Sign in to follow this  
Silver_Lining

First-Pick Draft with Dolphin Interviews

Posted (edited)

Hey Guys, 

I was playing around with first-pick.com to make a draft and I decided to pick (no trades) only players that have been interviewed by the Dolphins' staff. Here's what I have to share...

http://walterfootball.com/prospectMeetings/byteam

https://first-pick.com/NFL/DraftGame.aspx

My Results:

Round 1 Pick 11: Vea, Vita, DT. Washington (A)

Round 2 Pick 10: Goedert, Dallas, TE, South Dakota State (A-)

Round 3 Pick 9: Leonard, Darius, LB, South Carolina State (B-)

Round 4 Pick 23: Ballage, Kalen, RB, Arizona State (A-)

Round 4 Pick 30 : Benkert, Kurt, QB, Virginia (B)

Round 6 Pick 35: Gates, Nick, OG, Nebraska (A)

Round 7 Pick 5: Wims, Javon, WR, Georgia (A+)

Round 7 Pick 11 : McCrane, Matthew, K, Kansas State (B)

Discussion: 

Would you be happy with this draft?

Do you trust the Dolphins' front office?

How often do you agree with media "scouts?"

Good luck, Phins!

Edited by Silver_Lining

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Silver_Lining said:

Hey Guys, 

I was playing around with first-pick.com to make a draft and I decided to pick (no trades) only players that have been interviewed by the Dolphins' staff. Here's what I have to share...

http://walterfootball.com/prospectMeetings/byteam

https://first-pick.com/NFL/DraftGame.aspx

My Results:

Round 1 Pick 11: Vea, Vita, DT. Washington (A)

Round 2 Pick 10: Goedert, Dallas, TE, South Dakota State (A-)

Round 3 Pick 9: Leonard, Darius, LB, South Carolina State (B-)

Round 4 Pick 23: Ballage, Kalen, RB, Arizona State (A-)

Round 4 Pick 30 : Benkert, Kurt, QB, Virginia (B)

Round 6 Pick 35: Gates, Nick, OG, Nebraska (A)

Round 7 Pick 5: Wims, Javon, WR, Georgia (A+)

Round 7 Pick 11 : McCrane, Matthew, K, Kansas State (B)

I love Vea and Goedert. I don't know much about Leonard, and there's something I don't like about Ballage. The punter from BGSU is very good and left-footed. If he was available in the 7th, I'd pick him rather than the K. I'm surprised he isn't among the Dolphins' interviewees.

I'd take this  draft, though.

Edited by freak_of_nature

On 4/21/2018 at 6:29 AM, freak_of_nature said:

I love Vea and Goedert. I don't know much about Leonard, and there's something I don't like about Ballage. The punter from BGSU is very good and left-footed. If he was available in the 7th, I'd pick him rather than the K. I'm surprised he isn't among the Dolphins' interviewees.

I'd take this  draft, though.

Considering we don't have a placekicker on the roster and we've hosted a handful of rookie kickers, I think it's a given the Dolphins are going to take a kicker at some point in the draft. I'd consider it a blessing if we didn't do it until the 7th round.

As for a punter, I'd take back Darr in a heartbeat, over Haack.

16 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Considering we don't have a placekicker on the roster and we've hosted a handful of rookie kickers, I think it's a given the Dolphins are going to take a kicker at some point in the draft. I'd consider it a blessing if we didn't do it until the 7th round.

As for a punter, I'd take back Darr in a heartbeat, over Haack.

I didn't realize Parkey was no longer with us.

2 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

I didn't realize Parkey was no longer with us.

Yeah, the Bears signed him iirc.

Regular mock;

Round 1 Pick 13 (WASH):  Vea, Vita, DT, Washington (A)
Round 2 Pick 10:  Goedert, Dallas, TE, South Dakota State (A-)
Round 2 Pick 12 (WASH):  Crosby, Tyrell, OT, Oregon (B+)
Round 3 Pick 9:  Penny, Rashaad, RB, San Diego State (A+)
Round 4 Pick 23:  Leonard, Darius, OLB/ILB, South Carolina State (A)
Round 4 Pick 30:  Adams, Tony, OG, North Carolina State (B)
Round 6 Pick 35:  Allen, Brian, C, Michigan State (A)
Round 7 Pick 5:  Pineiro, Eddy, K, Florida (A+)
Round 7 Pick 11:  Davidson, Joseph, P, Bowling Green (A+)

It’s possible we could select Vea at 11, and that’s probably why I keep dry heaving right now.  I will hate that pick for us at 11.  We need to come away with play makers  with our early picks this draft, and a 340 lb 2 down DT isn’t going to be a play maker.  He will be good at eating up space and he has good lateral movement down the LoS, but he just isn’t a big need for us IMO.

I hate any mock that has us taking Vea at 11.  We had one of the worst Offenses in the NFL last year and we got rid of our best Offensive player ( Landry ).  We have some needs on Defense but none are close to our Offensive needs.  We are in a great position to draft a player that falls out of the top 10 picks and Vea isn’t a top 10 pick IMO.  Our focus should be on drafting QB, WR, CB, in round 1........and we aren’t in a bad spot at 11 for landing the best WR, CB, or even OT in this draft.

Vea will be a solid Pro, but he isn’t going to put points on the board or shut down an opposing play maker.

On 4/23/2018 at 7:36 PM, Swampbilly said:

I hate any mock that has us taking Vea at 11.  We had one of the worst Offenses in the NFL last year and we got rid of our best Offensive player ( Landry ).  We have some needs on Defense but none are close to our Offensive needs.  We are in a great position to draft a player that falls out of the top 10 picks and Vea isn’t a top 10 pick IMO.  Our focus should be on drafting QB, WR, CB, in round 1........and we aren’t in a bad spot at 11 for landing the best WR, CB, or even OT in this draft.

So at 11, you would rather take a QB, WR or CB?  If Rosen or Mayfield are there at 11 I could get on board with that.  Miami has 7 WR on its roster right now.  1st Rd WR have been an absolute disaster (besides 2014).  The reason the offense was so bad last year is because our QB LOVED to throw it to the other team.   CB?  I would argue its a position of strength for Miami.  Remember, Lippett comes back and showed a ton of promise in 2016.  A big reason Miami was able to make a run into the playoffs.  4 INT's.

I don't see DT as a huge need but Vea could be a 10 year solid pro.  I would lean LB (Edmunds or Smith), trade back, trade back, trade back or trade back.  If some how Miami could move back to the late teens and pick up a another second round selection, that would be ideal.  Take Evans or Vanderesch in late teens/early 20's and pick up another potential starter in round 2.  

There is a significant drop off in talent after top 10 and another after the 2nd round.  Most draft analysts have 2nd round grades on most of the guys after 20.  Not a very good draft at all.  LB, QB and TE and interior OL are deep in Top 50.  That's it.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Rgossett07 said:

So at 11, you would rather take a QB, WR or CB?  If Rosen or Mayfield are there at 11 I could get on board with that.  Miami has 7 WR on its roster right now.  1st Rd WR have been an absolute disaster (besides 2014).  The reason the offense was so bad last year is because our QB LOVED to throw it to the other team.   CB?  I would argue its a position of strength for Miami.  Remember, Lippett comes back and showed a ton of promise in 2016.  A big reason Miami was able to make a run into the playoffs.  4 INT's.

I don't see DT as a huge need but Vea could be a 10 year solid pro.  I would lean LB (Edmunds or Smith), trade back, trade back, trade back or trade back.  If some how Miami could move back to the late teens and pick up a another second round selection, that would be ideal.  Take Evans or Vanderesch in late teens/early 20's and pick up another potential starter in round 2.  

There is a significant drop off in talent after top 10 and another after the 2nd round.  Most draft analysts have 2nd round grades on most of the guys after 20.  Not a very good draft at all.  LB, QB and TE and interior OL are deep in Top 50.  That's it.

I’m all for trading back, but with just looking at what we absolutely know right now is that we have pick 11 in round 1.  I agree with your assessments of the first round and I do think Vea will be a solid pro, but with pick 11 I want a perineal pro bowler.  As for the rest of the draft I see a lot of depth at TE, LB, CB, and DT.  

We have a solid roster at a glance when you look at our CB’s until you think about the Nickle position.  Nickle should be viewed as a starting position in today’s NFL which means we need 3 starting CB’s, and I believe Ward would fill a huge need at CB.

I see Vea as a guy that’s going to take up space and not much of a penetrator or disruptor and that means he just isn’t going to have huge stats, and he’s a 2 down player IMO. We can find space eating DTs in rounds 3 or 4, like U of Miami DT’s RJ Macintosh or Ken Norton.

This is the same argument I had with a couple other posters when we pursued Suh, and that is DT just isn’t a top impact position.  I’m of the belief that the top impact positions are;  QB, WR, OT, DE, CB.  These are the ideal positions of value to target in round one although there are always exceptions, but I don’t see Vea as an exception.  I can see Vanderesch as an exception to this way before Vea.

Edited by Swampbilly

30 minutes ago, Swampbilly said:

We have a solid roster at a glance when you look at our CB’s until you think about the Nickle position.  Nickle should be viewed as a starting position in today’s NFL which means we need 3 starting CB’s, and I believe Ward would fill a huge need at CB.

Ward is a name barely mentioned by Dolphins fans for some reason. His size perhaps? I'd consider CB more of a 'soft' need, though. Between Howard, Tankersley, and Lippett should be two viable (or better) starters on the perimeter with McCain in the nickel

Minkah also played nickel in addition to FS, he even lined up in the box in dime sets. He would be more suited to cover TEs as well. Overall I think he'd be the better option, if both happened to be there at #11.

16 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

What type of coverage do we run the most?

More zone than man.

IIRC, Dolphins almost never played dime defense.

17 hours ago, cddolphin said:

Ward is a name barely mentioned by Dolphins fans for some reason. His size perhaps? I'd consider CB more of a 'soft' need, though. Between Howard, Tankersley, and Lippett should be two viable (or better) starters on the perimeter with McCain in the nickel

Minkah also played nickel in addition to FS, he even lined up in the box in dime sets. He would be more suited to cover TEs as well. Overall I think he'd be the better option, if both happened to be there at #11.

Good call, and I agree that Minkah would be better suited to cover TE’s and has more experience playing the nickel.  I’m a bit biased to Saban coached picks, but when you’re right you’re right.

7 minutes ago, Swampbilly said:

I’m a bit biased to Saban coached picks, but when you’re right you’re right.

Remember Gase has a direct line to Saban, whom he coached under early in his career.

9 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Remember Gase has a direct line to Saban, whom he coached under early in his career.

Ya I realize that, and I don’t like it, but it’s certainly true.