The Baker Mayfield Conundrum

RandyMossIsBoss

51 minutes ago, AlNFL19 said:

bLFmnGGy35LBxhYLRiJknpj5Ta1eGhT49CKAgM5McpFUqkjhlKztGdVudl3K4dzFC4Q0REDzyULoYvMYG4KT72ZrEoDp1lRBka-RGtES6kNQ6-bYHqHpHtH9O-cuLAB2OQEhAY6Y   

I wasn't around on this website last year, but this was my top 10 RBs as you can see. And no, I didn't edit it. The thing at the top says "Last edit was on April 24th, 2017." Sorry if it's a bit hard to see, I just took a screenshot and stuff. I had Kamara as No. 1 too. I was just commenting earlier that you remind people that you got this one right all the time.

Well good to meet you then.  I thought I was on an island by myself last year when it came to Alvin as the RB1 in the 2017 NFL Draft.  I didn't see anyone in the media ranking him as the #1 RB in the class. 

55 minutes ago, AlNFL19 said:

bLFmnGGy35LBxhYLRiJknpj5Ta1eGhT49CKAgM5McpFUqkjhlKztGdVudl3K4dzFC4Q0REDzyULoYvMYG4KT72ZrEoDp1lRBka-RGtES6kNQ6-bYHqHpHtH9O-cuLAB2OQEhAY6Y   

I wasn't around on this website last year, but this was my top 10 RBs as you can see. And no, I didn't edit it. The thing at the top says "Last edit was on April 24th, 2017." Sorry if it's a bit hard to see, I just took a screenshot and stuff. I had Kamara as No. 1 too. I was just commenting earlier that you remind people that you got this one right all the time.

Tbf if people werent bringing up Josh Dobbs so much with him, there probably wouldnt be so many Kamara references. Bottom line if people are going to call him out for Dobbs, he has every right to beat his chest about kamara

37 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Tbf if people werent bringing up Josh Dobbs so much with him, there probably wouldnt be so many Kamara references. Bottom line if people are going to call him out for Dobbs, he has every right to beat his chest about kamara

This is also a QB thread, and the poster criticizing him was criticizing his QB evaluations, so . . . .

What had happened was... front offices are skeptical of short QBs. I think there’s quite a substantial stigma attached. They’ve gotten a chance to really dig into him with private workouts and interviews to see he’s worthy of a high selection. 

IMO he’s a top 10 player but cringe when people say Browns want him at 1. Clearly not the best QB in the class.

14 hours ago, VanS said:

Receivers typically take nearly as long as quarterbacks when it comes to transitioning into the NFL.  Go and look up Antonio Brown and Calvin Johnson's rookie year stats.  Nothing exceptional about them.  And this is without me using the fact Corey Davis struggled with a hamstring injury all season.  I still except him to be in contention for the best receiver in the NFL over the next 10 years along with Antonio Callaway.

With regard to Lattimore, I made it clear that his hamstring issues scared me which is why I didn't rank him among my top corners.  In terms of pure talent he would have been #3 on my list after Cam Sutton and Jourdan Lewis.  However, I didn't think he would play long enough to warrant a high ranking.  I also didn't rank Reuben Foster high because of his character and injury issues and that looks to be a good call right now.  We'll see if those recurring hamstring issues are a thing of the past for Lattimore.  With regard to Cam Sutton, he might not be flashy or the most physically talented, but he is an intelligent player who will carve out a very long career like 90s CB Eric Allen.  That is my pro-comp for him.  They have similar size, athletic ability, and intangibles.  Look for him to break out this season with the Steelers after suffering from hamstring issues last year.

Amusing you're still deflecting.  You made the argument that physical tools >>> college production, yet the NFL is littered with players who were elite athletes but mediocre football players.  Chris Henry, DHB, JaMarcus Russell, etc. were all great athletes with tremendous physical tools, yet amounted to NOTHING in the NFL.  It's a combination of strong physical attributes and strong college production.

14 hours ago, VanS said:

Yes.  However, I didn't find it to be as impressive as Allen, Darnold, or Jackson.  Mayfield will struggle to escape the pocket under pressure in the NFL.

The same Josh Allen whose accuracy crumbles under pressure?  Yeah, not going to continue this discussion.

14 hours ago, VanS said:

People are sheep in general.  If an authority figure endorses something, they will follow suit.  That is one of my pet peeves when it comes to the draft process.  Its typically a game of follow the leader.  Very few people exercise independent thought.

That's generally the casual fan/scout.  Those who actually take their time to watch football generally don't have that same issue.

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Amusing you're still deflecting.  You made the argument that physical tools >>> college production, yet the NFL is littered with players who were elite athletes but mediocre football players.  Chris Henry, DHB, JaMarcus Russell, etc. were all great athletes with tremendous physical tools, yet amounted to NOTHING in the NFL.  It's a combination of strong physical attributes and strong college production.

There are plenty of guys who had strong physical attributes and strong college production who flame out too.  I personally put a lot of stock in the mental aspects, the technique, but the bust piles are full of those guys as well. At some point we have to admit that its hard to play in the nfl and its hard to say there is a science to evaluating talent.  If we were all such great evaluators we'd b working in the nfl.  For anybody on this board to be convinced we are 100% right about our evaluation of anybody is fool hardy at best. Thats why i love this site.  There are a wide variety of opinions and ultimately time will tell.

Archived