Broncos QB Battle - Siemian it is

AnAngryAmerican

Who Wins the QB Battle?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins the QB Battle?

• Trevor Siemian
    • Paxton Lynch

4 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Dak Prescott plays behind one of the best OLs in modern memory, and had a very simplified offense and maybe one of the league's best young players (if not a questionable person).

To say Dak could come here with a Swiss cheese OL and everything would be the same is a huge stretch and probably not true at all.

Thank you. I am so sick and tired of ill-informed football "fans" touting Dak Prescott as if he's Joe Montana because ratings-chasing hype factories the national media obsesses over all things Dallas. 

10 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Thank you. I am so sick and tired of ill-informed football "fans" touting Dak Prescott as if he's Joe Montana because ratings-chasing hype factories the national media obsesses over all things Dallas. 

The guy is still accurate which a majority on here knocked him for. He's still poised, still a leader, still makes quick reads all that gpod stuff.

I don't disagree about the national media being cowboy fanboys. His ceiling isn't where the media makes it out to be.

But for us I'd feel much better having top 16 qb production. I'd feel much better having him in the qb competition rather than hoping lynch wakes up and the light switches on again.

9 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

The guy is still accurate which a majority on here knocked him for. He's still poised, still a leader, still makes quick reads all that gpod stuff.

I don't disagree about the national media being cowboy fanboys. His ceiling isn't where the media makes it out to be.

But for us I'd feel much better having top 16 qb production. I'd feel much better having him in the qb competition rather than hoping lynch wakes up and the light switches on again.

The main narrative I've seen on Dak is taking credit away from him due to Zeke and the OLine, tbh. I don't watch ESPN though. I'd almost lean towards the he is underappreciated side of things. What he did last year was fantastic so it will be interesting to see if he will avoid the sophomore slump.

21 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

So maybe this is ridiculous but other than hearing that hes kind of a POS what are the long term prospects for Chad Kelly?

Physically he's got the tools.  He played in a more pro based system and has the arm strength and accuracy from his college days and knew his playbook well.   

He also displayed awful maturity and bad on the field decision making at times.  Probably the 2 go hand in hand.  But he's got potential.   He probably would have been the 3rd-4th QB taken in this admittedly weak class if healthy and not such a head case. 

If he's learned from his mistakes and has truly matured then there's a legit chance.  At worst he'd be a viable backup if he's got no off the field baggage.    Reality is he will benefit from an IR year like Siemian to learn a NFL pro playbook and reads.  And more importantly to grow up.   That will likely be the biggest step.  

Kelly has natural talent, but it's overblown. There's too many Broncos fans acting like he's a shoo-in starter for next year which is laughable. Kelly has deficiencies in his game and they start between the ears which isn't a good thing. QB is the most important position in any sport, not just football. Regardless of how bad your personality is, teams will take fliers on guys because the position is just that important. To that end, it tells me all I need to know about Kelly's skillset that he was taken with the last pick in the draft. He has upside, but he's not a 1st round talent. 

3 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Kelly has natural talent, but it's overblown. There's too many Broncos fans acting like he's a shoo-in starter for next year which is laughable. Kelly has deficiencies in his game and they start between the ears which isn't a good thing. QB is the most important position in any sport, not just football. Regardless of how bad your personality is, teams will take fliers on guys because the position is just that important. To that end, it tells me all I need to know about Kelly's skillset that he was taken with the last pick in the draft. He has upside, but he's not a 1st round talent. 

Thing is though he's got enough tools to be a truly viable backup at worst.   Which we will need after 2018, when Siemian and Lynch aren't cheap anymore.  One of them isn't staying with us (or both) once they aren't cheap.  

But yeah those who are anointing him as the shoo in starter for 2018 are getting away ahead of themselves.  Backup QB for a 7th rounder is a great result. 

34 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Thing is though he's got enough tools to be a truly viable backup at worst.   Which we will need after 2018, when Siemian and Lynch aren't cheap anymore.  One of them isn't staying with us (or both) once they aren't cheap.  

But yeah those who are anointing him as the shoo in starter for 2018 are getting away ahead of themselves.  Backup QB for a 7th rounder is a great result. 

I think it would be pretty bold to assume even one of those guys won't be cheap on their next contract at this point lol

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

57 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Chad Kelly is intriguing. I think that's the appeal. When coupled with the fact that both Paxton and Trevor have done little of note, I can see why some fans want to see what the famous-named rookie QB has to offer. It's another reason why Sloter is getting so much love; a guy at the bar the other day was telling me they should just start him. That's something that's not happening and Vance threw cold water all over it yesterday. Sloter will be a PS guy this year and Kelly will either make the final 53 or be placed on IR as they're not going to roll the dice on hoping he clears waivers. 

Kelly & Butt & now Henderson are locks for IR or PUP.  It just helps us compete this year, doesn't expose them to waivers like @AnAngryAmerican alluded to, and they fit our long-term plans.  TBH, this was the best case scenario - if you can't really help us this year, don't tie up a dead 53-man roster spot, but don't get a career-threatening injury, either.   

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

I don't think it is. He has great arm strength and mobility, good accuracy and anticipation. While at Ole Miss, he was a leader on the field and someone his teammates rallied around. They swear by him to this day. He has the pedigree, talent, and drive to be a successful starting QB in the NFL, providing he matures. He's the only QB on our roster right now with franchise QB potential, IMO.

17 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

@AnAngryAmerican - do you get access to the practices now?  It's now all closed to the public, so all we get are reporter tweets, so not as good info obv.   Paxton's day with 1st team O not so great, another pick, just curious if you are on-site or not.

No I'm not on site. I used to work for a website that covered the NFL and I was able to occasionally get credentialed by the Broncos. Once that website went to hell and became a click-bait factory I quit. Now I just do high school sports and the occasional CSU game, my day job keeps me pretty busy. The two practices I went to this season I just went to as a fan. However, I am in semi-regular contact with a full-time beat reporter for the Broncos, a name you would all know and respect. Today he said the QB competition needs to be over; Trevor continues to be solid and Paxton continues to make mistakes. It's really disconcerting from my perspective that the coaches want to continue to just drag this thing out, we need to get Trevor and first team offense as much time to develop chemistry as possible before the regular season. 

Archived