Ravens sign Willie Snead to offer sheet, Saints don't match offer.

49erurtaza

Ravens can't afford Dez now, would've been smarter to throw a 1 year 10 million dollar deal at Dez than a 2 year10 million prove it deal at Snead. 

Ravens have one solid WR, One with speed but sickle cell trait and now one with two pretty good seasons under his belt and one dreadful one. Anything is better than last year's group.

4 hours ago, paraven said:

exactly, signing Maclin late in the offseason last year was dumspter diving IMO. These signings this year are all low risk high reward signings. I still think they will go WR in round 1 or 2 as well in the draft.

Low risk yes but come on Maclin/Snead were/will never be high reward

11 minutes ago, One Punch Man said:

If only John Brown didn’t have sickle cell problems and Snead didn’t have PED/Injury concerns. If we’re talking pure talent and assuming full health, this would be the best WR group Flacco has had in quite some time.

Injury concerns? When else has he been out with injury other than last year??

2 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

Ravens can't afford Dez now, would've been smarter to throw a 1 year 10 million dollar deal at Dez than a 2 year10 million prove it deal at Snead. 

Ravens have one solid WR, One with speed but sickle cell trait and now one with two pretty good seasons under his belt and one dreadful one. Anything is better than last year's group.

I think this is happening now because the Ravens FO is pretty sure the Giants are about to sign Dez. I'm pretty sure we sent some kind of deal to get Dez and he's holding out to play for a team who plays Dallas next year, preferably twice.  My money would be on the Giants signing him pretty soon. If not, it'll probably be the Texans.  

9 hours ago, Crickett said:

Does this mean the Ravens aren't going WR in the draft?  Michael Crabtree, John Brown and Willie Snead might not be the best group of receivers in the NFL by any stretch, but they're at least passable.  Maybe that is the group they're going with? 

That's not a good receiving corps. Flacco needs help.

4 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

Ravens can't afford Dez now, would've been smarter to throw a 1 year 10 million dollar deal at Dez than a 2 year10 million prove it deal at Snead

1) That wouldn't have been doable from a cap perspective absent a significant restructuring

2) Snead's deal is actually $7MM/2yr with incentives bringing it to 10, so pretty cheap.

12 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

1) That wouldn't have been doable from a cap perspective absent a significant restructuring

2) Snead's deal is actually $7MM/2yr with incentives bringing it to 10, so pretty cheap.

Dez is about 3 times the receiver Snead is so they could find the cap somewhere and it would've been well worth it.

I like it. Snead should replace Michael Campanaro in the slot, only be a much more durable option. Sure Snead isn’t the most durable player, but he isn’t brittle and that alone makes this a major upgrade.

Chris Moore and Willie Snead likely compete for the main slot option, while Breshad Perriman and John Brown compete for the main deep threat option. Assuming this signing goes through, it wouldn’t surprise me if we wait until the 3rd round to address the receiver position, certainly I don’t see them double dipping in the draft any longer.

5 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Does this move stop the Ravens from drafting a WR early this year?

I don't know why it would.   Crabtree could be fine his next 2 years, but it's also very possible there's a decline phase already here.   Snead is a complementary WR.    John Brown got signed to a 1-year deal.   Perriman will be a UFA next year if the Ravens decline his option (and even if they exercise it, it's only guaranteed for injury).

I think this move prevents them from having to be locked into WR Rd1...but it sure shouldn't stop them, if they think the value is there (waiting until Rd2 is palatable, though).   \

For 2/7M guaranteed, it's a good signing for sure.  But it doesn't change the team's draft philosophy, other than preventing them from being locked into WR no matter how the draft board is falling early.

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

I don't know why it would.   Crabtree could be fine his next 2 years, but it's also very possible there's a decline phase already here.   Snead is a complementary WR.    John Brown got signed to a 1-year deal.   Perriman will be a UFA next year if the Ravens decline his option (and even if they exercise it, it's only guaranteed for injury).

I think this move prevents them from having to be locked into WR Rd1...but it sure shouldn't stop them, if they think the value is there (waiting until Rd2 is palatable, though).   \

For 2/7M guaranteed, it's a good signing for sure.  But it doesn't change the team's draft philosophy, other than preventing them from being locked into WR no matter how the draft board is falling early.

Well said.  It only changes their draft in that there is less pressure to take a WR early regardless of what happens.  It shouldn't push them away from the position in any round, though.

Archived