Broncos QB Battle - Siemian it is

AnAngryAmerican

Who Wins the QB Battle?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins the QB Battle?

• Trevor Siemian
    • Paxton Lynch

5 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

I wouldn't mind us taking a swing at Jimmy G next year if he becomes a FA. He shouldn't cost that much. (relative to other starting QBs)

Maybe around 15-18 mil per?

Living in New England, it doesn't sound like there's any way the Pats will let Jimmy G get loose.  I'd be all for it if they did though.

Someone is gonna give Garoppolo silly money and he'll be the next Brock Osweiler. A hard pass if I ever saw one.

Brock got $18m a year based on that run in November and December last year, and Glennon got like $15m for a year of starting and then three years of backup up McCown/Jameis. Garoppolo is probably going to get over $20m/year on the open market and Kirk Cousins will be one of the best paid QBs in football.

Honestly I'm not convinced that Garoppolo has a brighter future than Trevor Siemian and whilst I think Cousins is better than both, I'm not sure I'd compromise our star-studded defense to make him the best paid QB in the league. Let's see what Trevor Siemian can do this year.

Siemian led an offense to 10 points in a must win game against Tennessee. Dude has a lot to prove this year despite a pro bowl invite or whatever. 

Although shoutout to Bennie Fowler with the worst drop of the year in that one. 

35 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Siemian led an offense to 10 points in a must win game against Tennessee. Dude has a lot to prove this year despite a pro bowl invite or whatever. 

Also Derby with the fumble when we would have been in FG territory. We were so un-clutch in the latter part of our schedule.

8 hours ago, champ11 said:

I mean, that's true, but he also played out of his mind in some other close games. He looked like what you'd expect an essential rookie QB to look like. That isn't necessarily a negative, it's just reality. And it all comes down to the perception of his draft position. Because if Siemian was a first rounder with the season he had, the hype would be ASTRONOMICAL.

3 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I mean, that's true, but he also played out of his mind in some other close games. He looked like what you'd expect an essential rookie QB to look like. That isn't necessarily a negative, it's just reality. And it all comes down to the perception of his draft position. Because if Siemian was a first rounder with the season he had, the hype would be ASTRONOMICAL.

There are some points with this I disagree with.

1.  Siemian wasn't a rookie.  He'd spent a year in the NFL.  He wasn't "thrown into the fire" he had a year of preparation before he was asked to compete for the job.  It gets underestimated how important a year can be for a competitor who wants the starting job.

2.  The draft position point also doesn't really make sense to me. Siemian isn't talented, I've said it a hundred times he's average at best.  Meaning, what we saw last year is probably what he is.  So sure, if for instance Lynch came out and played like Siemian did last season there'd be much more optimism because physically Siemian doesn't compare.  He doesn't compare to the majority of starters in the league, he's actually very comparable to Brian Hoyer physically.  He's literally average at best across the board, from his size to his arm, to his legs, hell even his decision making which I've seen get listed as his greatest strength.  If he had even a trait or 2 to be excited about I don't think his draft position would even matter.  To me he is what he is.  An average QB.

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

There are some points with this I disagree with.

1.  Siemian wasn't a rookie.  He'd spent a year in the NFL.  He wasn't "thrown into the fire" he had a year of preparation before he was asked to compete for the job.  It gets underestimated how important a year can be for a competitor who wants the starting job.

2.  The draft position point also doesn't really make sense to me. Siemian isn't talented, I've said it a hundred times he's average at best.  Meaning, what we saw last year is probably what he is.  So sure, if for instance Lynch came out and played like Siemian did last season there'd be much more optimism because physically Siemian doesn't compare.  He doesn't compare to the majority of starters in the league, he's actually very comparable to Brian Hoyer physically.  He's literally average at best across the board, from his size to his arm, to his legs, hell even his decision making which I've seen get listed as his greatest strength.  If he had even a trait or 2 to be excited about I don't think his draft position would even matter.  To me he is what he is.  An average QB.

I largely agree with you the poster you are quoting basically saying Trevor is an up and coming franchise qb and everything I've seen and you eluded to begs to differ.

With all that being said I do think trevor is being underrated. I mean guys like Bradford and Alex Smith get pegged as top 16 qbs in this league when Trevor is largely the same type of qb. All do to draft position.

I also think it's nuts to want to ir stash lynch I mean if Siemian goes down I think with Lynch and his running ability alone along with an elite d can win games. I'd also like to see him get reps if this season becomes a lost cause. An Ir stash is stupid if we were to go that,route just release him. I know this last paragraph has nothing to do with Siemian but it's qb worthy.

The roster math sucks with Paxton's injury but it's not the end of the world.

It's really pretty simple, they will do one of two things either a) keep Sloter and try to sneak a guy who should make the roster through waivers, Jamal Carter, Shelby Harris or Tyrique Jarrett being obvious choices or b) PS Sloter and sign some veteran off the street and no, it won't be Kaepernick because whomever the QB is going to get cut 2-3 weeks anyway and Kaepernick is not worth the PR circus that brings to the team. I know your average The Fan listener thinks Sloter is the next Joe Montana but truth be told he's a PS guy who will likely never play a meaningful down in the NFL. He's just another Tom Brandstater.

The thing about cutting one of the aforementioned guys who, sans Paxton's injury makes the final 53, is that some 1,000 players are going to hit the market next Saturday afternoon and thus unless someone has really fallen in total love with one of those guys it's not going to be all that difficult to sneak them onto our PS 24 hours later. 

As 2018 discussion continues - the expected DET extension of Stafford confirmed.  DET had so much cap room it was always the most likely outcome.  

Whats worth noting - the $ involved.  We are clearly outgunned for any premium FA like Cousins.   A mid-level guy like Taylor makes sense esp if released  - but it underlines how crucial having one of Siemian / Lynch be the 2018 long term guy  would be given our tight cap situation next year (not complete cap hell but bottom 10-12 compared to rest of league) and for a while further.  We don't have the cap $ to get an elite QB and won't have the draft capital to get one of the big 3 prospects.   

Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter)
Lions QB Matthew Stafford becomes the highest-paid NFL player in history:... fb.me/6EgyHRxxh

Archived