Broncos QB Battle - Siemian it is

AnAngryAmerican

Who Wins the QB Battle?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins the QB Battle?

• Trevor Siemian
    • Paxton Lynch

Interesting what all is going transpire with the Broncos over the next few season.  I am not expecting much this season, other than I want to see the young guys evolve.  However, the Broncos do need a QB.  I think Elway is doing the right things to unearth the next signal caller...law of averages works...just stack the line up with QBs and see who becomes the next big thing.  Even in the draft next year there is going to be a Wentz, a Dak, a R. Wilson in there that can be had...and, it seems like the Broncos are just a QB away.  

Just for pure storyline reasons here is my dream season: 

Trevor leads the broncos hot out of the gate to a 5-1 start. The offense doesn't look great but we're winning.

He gets hurt against the Chiefs and Paxton replaces him and looks ok. It's a simple offense and throws the chiefs off balance but we still lose. It's hard to win in Arrowhead. 

The next two weeks the real Paxton shows up and we get throttled. Turnovers and three and outs galore. We lose to both the Eagles and Pats handily. 

Brent takes over. By this point in the season the OL has really stated to gel and the running game is top 10. With some play action sprinkled in the offense starts to score around league average (21-27 ppg) and the broncos win 5 of their next six.

The broncos and chiefs have matching 10-5 records heading into the final game of the season. Trevor is healthy but they go with the hot hand in Os. He struggles under the pressure and the score is 7-3 KC at the half. Out trots Trevor to start the second half. Broncos win 17-14 on a late McMannus FG! Trevor starts in the playoffs. Brent is sad again.

12 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

5f71fa648105cf15ae5c8900af69ab4f13827bceI saw this image when he went looking for greener pastures and have called him Brent ever since. 

confused me to..........but I like the name "flopweiler"......I just can't imagine that locker room atmosphere with TJ run out and welcoming back the backstabber.......ill say it again they better start off hot or it will fall apart.  We saw it  last year when the d turned on the offense.  This year the whole team may revolt against management.   

How is Brock a backstabber? Helped us win the #1 seed in 2015,  didn't take our money in his run as a horrible starting QB, got us a compensatory pick and now he's coming back for nothing. Really, he's been an incredible asset to this organization since Peyton's injury in 2015. What is there to hate?

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

How is Brock a backstabber? Helped us win the #1 seed in 2015,  didn't take our money in his run as a horrible starting QB, got us a compensatory pick and now he's coming back for nothing. Really, he's been an incredible asset to this organization since Peyton's injury in 2015. What is there to hate?

You know I tend to lean this way.  I mean, in the starts he had with the Broncos during the Super Bowl run.  He looked good.  Even in the San Diego game when he got pulled, the turnovers weren't the result of his play.  It seemed like guys were dropping passes and fumbling the rock, which led to Brock's benching, which I don't think was nothing more than Kubiak trying to ignite THE RUN to the Super Bowl.  I don't think it was an indictment of Brock's play...maybe a little bit...but, I certainly think they saw Brock as the heir apparent.  I mean, he has experience in BIG games...and has produced in those BIG games.  

Unfortunately, unless Siemien just sets the world on fire, which I hope he does.  There  will be, now, a QB controversy among three QBs...maybe four if the Broncos draft, or sign another one next year...unless that QB is Drew Brees, or Kirk Cousins.  But, when Paxton can play, what then?  Paxton for his faults, has shown some flashes of competence from what we read when he went 12-12 in a 49ers scrimmage.  So, I don't think Paxton gets the boot...there is something there.  And, then again...Osweiller has the experience and was Elways guys to replace Manning.  Then there is Siemien who just keeps the steadiness to keep winning out at the position.  

The Broncos have some serious issues as that position.  I really hope Siemien settles it out and is the second coming of Joe Montana.    

Lynch is going to get four years to produce if there is any indication he is capable. He's under contract and Elway wont want to dump a first round pick.

I think Osweiler could be interesting - he doesn't have the brains of Siemian but has a much bigger arm. When he was here he was comparable to what Siemian did last season. Going to Houston was a massive mistake for Os - he chased the money. Kubiak ran a relatively simple offence - O'Brien's offence is, by all accounts, extremely complex. Recently Osweiler claimed that he got little or no coaching in Houston and no help learning the complexities of the play book. O'Brien signed him without ever having talked to him and I think when he got Os to Houston he adopted the attitude that he was being paid huge money and it was sink or swim. Absolutely nobody has any expectations of Osweiler doing anything here - he is simply regarded as filling the gap until Lynch recovers from his injury. But so far Lynch sucks and if Osweiler shows any signs of understanding the playbook and is able to show flashes in training then I think he might be kept around.

JST said that Elway is going to keep piling up QBs in the hope that one of them starts to produce - at the moment there is no reason to think that Osweiler will just be dumped at the first opportunity. I still think Siemian will continue to make slow, steady and consistent progress and hopefully he will make enough progress to take the pressure off. Let's see what happens - I couldn't care less which one of them is the QB as long as the one that plays at least puts the team in a position to take advantage of the defence to win games.

23 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

Lynch is going to get four years to produce if there is any indication he is capable. He's under contract and Elway wont want to dump a first round pick.

I think Osweiler could be interesting - he doesn't have the brains of Siemian but has a much bigger arm. When he was here he was comparable to what Siemian did last season. Going to Houston was a massive mistake for Os - he chased the money. Kubiak ran a relatively simple offence - O'Brien's offence is, by all accounts, extremely complex. Recently Osweiler claimed that he got little or no coaching in Houston and no help learning the complexities of the play book. O'Brien signed him without ever having talked to him and I think when he got Os to Houston he adopted the attitude that he was being paid huge money and it was sink or swim. Absolutely nobody has any expectations of Osweiler doing anything here - he is simply regarded as filling the gap until Lynch recovers from his injury. But so far Lynch sucks and if Osweiler shows any signs of understanding the playbook and is able to show flashes in training then I think he might be kept around.

JST said that Elway is going to keep piling up QBs in the hope that one of them starts to produce - at the moment there is no reason to think that Osweiler will just be dumped at the first opportunity. I still think Siemian will continue to make slow, steady and consistent progress and hopefully he will make enough progress to take the pressure off. Let's see what happens - I couldn't care less which one of them is the QB as long as the one that plays at least puts the team in a position to take advantage of the defence to win games.

Very fair take - only qualifier is that Oz has had 5 years of pro experience and 3 with PFM on the team.   If he hasn't developed in D recognition or pocket awareness that's not only attributable to HOU's scheme they were clear weaknesses we hoped would improve if he stayed with us (and didn't last year for sure).  Or looking off safeties (which at his height is a must, and something PFM was a master at).  Those 3 problem areas we can't lay at HOU's feet.  It was certainly nuts for HOU to offer him a deal without even interviewing him he was set up to fail there.  But we should be mindful of the warts that gave us pause when we were debating on keeping him at more-than-bargain $.   Now that's he's min-wage it's a no brainer call to bring him back as our backup with Lynch hurt (and showing zero progress b4 getting hurt) but it's not like his flaws weren't there before.   To have it at 5 years pro experience makes it a tougher proposotion that those flaws suddenly disappear. 

It still doesn't mean he isn't our best choice to be a backup but it reduces the likelihood Osweiler is a long term solution.  Either way we don't have to worry about risk since we've made no long term commitment.   But because of the above flaws that were there before 2016 happened (and only became easier to see in HOU), I'd love to be wrong here but if we need Os for any significant PT I'd say we are still in deep trouble.   Siemian may or may not be our 2018+ answer but the gap between him and Os/Lynch is still pretty steep this year.  

It's funny because Brock looked way more comfortable playing with us. He was making great reads and throws. There was no pressure on him when Peyton was injured and declining. In Houston the pressure to live up to that contract I believe got to him.

Lynch very similarly was playing the same way this preseason he wasn't playimg relaxed with confidence. I think the pressure of the qb battle got to him.

We'll see how many of them declare but I love this potential 2018 QB class. We may be out of range for Darnold, Allen and Rosen, but what about Mason Rudolph or Lamar Jackson? Siemian's a free agent in 2019 so we can afford a year of pure development for a QB. 

To me, it seems like we took our shot on a QB in a really weak class in 2016.  For a contender that was a miscalculation. Getting value in a deep QB class seems like the way to go. 

20 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

We'll see how many of them declare but I love this potential 2018 QB class. We may be out of range for Darnold, Allen and Rosen, but what about Mason Rudolph or Lamar Jackson? Siemian's a free agent in 2019 so we can afford a year of pure development for a QB. 

To me, it seems like we took our shot on a QB in a really weak class in 2016.  For a contender that was a miscalculation. Getting value in a deep QB class seems like the way to go. 

At the time the 2016 crop didn't look bad with a qb guru like andy reid or jerry jones wanting lynch. 

I really wanna trade up for one I dont wanna have to bank on a steal or 3rd qb in a draft class which is all elway has done.

Lets go for broke to land our man Elway is great at late round picks.

58 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

At the time the 2016 crop didn't look bad with a qb guru like andy reid or jerry jones wanting lynch. 

I really wanna trade up for one I dont wanna have to bank on a steal or 3rd qb in a draft class which is all elway has done.

Lets go for broke to land our man Elway is great at late round picks.

The point is that the 5th or 6th best QB in this upcoming draft looks better than the 3rd best QB in most drafts. And the 3rd best QB in this draft might be the best in other drafts.

38 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

The point is that the 5th or 6th best QB in this upcoming draft looks better than the 3rd best QB in most drafts. And the 3rd best QB in this draft might be the best in other drafts.

that would be nice hasn't happened since eli, rivers, big ben

I really don't think Brent has a chance to push Siemien for the starting spot. Trevor showed a better mind for the game his first preseason snaps as a R7 rookie over Os coming into his like 3rd year with PFM as a mentor. He is a mental midget with a sidearm throwing motion that totally negates his size and the pocket presence of a retarded sloth.

Archived