Vander-Esch vs. Evans--Who you got?

Steelers22

Granted, I assume Vander-Esch will be gone by the time we pick but just wondering who you guys prefer?

I watched a few games of Vander-Esch today and I just don't see it.  He plays tepid and just isn't physical enough for my taste.  I know he destroyed the combine but it doesn't show on the field.  He's fast when he's chasing people down but he isn't explosive in tight space (which I think is way more important).  Coverage looks good and he's a solid tackler but I was left underwhelmed.  He looks more like a 2nd-3rd rounder to me.

Evans disappears a bit more than you'd like but he looks significantly more explosive and aggressive on the field.  Add his blitzing ability and it seems like an easy decision to me.  Don't love Evans but I definitely like him.

for those who prefer Vander-Esch, what do you see that I don't?

I too like Evans better but I don't think people give LVE enough credit for his ability to find and follow the ball.  Just for comparison sake Malik Jefferson is HORRIBLE at this and Im not sure what skill or ability could be more important for an ILB. 

What was odd about LVE is that for as big and as strong as he looks he doesnt play that strong, however he pretty much plays well enough to get to the ball on most occasions. 

However, I wouldnt count on either of them being there based upon needs and their value to teams above us.  Gonna be tough to make it through the Buffalo, Tennessee, New England gauntlet to name a few.

27 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

I too like Evans better but I don't think people give LVE enough credit for his ability to find and follow the ball.  Just for comparison sake Malik Jefferson is HORRIBLE at this and Im not sure what skill or ability could be more important for an ILB. 

What was odd about LVE is that for as big and as strong as he looks he doesnt play that strong, however he pretty much plays well enough to get to the ball on most occasions. 

However, I wouldnt count on either of them being there based upon needs and their value to teams above us.  Gonna be tough to make it through the Buffalo, Tennessee, New England gauntlet to name a few.

Yeah, I can see that.  He strikes me more as a solid ILB but not a true difference maker and I think our defense badly needs a difference maker (I think Evans has the chance to be one).  

But yeah if both are gone by 28...ugh.  Not sure where the Steelers go from there

Id honestly trade away quite a bit for the chance to get Minkah Fitzpatrick, if thats up to #6 or 7 Id do it.  That is the kind of difference maker this defense desperately needs and in the right position. 

Finding good middle linebackers late in the 1st round is a potential in every draft. Find a difference maker with versatility at free safety is a far greater rarity and way more valuable than it used to be. Im kind of stuck on this idea at the moment so forgive me. 

11 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Id honestly trade away quite a bit for the chance to get Minkah Fitzpatrick, if thats up to #6 or 7 Id do it.  That is the kind of difference maker this defense desperately needs and in the right position. 

Finding good middle linebackers late in the 1st round is a potential in every draft. Find a difference maker with versatility at free safety is a far greater rarity and way more valuable than it used to be. Im kind of stuck on this idea at the moment so forgive me. 

JPN,

is this the year we make such  a trade and get our new playmaker ?  I was just reading about Troy and the AFF :ph34r:. I hope the FO tries anyways, to trade Dupree and Bell because Bell will be gone next year anyways  so might as well get something now . What would we get for compensation if he walks via UFA, a late 3rd?  

Where do you think Fitzpatrick falls anyways? Everyone is expecting a few QB's early, then there is Barkley, Chubb, Nelson . Whats your top 10 for the draft based on who is drafting and their needs? 

26 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

JPN,

is this the year we make such  a trade and get our new playmaker ?  I was just reading about Troy and the AFF :ph34r:. I hope the FO tries anyways, to trade Dupree and Bell because Bell will be gone next year anyways  so might as well get something now . What would we get for compensation if he walks via UFA, a late 3rd?  

Where do you think Fitzpatrick falls anyways? Everyone is expecting a few QB's early, then there is Barkley, Chubb, Nelson . Whats your top 10 for the draft based on who is drafting and their needs? 

I currently have him rated #5. If it were up to me I would strongly consider him for Cleveland at 4 if they didnt trade out.

Its seeming/sounding like Darnold, Allen, & mayfield will go top 5 and Rosen will slip in there somewhere in the top 6. I have liked Mayfield to NYJ the entire time. Youd assume Barkley will be one of the first two position players taken and then you have the Chubb, Nelson, Fitzpatrick group...with some thinking James and Edmunds can slip in there or even R. Smith. I like Edmunds but would not take him above any of the QBs if I needed them or Nelson or Fitzpatrick. I have Chubb rated high but dont get that special feeling that many are trying to heap upon him. 

The Qbs in this draft should make this a wildcard draft thats for sure. 

15 minutes ago, JPeezy55 said:

Care to elaborate for the dislike on Evans? 

In my amateur opinion, I don’t think he does well in coverage, plus his injuries most notably the multiple groin issues.

More than solid in run game, but I’m not a fan of using a 1st on a 2 down thumper...we have that in Vince Williams.

Just my opinion though...honestly I feel he’s the pick come Thursday if he’s still on the board.

Im not overly high on any player that is likely to be there at 28....but between these two, Ill take Evans easily over LVE.

2 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

More than solid in run game, but I’m not a fan of using a 1st on a 2 down thumper...we have that in Vince Williams.

While I agree with this in general, Vince Williams is not good at his job....at least not full time.       I personally believe we need two new starting ILBs.

8 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Evans' "inability" to cover is fiction. He is solid in that regard. He's a LB. Not a DB. He covers as well as (if not better then) most LBs.  Feel free to show me proof otherwise. 

Kind of my thought process too. As soon as people realize we won't be getting a clone of Shazier, the easier it'll be 

2 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Evans' "inability" to cover is fiction. He is solid in that regard. He's a LB. Not a DB. He covers as well as (if not better then) most LBs.  Feel free to show me proof otherwise. 

Well said. I dont think evans will be there but if he is he should be the pick. LVE I really want to be a fan and i have had plenty try and convince me of his potential greatness but i dont see it. As much as we need to fix this lb spot im not sure i want LVE if he is there in the 1st and evans is gone. I know that may be going over board but seriously the more i watch the less i like.

Archived