A Song of Ice and Fire

THE DUKE

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

They didn't...

Sam tells the story in the show about his father making him take the black so he wouldn't inherit anything.

I thought in the most recent episode they kinda retconned it. At least that was how I interpreted the conversation between he and Bran.

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

They didn't...

Sam tells the story in the show about his father making him take the black so he wouldn't inherit anything.

Well, either they meant he wouldn’t inherent if Dickon died, or they forgot he said that. Did you watch “Inside the Episode” after the show?  They said “Sam’s older brother Dickon” and the first thing he says when he finds out his dad is dead is something like “so my brother is the new lord, at least I can return home now”

1 minute ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Well, either they meant he wouldn’t inherent if Dickon died, or they forgot he said that. Did you watch “Inside the Episode” after the show?  They said “Sam’s older brother Dickon” and the first thing he says when he finds out his dad is dead is something like “so my brother is the new lord, at least I can return home now”

Dickon would be the new Lord because Sam took the black, giving up his claim/right to be Lord.

I'm sure the guy misspoke. Nothing in show suggests they retconned Sam being the older brother.

7 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Dickon would be the new Lord because Sam took the black, giving up his claim/right to be Lord.

I'm sure the guy misspoke. Nothing in show suggests they retconned Sam being the older brother.

Hope you’re right. That would bug me if they screwed that up. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'd assume most of you are there already but it bears repeating if you aren't already, you really should be treating the books and shows as separate canon. Enjoy the spectacle that is the show, even if the writing has gotten pretty loose since season 5, to put it nicely.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

I'd assume most of you are there already but it bears repeating if you aren't already, you really should be treating the books and shows as separate canon. Enjoy the spectacle that is the show, even if the writing has gotten pretty loose since season 5, to put it nicely.

I've struggled with for that some reason. I think I usually get there about halfway through a season but havent got there yet this year. 

I think the fact that the show used to be so different is part of it. 

2 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

I've struggled with for that some reason. I think I usually get there about halfway through a season but havent got there yet this year. 

I think the fact that the show used to be so different is part of it. 

As soon as they weren't following the books pretty closely and were given some creative freedom the show known for it's innovation and unpredictability became very formulaic very quickly.

55 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

As soon as they weren't following the books pretty closely and were given some creative freedom the show known for it's innovation and unpredictability became very formulaic very quickly.

For sure. And it wouldn't be awful if I could get used to it. Just seems like the start of every season I remember what seasons 1-4 were like and expect the same now. The show is way more cinematic and the writing is poor now and I just need to accept that.

7 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

For sure. And it wouldn't be awful if I could get used to it. Just seems like the start of every season I remember what seasons 1-4 were like and expect the same now. The show is way more cinematic and the writing is poor now and I just need to accept that.

The show writers essentially completely abandoned the Azor Ahai/Prince that was Promised storyline because "Arya's a badass".

Just now, THE DUKE said:

The show writers essentially completely abandoned the Azor Ahai/Prince that was Promised storyline because "Arya's a badass".

They said that she was the one for about 4 years or something like that, dating back to when GRRM was still working on the show. So I highly doubt that's the case.

Also, with the next books being WOW and DOS, it looks like it may follow the same path where the story wraps up with the throne instead of the walkers.

5 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Agree wholeheartedly.  I mean, a lot had to be cut just for budget reasons, so I get them diverging a good bit.  I imagine the books won't end with Arya killing the Night King, if we even get a Night King in the books.  I'm starting to think that the closest analog we'll have for him in the books is Euron.

1 hour ago, JonStark said:

They said that she was the one for about 4 years or something like that, dating back to when GRRM was still working on the show. So I highly doubt that's the case.

Also, with the next books being WOW and DOS, it looks like it may follow the same path where the story wraps up with the throne instead of the walkers.

I took that to mean they made the decision 4 years ago who would kill the Night King, not that Martin told them or had any say in it. Referring to Arya as the perfect candidate for the job in the next sentence really supports that too. 

18 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I will be absolutely shocked if GRRM ever finishes the next book. I don't believe he has ANY intention to. 

I think the next book will come out late this year or early next year, still riding on the hype from the show. But after that...

I once had hope. I don't hold onto it any longer.