Texans @ Panthers

amazingandre

Alright I'll admit Watson looked good last night. Savage didn't look good to start but ended on a good note.

We'll learn a lot about what BOB is thinking when we get back to training camp. If Watson still doesn't get any work with the 1's then Savage is week 1 starter. If Watson even gets up to 20% work with 1s he'll be the week 1 starter.

Even if Watson isn't the week 1 starter, he will be starting sooner rather than later. Savage is not going to last behind that OL unless they drastically improved from what they showed last night. Watson's ability to escape from the pocket will be needed.

18 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Alright I'll admit Watson looked good last night. Savage didn't look good to start but ended on a good note.

We'll learn a lot about what BOB is thinking when we get back to training camp. If Watson still doesn't get any work with the 1's then Savage is week 1 starter. If Watson even gets up to 20% work with 1s he'll be the week 1 starter.

I think realistically Watson needs to play with the starters this week and get the start next weekend. We know what Savage is. We know he won't regress because he missed a week with the starters, but in order to accurately assess Watson, we need to see him with the starters. If he plays well with them, it has to be his job. His ability to process information was better than Tom, his athleticism brings a much needed element to our offense, especially with our OL being a tad shaky. He clearly has the higher ceiling. 

28 minutes ago, amazingandre said:

I think realistically Watson needs to play with the starters this week and get the start next weekend. We know what Savage is. We know he won't regress because he missed a week with the starters, but in order to accurately assess Watson, we need to see him with the starters. If he plays well with them, it has to be his job. His ability to process information was better than Tom, his athleticism brings a much needed element to our offense, especially with our OL being a tad shaky. He clearly has the higher ceiling. 

I'm of that mindset as well. I hope Tom gets a quick, positive scoring drive in before he yields the floor, because he needs some work, too.

One guy I was very high on that showed up was D'Onta Foreman. Guy is more than an inside banger, he's got speed and awareness to be a legit three down RB in this league. His pass protection wasn't horrible, but wasn't good - but can be worked on over time. I sincerely think he might take the starting gig from Lamar Miller next season (at least compete for it). Alfred Blue also looked great in his spot time - it looked like his vision and feel for the game improved tremendously. Each RB had a moment in the game where they brought something good to the field, gonna be a crowded backfield and a tough cut at the spot.

Yahoo has a video clip of all of Watson's plays:

https://sports.yahoo.com/every-play-houston-texans-rookie-041853118.html

Concerns I have following a 2nd viewing:

- Watson has a tendency to throw back to the inside of the hashmarks after a designed boot that takes him outside the hashmarks. That can be VERY dangerous, throwing to where traffic will be. He seems very measured when making the throw - he checked the area before going to that spot - but one tip on that pass sends it to an area with a lot of defenders ready to pick it off. Be careful.

- Deep balls down the seam needs to be drilled into him as a continuous point to improve on. Missed two connections down the seam that would have yielded huge yards, maybe even a score. He missed long on those plays too, so an active S in cover 2 can make him pay on that throw (think of the pick that Joe Webb threw in the end zone - same potential outcome if he misses on that frequently).

Now that I'm finally able to post on the new layout I can post my thoughts.

I am just going to get this out the way now. I expect Watson to start week 1 vs the Jags. If he doesn't then at some point in the game if Savage struggles he will play. Obviously as a rookie he did some things that make you scratch your head such as overthrowing wide open receivers but that can be corrected. Unlike Savage he showed the ability to get away from pressure which will be a key due to how bad our offensive line is. Like you guys I want him to start next week vs the 1's.

I liked how Foreman and Blue ran. I think we will have nice depth at RB this season.

Cunningham impressed me. He will be a nice compliment to Cush and McKinney for us.

Hopefully that missed tackle by Kevin Johnson was to shake off rust because we will need him this season due to Joseph being older and missing a step.

I was able to go to the game last night. A few things I noticed:

Clemson fans are flocking to the bandwagon big time. I saw a bunch of Watson jerseys with a Clemson hat,  or people in orange with some sort of Texans gear. When Carlos Watkins got a tackle early and his name was called, there was a decent cheer, but when Watson came to the sideline prior to his first drive, it started as a murmur that ended with a huge cheer when it was announced he was the new QB. They love this kid.

I got there early enough to watch the team drills during warm ups and I was high and behind them. I got a good look at Savage and didn't like what I saw. He was holding the ball way too long, and the pressure would have gotten there several times. His play during the game didn't do anything to make me feel a lot better. The Panthers 1st team D was only out 2 or 3 drives, and he didn't start moving the ball until after they were done. He was saved on a few throws by his receivers, including a big one he threw to Hopkins that was behind him and somehow Hop pulled it in. That catch led to Blue's TD.

Like others said, there's a LOT of competition at RB. If I had to call it now, I think it's Miller, Foreman and Ervin/Hunt with Blue as a 4th back/ST. Foreman might work his way into a split with Miller if he continues that performance against 1st team D's.

I haven't seen the injury report, but Braxton Miller grabbed at his Achilles area and came up limping. He went to the trainer's table and was there for a long time getting looked at. I never saw him again. Not sure if he went to the locker room or I just didn't see him. That's not good for an already short WR group, and some of the WRs not named Hopkins, Miller or Strong weren't hitting on much.

Dylan Cole and Riley McCarron brought a lot of energy...it's hard not to pull for these two.

You guys already hit on pretty much everything on Watson so there's not much to add, but it was fun watching him and seeing him make some plays. He made some rookie mistakes, but his movement in and around the pocket and the way he was still looking to pass as he escaped was great to see.

If Watson isn't starting week 1, then we have some serious problems in our coaching staff. I've never liked BOB and I am still not sure we can really win with him at the helm, but there is no reason to start Savage over Watson week 1 unless Watson can't handle the pressure. We wouldnt want to ruin him like David Carr, but from what everyone has said about training camp and what we saw in the pre season Watson can handle it. 

I will give Savage this, he has a heck of an arm. But he is slow in the pocket and doesnt have that mental clock in his head. Hes a true game manager. Watson will probably make more bad plays, but he will also make way more big plays. Its hard to tell if last night was just a vanilla game plan, which no doubt it was, or if BOBs game plan on offense this season is 5 yard passes. 9 of 11 sounds good, but so many little passes. 

Watson went 15 of 25, but he really didn't struggle with accuracy. 

his 1st incompletion was all on him, probably nerves, but he made the right read and had an open guy

his 2nd was on a play where he was buying time and either over threw or under threw a guy, but it was about the same as a throw away. Even still he had a guy open and missed him, once again moving around in the back field and finding the right guy, just needed to complete the pass

Then he makes a really nice pump fake and then completion that the guy fumbles

3rd incompletion was a right between the numbers drop by the WR

4th was a throw away on a scramble play

5th was a throw away on well cover play

6th was a throw away on a scramble play

7th was not great but it was dropped

8th was another bomb type throw away towards the end of the half

9th was a drop

10th was an overthrow

11th was under thrown but the WR got his hands on it

the last one hit the WR and he couldnt hold on.

a couple of those were nullified by penalty which is why he only had 10 incomplete passes in the box score.

still he only had like 4 or 5 bad throws. He had several drops and throw the ball away when needed. 

I am impressed. BOB doesnt have a clue what hes doing though so i fully expect Savage under center to start the season. I think we can get to the bye week 4-2 regardless of the QB

the most worrisome part of the game was how terrible our 1st team pass defense was. 

Archived