A Song of Ice and Fire

THE DUKE

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

If you're going to stick with that then be my guest. Not going to argue about it. You think a prophecy has to come true, I don't.

Prophecies fail to come true all the time, in both the real world and fictional ones. 

That's because you're listening to the people "predicting" them. Milessandre predicted it wrong with Stannis. That doesn't make the prophecy any less true. She correctly predicted the message of Jon being killed. The problem isn't the message, it's who's recieving and interpreting it.

Like say a person speaks some spanish, lives in spain and gets a letter for a bill in spanish. Now the person can read some of it but not all of it, yet they choose to try and make out what the message is. Now the letter isn't wrong, they do in fact owe money and it's just a standard bill of what's due at a certain time. Now they may already know what it's about as soon as they see the letter and get the gist of what's supposed to happen which means they interpreted it correctly. But many people forget about things they owe at one point or another so it confuses the person and say they don't get help to interpret the message and try to best predict what it means they may get it wrong.

That's pretty much what happened with Milessandre and the prophecy. R'hollor was not wrong in what happened. She just interpreted the message wrong.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 12:29 PM, Calvert28 said:

That's because you're listening to the people "predicting" them. Milessandre predicted it wrong with Stannis. That doesn't make the prophecy any less true. She correctly predicted the message of Jon being killed. The problem isn't the message, it's who's recieving and interpreting it.

The funny thing is, in the only POV chapter we get from her, she says as much.

GRRM literally says 'many a priest preistess had been brought down by false visions, by seeing what they wished to see instead of what the Lord of light had sent'. (I just read this chapter again last night without seeing this thread lol)

She then goes on to do her reading, and right before says 'one more time, she had to be sure'. She then has the vision you are talking about, where she asks for the prince that was promised and only sees Jon snow. I believe that in this moment, she realizes that Jon is the prince that was promised. 

The fact she says right before that she needs to make sure she interprets her vision correctly means she is going into it with an open mind. The vision is not ambiguous either. I believe she abandons stannis' cause in this moment, and shifts her attention on Jon. She is casting spells on him and ghost throughout the whole dance of dragons but this chapter was all about her connection with Jon and trying to gain his trust. 

She knows. She didn't know, but now she does. 

PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE SHOW IN THIS THREAD. I have read the books 5+ times and have gone to great lengths to avoid the show lol 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, N4L said:

PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE SHOW IN THIS THREAD. I have read the books 5+ times and have gone to great lengths to avoid the show lol 

The show has been discussed in this thread since the very beginning

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen it mentioned here but the actor who played Barristan said in an interview at a Russian comicon-like event that the final two books are finished and the release date for Winds of Winter will be announced shortly following the shows finale. 

It's almost certainly not the case but we can dream. 

26 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

I haven't seen it mentioned here but the actor who played Barristan said in an interview at a Russian comicon-like event that the final two books are finished and the release date for Winds of Winter will be announced shortly following the shows finale. 

i doubt it

• Like 1

On 4/29/2019 at 8:56 PM, Calvert28 said:

I don't think Martin has ever feared backlash with his writing. I just think he has lost interest.

yeah, its like when you tell someone a rough outline of your story and they are like yeah sure cool. and then you have to write it and nah. No longer interested

• Like 2

4 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

I don't believe it if only because I don't think Martin can finish this opus in two books, which makes me doing that claim that both are done. I could believe that WoW is done and waiting to be announced until after, but even that's just me being hopeful

6 hours ago, Forge said:

I don't believe it if only because I don't think Martin can finish this opus in two books

Definitely agree with that. Ending the story in two books is almost certainly going to leave readers with similar disappoint as the show. 

8 hours ago, Forge said:

I don't believe it if only because I don't think Martin can finish this opus in two books, which makes me doing that claim that both are done. I could believe that WoW is done and waiting to be announced until after, but even that's just me being hopeful

2 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Definitely agree with that. Ending the story in two books is almost certainly going to leave readers with similar disappoint as the show. 

I'd disagree.  I'm thinking these are going to be two very long books.  I mean, they've been getting longer and longer, and he talked about originally wanting to do a time-skip.  Plus, the books moved a little faster than the show, and if the books deviate significantly, the storyline could wrap up a lot faster.  Just book Euron's magic ritual he's gearing up for could be a game changer, and Victarion is probably unwittingly providing Daenerys with a fleet to sail to Westeros.

3 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

There is a night and day difference between Martin with 3000 pages or h/e long he might make those two, and then the guy who wrote Troy. 

I wonder how many people will start reading the books once the show is over.  I'm guessing a fair amount, especially once (if) the next book ever comes out.  People are gonna want a much more satisfying ending than we're seeing play out in the show.

8 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

I wonder how many people will start reading the books once the show is over.  I'm guessing a fair amount, especially once (if) the next book ever comes out.  People are gonna want a much more satisfying ending than we're seeing play out in the show.

The people would be able to put in the time and energy to read the books have probably already read them. They are LONG and slow/tedious at points.

The majority of people that are into the show are just in it for the gore/boobs.

2 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

The people would be able to put in the time and energy to read the books have probably already read them. They are LONG and slow/tedious at points.

The majority of people that are into the show are just in it for the gore/boobs.

A cynical view, but probably true.

I agree books 4-5 were tedious and a slog to get through at times.  Books 1-3 were lit though.  Think I read all three in a month or something like that.

• Like 1