A Song of Ice and Fire

THE DUKE

Figured we need to get the book thread rolling again before too much book talk spills into the show thread.  Here is me waiting for The Winds of Winter

19gd3y.jpg

I did find this link saying that he is still "months away" from finishing, and that "maybe" we'll get a "Westeros" book in 2018.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/the-winds-of-winter-release-date-game-of-thrones-george-rr-martin-2018-a-song-of-ice-and-fire-a7858406.html

So, maybe we get the She Wolves of Winterfell in 2018........maybe.

Edited by THE DUKE
  • Like 1

Does anybody else think that maybe the whole Dorne thing isn't going to be too far from the book and that it's just another Shaggy Dog scenario in the books and that Doran really will be killed by the Sand Snakes? 

That's the one angle that I'm most interested in learning about when/if I ever get to read Winds of Winter.  I can't believe the show would so quickly and ruthlessly eliminate Doran if he had a major part to play in the books.  Unless they just essentially swapped all his plotting in favor of Varys. 

34 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Figured we need to get the book thread rolling again before too much book talk spills into the show thread.  Here is me waiting for The Winds of Winter

19gd3y.jpg

I did find this link saying that he is still "months away" from finishing, and that "maybe" we'll get a "Westeros" book in 2018.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/the-winds-of-winter-release-date-game-of-thrones-george-rr-martin-2018-a-song-of-ice-and-fire-a7858406.html

So, maybe we get the She Wolves of Winterfell in 2018........maybe.

We will probably get the fire and blood book instead. He's become lost in his own universe - he's so insistent on tackling so many westeros projects at the same time. Truthfully, I Think he likes working on the history of the universe than he does actually working on the main story. 

33 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Does anybody else think that maybe the whole Dorne thing isn't going to be too far from the book and that it's just another Shaggy Dog scenario in the books and that Doran really will be killed by the Sand Snakes? 

That's the one angle that I'm most interested in learning about when/if I ever get to read Winds of Winter.  I can't believe the show would so quickly and ruthlessly eliminate Doran if he had a major part to play in the books.  Unless they just essentially swapped all his plotting in favor of Varys. 

I think the Dorne storyline will be much bigger than it was in the story. Could Doran eventually be assassinated by the sand snakes and his daughter? Sure, but I Think there's going to be a lot that happens between now and then. I'm more in line with Preston Jacobs in tha I think that there is a much larger plan in place for Dorne. I don't know that I agree with all (or even most) of his theories on it, but I do feel that he is correct that there is a much larger Dornish Master Plan, similar to how I really do believe that there is a Northern conspiracy going on right now. 

49 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

No I think dorne will be a player of some sort. Show just butchered the whole kingdom. 

^Yeah, I'm just hoping Doran survives long enough to do some damage in the books because I agree with the theory that he's got a master plan.  Obviously, since he admitted as much. 

Another thing I'm interested in is Loras Tyrell's brothers that I talked briefly about in the other thread.  GRRM has gone out of his way to say he's disappointed the show couldn't include them, and he said the other one that we haven't seen yet is even better.  I'm wondering if they will die at Highgarden or survive it and come into play more. 

Also thinking GRRM made the Jon twist obvious in order to disguise the real twist in parentage and that Tyrion is a Targaryen.  You can't just ignore the fact that he pet the dragon.  Considering the amount of money it takes to make a dragon for five seconds, there's no other explanation for why the show made a point for Tyrion to pet it.

Dorne will undoubtedly be more interesting in the book.  I like where it's at now with Arienne going to meet "Aegon" and the Golden Company.  Meanwhile Dany is still half way around the world with her Dragons and they haven't found out yet that Quentyn has been barbequed by Viserion.  That could throw a wrinkle into Doran's master plan, but after hearing the plan, the sand snakes seem to be on board with Doran, so I doubt they assassinate him and seize power.

Just now, ninjapirate said:

No I think dorne will be a player of some sort. Show just butchered the whole kingdom. 

I agree and I definitely think it's going to be a MUCH bigger player, I just think that maybe the show rushed it completely and totally and that the end result will be the same.  Imagine that scene of the Sand Snakes killing Doran if the show had done Doran justice.  It could have been Red Wedding levels of shock I think. 

I am really hoping that tyrion is not a Targaryen. At some point, things like that are just too much. I mean, the hints are obviously there, but I'm sort of meh on that discovery. I remember the first time, years ago that I heard the R+L = J theory, and I was blown away. The first time I heard the Tyrion is a targ theory, I thought it was kind of eh, so I'm hopeful they don't go that way. 

I think that its possible Highgarden is more of a force in the books as well. Willas is the one that could be interesting. He's not a fighter because of his injury, and if I remember right, he's said to be a bit of a bookworm, so it's possible that he could be a strategic force. And Garlan is a straight up awesome, so I don't think that they will go away like they did in the show. 

Just now, THE DUKE said:

Watch GRRM completely troll the show and kill all the Starks except for Rickon.

That's the most concerning thing to me.  Wondering how much the show has influenced how he's written and what he's changed.  Can't tell me that the show doesn't have at the very least a subliminal impact on his writing. 

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

That's the most concerning thing to me.  Wondering how much the show has influenced how he's written and what he's changed.  Can't tell me that the show doesn't have at the very least a subliminal impact on his writing. 

I am pretty sure he is currently using the show to test some things. I mean why wouldn't he? 

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

It really depends on how you view it. Rickon surviving makes a lot of sense if you want the "Stark" name to survive. The women's children would typically take the name of the men that they marry, though I don't think it's impossible that it reverses in the instances of great houses (I feel like something like that may have happened with the Darry's?), and Bran can't have children. Jon is a Snow/Targaryen, not a Snow/Stark.