The Baker Mayfield Conundrum

RandyMossIsBoss

4 hours ago, Scout said:

This is the same guy that has Josh Allen #1 and had Dobbs #1 last year... 

This guy also had Alvin Kamara as the #1 RB last year.  And we all know RBs transition faster into the NFL than any other position.

Elite physical attributes >>> Elite collegiate statistical production

4 hours ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

The number one thing I scout for with QBs in accuracy. It is pretty much the only common trait in high level NFL QBs and I'm of the opinion that its more inherent than coachable. Mayfield is probably the most accurate passer in this class at all levels of the field. Everything else he has at least meets the NFL minimum requirements for draftable QBs. His offense and lack of pressure experience is a concern but I think those are significantly more "coachable" than someone like Allen learning to be more accurate.

Its easy to throw the ball accurately into wide open space with zero pressure.  I don't know how anyone can say this about Mayfield given the dearth of NFL caliber throws on his tape.  Sure, in a college air raid offense where his o-line gives him all the time in the world he's accurate.  But I don't know how you think that will translate to an NFL offense that will require more tight window throws and with far more pressure in his face.

The closest thing to an NFL defense Mayfield saw was the 2nd half against Georgia and he wasn't very accurate then.

10 hours ago, VanS said:

I'd like to know how Baker Mayfield is any different from Rex Grossman? 

Because that's who he reminds me of.  He's not Russell Wilson.  And he's not Drew Brees either.  Both are pie in the sky silly comps.  The closest NFL comp for Baker Mayfield is Rex Grossman.   I think anyone who takes Mayfield in the 1st round is making a huge mistake.  He's by far the biggest risk of the projected 1st round QBs.  I would personally take Kyle Lauletta (Richmond) over him.  I think that guy has more developmental potential as a 2nd round pick.

Because he's not a turnover prone player whose biggest selling point is his arm strength. 

40 minutes ago, VanS said:

This guy also had Alvin Kamara as the #1 RB last year.  And we all know RBs transition faster into the NFL than any other position.

Amusing you're not banging the drum for Chris Henry.  He's literally the epitome of what you're arguing.  He was the 2nd round pick for the Titans in 2007.  He has 32 career rushing attempts.  The fact is that it's usually a combination of both.  But keep banging the one right prediction you made last year.  You called Corey Davis Jerry Rice-lite, how's that comp?  How about Cameron Sutton as your top CB and Marshon Lattimore not even in your top 5?

41 minutes ago, VanS said:

Its easy to throw the ball accurately into wide open space with zero pressure.  I don't know how anyone can say this about Mayfield given the dearth of NFL caliber throws on his tape.  Sure, in a college air raid offense where his o-line gives him all the time in the world he's accurate.  But I don't know how you think that will translate to an NFL offense that will require more tight window throws and with far more pressure in his face.

The closest thing to an NFL defense Mayfield saw was the 2nd half against Georgia and he wasn't very accurate then.

You did watch his ability to maneuver in the pocket, right?

53 minutes ago, VanS said:

"This guy" brings that up every chance he can get. Jeez man I feel like this shows up on every other thread you post on.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Amusing you're not banging the drum for Chris Henry.  He's literally the epitome of what you're arguing.  He was the 2nd round pick for the Titans in 2007.  He has 32 career rushing attempts.  The fact is that it's usually a combination of both.  But keep banging the one right prediction you made last year.  You called Corey Davis Jerry Rice-lite, how's that comp?  How about Cameron Sutton as your top CB and Marshon Lattimore not even in your top 5?

Receivers typically take nearly as long as quarterbacks when it comes to transitioning into the NFL.  Go and look up Antonio Brown and Calvin Johnson's rookie year stats.  Nothing exceptional about them.  And this is without me using the fact Corey Davis struggled with a hamstring injury all season.  I still except him to be in contention for the best receiver in the NFL over the next 10 years along with Antonio Callaway.

With regard to Lattimore, I made it clear that his hamstring issues scared me which is why I didn't rank him among my top corners.  In terms of pure talent he would have been #3 on my list after Cam Sutton and Jourdan Lewis.  However, I didn't think he would play long enough to warrant a high ranking.  I also didn't rank Reuben Foster high because of his character and injury issues and that looks to be a good call right now.  We'll see if those recurring hamstring issues are a thing of the past for Lattimore.  With regard to Cam Sutton, he might not be flashy or the most physically talented, but he is an intelligent player who will carve out a very long career like 90s CB Eric Allen.  That is my pro-comp for him.  They have similar size, athletic ability, and intangibles.  Look for him to break out this season with the Steelers after suffering from hamstring issues last year.

3 hours ago, AlNFL19 said:

"This guy" brings that up every chance he can get. Jeez man I feel like this shows up on every other thread you post on.

Well I was the only person anywhere that came close to predicting his impact in the NFL.  I not only had him ranked as the #1 RB in a loaded class ahead of more highly touted prospects like Leonard Fournette, Christian McCaffrey, and Dalvin Cook.  But I also said exactly the type of player he would be.  I said he would have a Marshall Faulk like impact on the NFL as a dominant runner and receiver.  As a rookie, he led the league in YPC with 6.1 YPC on over 700 yards rushing as well as 800 yards receiving.  He was also 2nd in the NFL in total TDs with 14.  Not quite peak Marshall Faulk, but given his limited touches, its about as close to Marshall Faulk as we've seen in the last 15 years.

Also note that RB is the position where we see great players typically dominate right off the bat.   Other positions like QB and WR take time.  Thus, it didn't surprise me that of all the "bold picks" I made last year, that it was my pick on who the best RB in the class was gonna be that panned out first.  

I noticed a meteoric shift among the people I interact with after Daniel Jeremiah and a couple other big figures endorsed him. All the sudden everything changed. They had all watched plenty of Mayfield as I had. All the sudden there were a bunch of people in my boat. It was weird. 

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

You did watch his ability to maneuver in the pocket, right?

Yes.  However, I didn't find it to be as impressive as Allen, Darnold, or Jackson.  Mayfield will struggle to escape the pocket under pressure in the NFL.

Just now, CalhounLambeau said:

I noticed a meteoric shift among the people I interact with after Daniel Jeremiah and a couple other big figures endorsed him. All the sudden everything changed. They had all watched plenty of Mayfield as I had. All the sudden there were a bunch of people in my boat. It was weird. 

That's how it tends to be. Remember Carson Wentz? There were a handful of us here who were hyping him as a first round talent along with a very vocal contingent who felt he was nothing more than a Day 3 project. Once all the national guys got on board, that vocal contingent disappeared.

Just now, CalhounLambeau said:

People are sheep in general.  If an authority figure endorses something, they will follow suit.  That is one of my pet peeves when it comes to the draft process.  Its typically a game of follow the leader.  Very few people exercise independent thought.

10 minutes ago, VanS said:

Well I was the only person anywhere that came close to predicting his impact in the NFL.  I not only had him ranked as the #1 RB in a loaded class ahead of more highly touted prospects like Leonard Fournette, Christian McCaffrey, and Dalvin Cook.  But I also said exactly the type of player he would be.  I said he would have a Marshall Faulk like impact on the NFL as a dominant runner and receiver.  As a rookie, he led the league in YPC with 6.1 YPC on over 700 yards rushing as well as 800 yards receiving.  He was also 2nd in the NFL in total TDs with 14.  Not quite peak Marshall Faulk, but given his limited touches, its about as close to Marshall Faulk as we've seen in the last 15 years.

Also note that RB is the position where we see great players typically dominate right off the bat.   Other positions like QB and WR take time.  Thus, it didn't surprise me that of all the "bold picks" I made last year, that it was my pick on who the best RB in the class was gonna be that panned out first.  

bLFmnGGy35LBxhYLRiJknpj5Ta1eGhT49CKAgM5McpFUqkjhlKztGdVudl3K4dzFC4Q0REDzyULoYvMYG4KT72ZrEoDp1lRBka-RGtES6kNQ6-bYHqHpHtH9O-cuLAB2OQEhAY6Y   

I wasn't around on this website last year, but this was my top 10 RBs as you can see. And no, I didn't edit it. The thing at the top says "Last edit was on April 24th, 2017." Sorry if it's a bit hard to see, I just took a screenshot and stuff. I had Kamara as No. 1 too. I was just commenting earlier that you remind people that you got this one right all the time.

28 minutes ago, VanS said:

People are sheep in general.  If an authority figure endorses something, they will follow suit.  That is one of my pet peeves when it comes to the draft process.  Its typically a game of follow the leader.  Very few people exercise independent thought.

There's some merit to this opinion, but there's also an inclination by some to go too far in the other direction and be contrarians.

Archived