in the NFL.

18 minutes ago, AlNFL19 said:

The point still stands. At least one of them would probably still be there, as would other players who are probably going to be better in the NFL than Ragnow. Ragnow isn't at much of a position of need and in general I'd say there are several better interior linemen than him (Nelson, Hernandez, Wynn and maybe Daniels and Price) who wouldn't all be gone either given that IOL isn't overly prioritized in the NFL.

Logan Mankins was considered a reach at pick 32 in 2005 when they had Joe Andruzzi. More of a second round pick projection put on Mankins. When Matt Light got hurt, Mankins stepped in and played left tackle for a while. I figure the Patriots view Ragnow as possessing the same type of attributes.

I was tempted to initially put Mason Rudolph at 23 and Ragnow at 31 as I find that scenario to make a lot of sense as well. If it helps, you could imagine them flipped but I'm sure that wouldn't appease you or a lot of others much more.

Edit: In fact, since that was and has been what I felt all along, I'm going to flip those two where they're drafted. Ragnow from 23 to 31 and Rudolph from 31 to 23.

Quenton Nelson might seem like a better pick but he won't be available to the Patriots at 23. As for Billy Price and Isaiah Wynn, both are graded out in the same range as Ragnow but each are recovering from injuries. James Daniels I am not completely sold on but the potential is there for him to be a solid player. The main difference between Ragnow and the rest of the top offensive linemen, like Daniels, is size and position flexibility. Ragnow is one of the largest interior lineman with the athleticism to play tackle if needed. Isaiah Wynn was able to do it at Georgia, (former offensive line coach at Arkansas with Ragnow), but he is at a bigger disadvantage in the NFL versus college because of his height. Some say team could consider Nelson at tackle too but he lacks the mobility and athleticism of Ragnow to make it work I think.

49 minutes ago, dhunt2402 said:

I don't think Ragnow is a 1st rounder, he'll be a nice run blocker but not sold on his ability to pass protect against the best competition.

I'm sure it will be an improvement over what Thuney provided last season. I actually think he will be fine at both in the NFL but I'll watch him again in pass pro.

I added in the inevitable Gronk trade. Could go many places but I think the Saints make sense since they’re in a win now season and a loaded NFC. I had an alternative trade scenario already included in my mock involving Gronk, but this is something I’m confident in will happen, unfortunate as it may be for fans. Welcome aboard, Justin Reid, pick 27.

2 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

I've been out of the loop clearly - where does the third 1st rounder come from? We got 23 for Cooks, how did we land 27?

The description of the player picked indicates my prediction at the time of Gronk getting dealt to the Saints for their first, 27th overall.

Archived