Broncos QB Battle - Siemian it is

AnAngryAmerican

Who Wins the QB Battle?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins the QB Battle?

• Trevor Siemian
    • Paxton Lynch

Today he said the QB competition needs to be over; Trevor continues to be solid and Paxton continues to make mistakes. It's really disconcerting from my perspective that the coaches want to continue to just drag this thing out, we need to get Trevor and first team offense as much time to develop chemistry as possible before the regular season. 

I hate to toot my own horn, but this is basically exactly what I predicted. Trevor would continue to be the best QB on this team but Elway would push the rookie HC to keep giving Paxton shots because he is 'his guy', more so than Trevor at least.

There never was a competition when the pads are actually on. Trevor has the mental acumen to play passably, even shine at times.

Lynch is all measurable with no feel. When he immediately dropped his eyes after his first read was covered and ran the ball I just about cried. I was hoping an offseason of work would help him 'get it'. I am an 'aw shucks' type guy so I don't say this with hate, but Lynch strikes me as a similar, super laid back type person and that's generally just not the mentality you need at QB. throw in a bit of air-headedness (And lets be frank, he seems a bit ditsy), and its pretty troubling. I hate making these types of 'grasping at straws' type of besmirchment on a players personality but I think they may be true in Lynch's case.

46 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I hate to toot my own horn, but this is basically exactly what I predicted. Trevor would continue to be the best QB on this team but Elway would push the rookie HC to keep giving Paxton shots because he is 'his guy', more so than Trevor at least.

There never was a competition when the pads are actually on. Trevor has the mental acumen to play passably, even shine at times.

Lynch is all measurable with no feel. When he immediately dropped his eyes after his first read was covered and ran the ball I just about cried. I was hoping an offseason of work would help him 'get it'. I am an 'aw shucks' type guy so I don't say this with hate, but Lynch strikes me as a similar, super laid back type person and that's generally just not the mentality you need at QB. throw in a bit of air-headedness (And lets be frank, he seems a bit ditsy), and its pretty troubling. I hate making these types of 'grasping at straws' type of besmirchment on a players personality but I think they may be true in Lynch's case.

I have no choice but to agree with you. And, like you, it's not out mean-spiritedness but I agree with your assessment of Paxton. That's not to say we can write him off as a bust but he has not developed and the way a QB should from year one to year two and next year is make or break. 

I am, however, of the belief that the only way for a player like Paxton to really improve is to play in real games. The problem is that with the veteran talent on this team, a front office and ownership group (not to mention fan base and media) that demands a Super Bowl contending team every year, we have to start the QB who gives us the best chance to win or Vance & Co. risk not only losing the locker room but also support of the fan base. And we don't have to look too far back to know what happens when this fan base turns on a coaching staff to know how quickly it forces leadership's hand. 

6 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

It's because Siemian is a milquetoast, marginal talent that's not going to take us anywhere. It's why Elway is/was banking on Lynch winning the job because he knew what we had in Siemian. Too bad that Lynch is not ready right now and who knows if he's ever going to be.

Well he has two options there. He can say there's a timetable or he can say there's no timetable. If you say there's a timetable, that leads to more speculation by nature. The extra step in specifying that timetable would of course be horrible for the QB competition. To me, they should keep everything as in the dark as they possibly can so this can play out naturally without the distractions of arbitrary deadlines. So I think he's just being intentionally vague, as vague as possible. I still think Trevor will be named starter by this time next week.

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

Well he has two options there. He can say there's a timetable or he can say there's no timetable. If you say there's a timetable, that leads to more speculation by nature. The extra step in specifying that timetable would of course be horrible for the QB competition. To me, they should keep everything as in the dark as they possibly can so this can play out naturally without the distractions of arbitrary deadlines. So I think he's just being intentionally vague, as vague as possible. I still think Trevor will be named starter by this time next week.

I don't think saying "We want to have a starter by the 3rd preseason game" would've caused any harm, but w/e. We need to name someone the starter soon than later if just for reps and chemistry purposes.

FWIW once they said they were giving both guys a start Elway couldn't say differently than above in public.   Otherwise there is no point to playing Lynch Saturday with 1st team.   I don't see another conclusion than starting the year with Siemian but I think the earliest we will hear is next Monday.    

As long as he's not really saying in private with the team that it's a dead heat then it's fine.  Since it's obvious who is ready and who isn't right now then anything else said other than "this is your shot to catch up but Trevor is way ahead" wouldn't fly with the vets.  Even Renck Klis and every other beat reporter sees as much.  Their word isn't final but they aren't idiots and I'm sure Elway VJ McCoy and Musgrave know this as well. 

I know many probably don't wanna hear what I'm about to say. But the longer this qb battle gets drawn out the more likely we are to all be surprised when Lynch is named the starter. I think if lynch shows anything saturday he is going to be the starter.

I think even if we see flashes lynch will be the starter. Trevor will be what he always is Saturday so lynch wont have to do much.

18 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I know many probably don't wanna hear what I'm about to say. But the longer this qb battle gets drawn out the more likely we are to all be surprised when Lynch is named the starter. I think if lynch shows anything saturday he is going to be the starter.

I think even if we see flashes lynch will be the starter. Trevor will be what he always is Saturday so lynch wont have to do much.

I don't think it's that anyone doesn't want to hear it. Truthfully, if Paxton could improve his ability to go through progressions, keep his eyes down field, not be so quick to scramble and be even slightly more consistent with his mechanics, I'd prefer him as the starter because he brings a lot more to the table from an athletic perspective. But from what I've seen in person at camp, what we all saw in the preseason game last week and what all the reporters are reporting from practice every day, he cannot do those things. The players see this too and if Vance picks someone they deem to be the inferior player he risks losing the locker room, a point several of us have made many times over the last couple weeks. 

That being said, I think you are 100% correct that the longer they drag this out, the better Paxton's chances are; they're giving him every possible chance to do something that they can point to say, "look, that's why we drafted him in the first round!"

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I don't think it's that anyone doesn't want to hear it. Truthfully, if Paxton could improve his ability to go through progressions, keep his eyes down field, not be so quick to scramble and be even slightly more consistent with his mechanics, I'd prefer him as the starter because he brings a lot more to the table from an athletic perspective. But from what I've seen in person at camp, what we all saw in the preseason game last week and what all the reporters are reporting from practice every day, he cannot do those things. The players see this too and if Vance picks someone they deem to be the inferior player he risks losing the locker room, a point several of us have made many times over the last couple weeks. 

That being said, I think you are 100% correct that the longer they drag this out, the better Paxton's chances are; they're giving him every possible chance to do something that they can point to say, "look, that's why we drafted him in the first round!"

Totally agree. I think they are pretty aware of what they have in Siemian and what he is going to give you. Might as well give Paxton another week to show something (anything).  

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

What I'm super interested in seeing is what happens with Lynch in the first 15 -20 scripted plays. 

I think if he shows enough comfort, and reads, and abilities in those first two drives which is possible. I think the coaching staff leans his way because he's only going to improve with experience.

Our run game and oline will get better I have a huge feeling lynch is gonna get thrown into the fire.

I think Lynch will show just enough for us to foolishly hand the keys to him, only to have him stumble out of the gate, go 1-4 or 2-3 early and revert to Trevor in a desperate attempt to salvage our season.

I still am team Trevor. I think he can take us to the playoffs if the OL plays middle-of-the-pack at least.

With Lynch, I think we can chalk this up to a sunk year. I just cant convince myself that he isn't a taller Kyle Boller.

13 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I think Lynch will show just enough for us to foolishly hand the keys to him, only to have him stumble out of the gate, go 1-4 or 2-3 early and revert to Trevor in a desperate attempt to salvage our season.

I still am team Trevor. I think he can take us to the playoffs if the OL plays middle-of-the-pack at least.

With Lynch, I think we can chalk this up to a sunk year. I just cant convince myself that he isn't a taller Kyle Boller.

As bad and uncomfortable as lynch looked. I just think with Siemian it would be a long year no matter what.

I still think siemian is a marginal qb was 4th in the league at throwing uncatchable balls, was terrible at moving the chains on third down. I get our oline was bad but from the looks of it he looks like he's the same guy.

I mean as far as winning goes I'd rather put my eggs into the paxton lynch basket of being raw and hoping he gets it and the lights turn on.

Because there's two excuses for Siemian I don't buy completely. His injury is said to stunt his growth last year which I don't buy at all. I think it was more teams had gotten film on him and keyd in on his limitations. The second the o line is the only reason why our offense was bad last year and couldn't sustain drives, and they're also the reason trevor was so conservative. I buy this a little our offense might get a little better with oline play but Siemian is still a limited qb.

And Mike Mccoy is another reason I wanna see Lynch in there. We say this team can't win games with Lynch starting. Even though Mccoy did it with Tebow?

This defense is way better than that defense, this offense is better around the qb than that offense, Lynch at his worst is a better qb under center than Tebow.

Archived